Mazda 5 - requesting owners feedback

Dgeralds

Hi all, new owner getting White car in 2 weeks. Deluxe model - with mats, solar film premium, camera front & back, air purifier, stroller, roofmount and 100k free servicing or 5 years whichever earlier.

Likely going for PPS. now looking at taobao loots. ;P

Wow! Thats alota stuff! What price and CoE gotten?

Hi Folks,

Need some guidance. I just collected M5 last week. But noticed that that reverse camera does not offer wide angle view. In my old sedan, I used to be able to see cars at the back of my left and right side, but for M5, the view is only of the back and seems very low. Please see attached. Is this due to inferior camera given or the camera positioning is too low due to the tailboard?

Its the positioning of the rear camera.
↡ Advertisement

l / 100km        km/ l         km              total km             petrol

neogwt                               7.94          12.59        629.50                                   95ron

hondavvvtec                      8.06          12.40        620.00

putumayam                       8.10          12.35        617.28                                   shell98

previousviosdriver              8.30          12.05        602.41        27,000                spc95

fabian23                            8.33          12.00        600.00                                    shell95

erwinchua                         10.00        10.00        500.00                                    v power racing

briancsl   13.7/ 100l     

neogwt, how do you achieve such good avg Iitre / 100km ?

briancsl, your reading not quite right ?

Higher octane petrol is for high performance/turbo car or high compression engine.

Edited by Previousviosdriver

l / 100km km/ l km total km petrol

neogwt 7.94 12.59 629.50 95ron

hondavvvtec 8.06 12.40 620.00

putumayam 8.10 12.35 617.28 shell98

previousviosdriver 8.30 12.05 602.41 27,000 spc95

fabian23 8.33 12.00 600.00 shell95

erwinchua 10.00 10.00 500.00 v power racing

briancsl 13.7/ 100l

briancsl, your reading not quite right ?

Higher octane petrol is for high performance/turbo car or high compression engine.

Update as of today, 7.8l/100km :D 2nd tank shell98

Hi all M5, i need help. I just took the new M5 last wk and everything feels good.

Just want to confirm how long it takes to deactivate the blue water icon. Every morning when i start my car, it takes about 3 to 5min to let the blue water icon disappear.

Thanks and appreciate you

Neutral Newbie

118.5k with 56k open cat in oct.

Neutral Newbie

l / 100km        km/ l         km              total km             petrol

neogwt                               7.94          12.59        629.50                                   95ron

hondavvvtec                      8.06          12.40        620.00

putumayam                       8.10          12.35        617.28                                   shell98

previousviosdriver              8.30          12.05        602.41        27,000                spc95

fabian23                            8.33          12.00        600.00                                    shell95

erwinchua                         10.00        10.00        500.00                                    v power racing

briancsl   13.7/ 100l     

briancsl, your reading not quite right ?

Higher octane petrol is for high performance/turbo car or high compression engine.

Hi,

My wife said I drive like a "Gu Niang". I will take a long time to accelerate, sometime to the annoyance of the truck drivers behind me....  More importantly, I always try to maintain a constant speed when driving, example 80 km/hr on highway. 

I have also trained my eyes to monitor the average speed on the display information (usually less than 8 litres/ 100 km). Guess saving fuel has become an obsession for me when I realized that the advertised mileage for Madza 5 was not feasible (one of the compelling reason why I choose Madza 5 to Toyota Wish, based on the advertised mileage). I do use the i-stop intentionally when I sensed that the traffic light is very long.

My car cabin temperature is always kept at 25 degree Celsius, and at the lowest fan speed....  When waiting for someone, I will cut off the ignition and wind down the window. Hope this helps. 

Many thanks Putumayam. Will get them to adjust the angle during servicing.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all M5, i need help. I just took the new M5 last wk and everything feels good.

Just want to confirm how long it takes to deactivate the blue water icon. Every morning when i start my car, it takes about 3 to 5min to let the blue water icon disappear.

