Turning Elections Into An Auction Of "Goodies" ?

Picnic06-Biante15

OK.... who also promise "more good years ahead" and "Swiss Standard of Living" ........ [grin]

CNA: Don't turn elections into auction of "goodies" says Minister Khaw Boon Wan

SINGAPORE: National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan on Monday (June 2) warned against turning elections into an auction between political parties promising voters as much "goodies" as they can, with as low taxes as possible.

He made this point during a dialogue at the joint World Cities Summit, Singapore International Water Week and CleanEnviro Summit. The topic of financing rapid urbanisation came up. Mr Angel Gurria, the Secretary-General of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development had raised that a common way of financing urban growth is through taxes such as consumption tax, property taxes, or green taxes. Mr Khaw said it is natural for people to want more, but not want to pay higher taxes for it. He said political parties should not take advantage of this.

"In all honesty, we must acknowledge most of our people would always want more, but would never want to pay more in taxes, and it's incumbent upon our part to be honest with our voters, because if every election is a mere auction between political parties to give as much goodies as they can with as little taxes they need to pay, I think democracy of that manner must lead to insolvency and eventually, political cynicism."

Mr Khaw added there is no shortage of money to finance the development of infrastructure - the problem is a lack of sustainable good ideas which will benefit all sectors in a country. He said, as long as projects are bankable, there will be no shortage of funding. However, it is inevitable that governments may need to help finance some projects in order to help the poorer segments of the population.

Mr Khaw also shared with delegates some lessons that Singapore has learnt. One is the importance of keeping the economy open. He stressed that protectionism has no place in Singapore. This is because in the case of Singapore, its domestic market is too small.

Still, some observers say being small may have its advantages.

Said CEO of Suez Environment Company, Mr Jean-Louis Chaussade: “Small cities are much easier to manage than very big cities where the problems are really complex due to the size. It's less in terms of technology; it's easier in terms of human resources, and human cooperation."

However, Singapore faces additional challenges because it is a city-state.

"Because the state consists of only one city, if the city fails, the country fails. So, for example, Detroit may be bankrupt but there are many other American cities can continue to prosper and America remains a major global power," explained Mr Khaw.

Mr Khaw added that as a small city state without a natural hinterland, Singapore will feel the impact of globalisation more acutely.

- CNA/xk

link: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/don-t-turn-elections-into/1133560.html

hmmmm........... no shortage of money to finance the development of infrastructure.

But WHY keep extending CPF minimum sum and retirement age ? [confused]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Supercharged

although I agree with the logic behind his saying, I can't help but think back pap dangle those estate upgrade carrot to win the voters' votes during GE. hypocrisy at its best.

it is not a problem to pay taxes. but doesn't feel good when we wonder whether the taxes goes to fund biggest (by few times compared against the country ranked second) cabinet pay packet in the world.

• Praise 19

(edited)

If my memory didn't fail me, I remembered vividly that a particular party on a sunny island in this part of the world used to wave the carrots during erections.

If you vote for me, you will get upgrading works in your estate. Goodies???

Somemore in a desperate attempt to retake a certain constituency under an opposition ward, a certain Minister promised to pump in $10m or $100 million of the "people's money" (my emphasis) to have the old estate upgraded. Goodies???

The people on this island in this part of the world got short term memory or the vehicle commander forgot to slap his driver???

Edited by Chickenfarm
  • Praise 18

Hypersonic

I see "The Pot calling the Kettle back"...

So, we should expect no goodies from them.

Do we fancy them in the first place?

Who said no LUP if you don't cast for them?

Now, paint a different story... who is flipping now?

• Praise 9

although I agree with the logic behind his saying, I can't help but think back pap dangle those estate upgrade carrot to win the voters' votes during GE. hypocrisy at its best.

it is not a problem to pay taxes. but doesn't feel good when we wonder whether the taxes goes to fund biggest (by few times compared against the country ranked second) cabinet pay packet in the world.

Yup... always remember Potong Pasir past few elections back against Mr Chiam See Tong.

Vote and you will get estate upgrading ... [crazy]

• Praise 5

Sorry, its 'policy shift' not flipping ... -_-

Turbocharged

More like they realise with 2006 result no use giving. Goodies cause vote won't change much.

In any case read the full context and see what is he trying to say and u will realise he is saying crisis coming soon.

• Praise 4

If my memory didn't fail me, I remembered vividly that a particular party on a sunny island in this part of the world used to wave the carrots during erections.

Somemore in a desperate attempt to retake a certain constituency under an opposition ward, a certain Minister promised to pump in $10m or $100 million of the "people's money" (my emphasis) to have the old estate upgraded. Goodies???

The people on this island in this part of the world got short term memory or the vehicle commander forgot to slap his driver???

Fortunately the residents in this ward got "bone air"...

I remembered a young parent being interviewed by the media saying, "What values are we inculcating to our children if we took the bait?"

[thumbsup]

Turbocharged

Doesn't work mah. So he speak from his own experience. Lol

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

sorry can't praise u now so can only give u a 👍

Doesn't work mah. So he speak from his own experience. Lol

Hahahah...I believe you and I are not from the camp that callously hoot the establishment.

But I have to say whenever there is Parliament sittings and I watched the streaming, the chilli pardi in my belly will burn with anger [flowerface]

If you recalled the Parliamentary sittings in the past, you'll noticed that the often lone sitting opposition MP will be hoot by the majority either by jeering from the background or in the worst case scenario, a defamation suit.

But now that there are more oppositions in Parliament and it becomes more and more difficult to keep them quiet, the majority came forth with a BIG word..."Constructive Parliament" or whatever crap they sugar coat it [shakehead]

Just like Flooding = Ponding, and Warning = Counselling, etc, I think "Constructive Whatever" means "Shut the fark up and stop criticising"

[flowerface]

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

I see :D

They can say anything anytime, changing and naming a new term, though it meant the same.

Must tell my kids to study dictionary, memorizing all the similar and yet not so sama sama words :D

(edited)

KBW is telling the WCS not to do what his team did in the past, by giving/dangling Goodies, bcz all these didn't work and backfired till they lost a GRC, 2 BEs.

Edited by Tigerwoods
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

Hahahah...I believe you and I are not from the camp that callously hoot the establishment.

But I have to say whenever there is Parliament sittings and I watched the streaming, the chilli pardi in my belly will burn with anger [flowerface]

same here. it is not that we are biased but sometimes we see the nonsense dished out by some of the ruling party mp, it makes our blood boil. we are not die-hard supporter of any party, we just support the one that is factually correct.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Haha try not to watch too much parliament. They busy fixing the opposition now. Lol.

On serious note. I think it will take a few more years before our parliament learn to operate with multi-party. At least ours haven't resort to punching in the parliament.

• Praise 1

KBW is telling the WCS