Thanks and appreciate you

Hi bro,

Congrat on your new ride! 

Have to admit Madza 5 is a sexy car :)

Personally, I will not wait for the cold engine icon to go off. 

I realized after the announcement "Welcome to Galactio....", the engine sound become smaller... This is usually the cue for me to gently drive the car out of the carpark. I am afraid that idling engine, while waiting for the light to go off, may be bad for the fuel consumption and environment.

Maybe other brothers or experts can share their experience.

Many thanks Putumayam. Will get them to adjust the angle during servicing.

Its not exactly a wide angle camera so there will be limitations as to how much adjustments will help though.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

My wife said I drive like a "Gu Niang". I will take a long time to accelerate, sometime to the annoyance of the truck drivers behind me....  More importantly, I always try to maintain a constant speed when driving, example 80 km/hr on highway. 

I have also trained my eyes to monitor the average speed on the display information (usually less than 8 litres/ 100 km). Guess saving fuel has become an obsession for me when I realized that the advertised mileage for Madza 5 was not feasible (one of the compelling reason why I choose Madza 5 to Toyota Wish, based on the advertised mileage). I do use the i-stop intentionally when I sensed that the traffic light is very long.

My car cabin temperature is always kept at 25 degree Celsius, and at the lowest fan speed....  When waiting for someone, I will cut off the ignition and wind down the window. Hope this helps. 

Sorry.

I have also trained my eyes to monitor the average current speed on the display information (usually less than 8 litres/ 100 km).

Hi,

Neogwt,

Ya, truck or lorry do accelerate harder than me too. Upslope on the highway, I am in 2nd lane and downslope in the 1st lane. I move to 2nd lane coming to a halt at the traffic light if there is a high performance car behind in the first lane. I am driving with constant foot pressure on the gas pedal at speed 70km/h to 80km/h to 90km/h +- 5km/h.

upslope 70km/h

flat 80km/h

downslope 90km/h

The average speed meter is in the middle of the dash board like vios speedometer so that we don't have to focus near and focus far. It is even safer if the meter is on the wind screen. All we have to do is look straight.

My air-con is kept at ambient minus 4 degrees. Of course there are exceptions when my in-laws or guests are in the car. Law has been passed to turn off the engine whe idl 

Hi,

Neogwt,

Ya, truck or lorry do accelerate harder than me too. Upslope on the highway, I am in 2nd lane and downslope in the 1st lane. I move to 2nd lane coming to a halt at the traffic light if there is a high performance car behind in the first lane. I am driving with constant foot pressure on the gas pedal at speed 70km/h to 80km/h to 90km/h +- 5km/h.

upslope 70km/h

flat 80km/h

downslope 90km/h

The average speed meter is in the middle of the dash board like vios speedometer so that we don't have to focus near and focus far. It is even safer if the meter is on the wind screen. All we have to do is look straight.

My air-con is kept at ambient minus 4 degrees. Of course there are exceptions when my in-laws or guests are in the car. Law has been passed to turn off the engine when is idling.

l/100km  km/l     km per tank   total km    petrol
putumayam               7.80      12.35    617.28                           shell98
neogwt                     7.94       12.59   629.50                           95ron
hondavvvtec              8.06       12.40   620.00  
previousviousdriver    8.30      12.05    602.41          27,000       spc 95
fabian23                    8.33     12.00    600.00                           shell95
erwinchua                 10.00    10.00   500.00                            v power racing

I used to pump shell 98 too. I find the car more perky.

26-Oct-16     
Shell fuelsave 98 (98UL) $2.39    
Shell fuelsave 95 (95UL) $2.04    
Increase in price %         17.16%    

putumayam                      7.80    
previousviousdriver          8.30    
Decrease in l/100 km %  -6.02% 

Sometime, the price difference narrows and 98 become attractive.

putumayam, would you like to share with us how do you achieve 7.8 I/100km ?

Neoget, where is 95ron available ?

Like a lot of bros here who recently collected their rides, I too had some misgivings about the I-stop function, the way it cut off the engine for only a few seconds was so irritating. But I'd like to share what I've come to learn (and appreciate) about this often maligned feature. I realised that the reason the engine was only cutting off for a few seconds was because the aircon was set to "Auto" and the preset temperature was set to 22 degrees, which requires more power to keep the car cool. By changing the preset temp to 24 degrees, you should find that the engine cuts off for a longer period of time, without any appreciable difference to the car's inner temp. Of course the cut off period will vary depending on several other factors, but typically it should increase from 2-3 secs to around 8-15 secs. 

You will find that by doing so, the I-stop feature becomes alot more beneficial, and will actually reduce rather than increase your FC. You can also "control" the I-stop by using the brake, stepping lightly on it will stop the car without activating it, while stepping harder will stop the car and activate it.  

I also realized on a recent trip to Japan that this kind of feature is present on almost every single car/bus/taxi there! Just imagine how much we could lower CO2 emissions here if every car in SG had this feature!

Because of these reasons, I barely ever touch the I-stop button.  [:)]

My finding is i stop activates more frequently with petrol 95 than petrol 98.

Is i stop bad for spark plug and battery ?

Hi fabian23, based on your mileage (3k+), I'm guessing your car is pretty new? Congrats on your new ride! I'm also getting about the same FC as you, so nothing to worry about, its normal for city driving, and I've been driving mine for about 15 months now. Just so you know, this car will give you about 17km/L if you try driving up north, I've tried it several times, Penang, Port Dickson, Malacca, and consistently gotten that figure. Mind you, I was travelling with a full load of passengers/baggage and with aircon on, so this is not even close to the lowest figure possible. Btw, I'm using Shell V-Power since day one. What petrol are you using?

The car is advertised to do 15.1km/l.

You are confusing me with 17km/l.

The Citroen Grand Picasso 1.6L diesel was also in my top 3 list, however the deal breaker was the semi-auto transmission, couldn't get over the way the car jerks when it changes up from 1st to 2nd gear...apart from that, there is a very peculiar problem with the placement of the IU due to the depth of the dashboard which prevents you from reaching the IU from a seated position unless you have really long arms. In the end I went with Mazda because of better reliability and overall lower cost of ownership...just my opinion. 

If i am not wrong, they change the gear already. 6 speed automatic with paddle shift. Please clarify.

l/100km km/l km per tank total km petrol

putumayam 7.80 12.35 617.28 shell98

neogwt 7.94 12.59 629.50 95ron

hondavvvtec 8.06 12.40 620.00

previousviousdriver 8.30 12.05 602.41 27,000 spc 95

fabian23 8.33 12.00 600.00 shell95

erwinchua 10.00 10.00 500.00 v power racing

I used to pump shell 98 too. I find the car more perky.

26-Oct-16

Shell fuelsave 98 (98UL) $2.39

Shell fuelsave 95 (95UL) $2.04

Increase in price % 17.16%

putumayam 7.80

previousviousdriver 8.30

Decrease in l/100 km % -6.02%

Sometime, the price difference narrows and 98 become attractive.

putumayam, would you like to share with us how do you achieve 7.8 I/100km ?

Neoget, where is 95ron available ?

Hit 7.7l/100km avg today.

Still on 2nd tank fuel.

Majority of my driving is expressway from northern part of singapore to CBD so that could play a part.

All parts of car still on stock. No mods.

Istop almost 100% of time. Seems to help with the fuel efficiency once u get used to controlling it with your pedal well.

Feel gear changes. Try not to drag the 6speed auto when gear changing as far as possible. What i do is if the gear drags quite abit past 2k, i release accelerator lightly and the gear will change up. Follow up w more gas as necessary.

Driving spd close to expressway spd limit.

Learn to decelerate and engine break in advance and not jam the brakes too often, as this will save fuel and ur brakepads.

Edited by Putumayam

Hit 7.7l/100km avg today.

Still on 2nd tank fuel.

Majority of my driving is expressway from northern part of singapore to CBD so that could play a part.

All parts of car still on stock. No mods.

Istop almost 100% of time. Seems to help with the fuel efficiency once u get used to controlling it with your petrol well.

Feel gear changes. Try not to drag the 6speed auto when gear changing as far as possible. What i do is if the gear drags quite abit past 2k, i release accelerator lightly and the gear will change up. Follow up w more gas as necessary.

Driving spd close to expressway spd limit.

Learn to decelerate and engine break in advance and not jam the brakes too often, as this will save fuel and ur brakepads.

7.7l /100km or 12.98 km/l impressive !!! closer and closer to 15.1l /100km.

Northern part to CBD. No jam at CTE. When do you start your engine ?

No Mods. What is your average tire pressure at the petrol station ?

I istop too. DSC off, rear mirror light off.

Release accelerator for gear up shift !!! Manually controlling automatic gear !!!

Sometime when the current is too high, I release the accelerator and immediately step on the accelerator. The current drops quite a bit.

Let go of gas pedal coming to a stop at the traffic light. However, if you are in a straight and right turn lane and you slow down too much to change lane to the right turning only lane, the car behind may miss chance to pass the junction.

Does anyone use manual gear in a jam on the highway? I use it to up shift faster. My manual gear vios last 10 years with pre-mature up shift. Move off from gear 2 or jump 1 gear or gear 5 for upslope and neutral gear when slowing down (don't follow me). Many time I forgot to change back to auto when I am off the highway (mazda5). At the first junction, I drag the gear. Sigh. 

Once I drove down my first vios from genting highlands with 5 other passengers. You know, Genting has many straight slope. Therefore the car can be hard to slow down with heavy load. I used foot pedal, hand brake and engine brake. Guess what happened. I lost clutch. My lesson is use the foot brake for slowing down and clutch is not for slowing down car.

Putumayam, how do you control engine break with no clutch pedal ? I do feel down shift on down slope some time.

Bro, engine is more expensive than brake pedal and does 6 to 7 functions.

7.7l /100km or 12.98 km/l impressive !!! closer and closer to 15.1l /100km.

Northern part to CBD. No jam at CTE. When do you start your engine ?

No Mods. What is your average tire pressure at the petrol station ?

I istop too. DSC off, rear mirror light off.

Release accelerator for gear up shift !!! Manually controlling automatic gear !!!

Sometime when the current is too high, I release the accelerator and immediately step on the accelerator. The current drops quite a bit.

Let go of gas pedal coming to a stop at the traffic light. However, if you are in a straight and right turn lane and you slow down too much to change lane to the right turning only lane, the car behind may miss chance to pass the junction.

Does anyone use manual gear in a jam on the highway? I use it to up shift faster. My manual gear vios last 10 years with pre-mature up shift. Move off from gear 2 or jump 1 gear or gear 5 for upslope and neutral gear when slowing down (don't follow me). Many time I forgot to change back to auto when I am off the highway (mazda5). At the first junction, I drag the gear. Sigh.

Once I drove down my first vios from genting highlands with 5 other passengers. You know, Genting has many straight slope. Therefore the car can be hard to slow down with heavy load. I used foot pedal, hand brake and engine brake. Guess what happened. I lost clutch. My lesson is use the foot brake for slowing down and clutch is not for slowing down car.

Putumayam, how do you control engine break with no clutch pedal ? I do feel down shift on down slope some time.

Bro, engine is more expensive than brake pedal and does 6 to 7 functions.

Not so much on control clutch engine break, but more on not overly pressing the accelerator when u know there is a stop or Junction up ahead. This way u wont need overly jam the brakes, and waste fuel from over accelerating, brakes for sudden stop.

Would say engines are better designed to run n slow down by itself rather than forcefully stopping. This has been my driving style in my previous conti rides for several years as well. Dont see any engine deteoration. But brake parts do wear out VERY quick if there is too much forceful braking instead of tapping.

↡ Advertisement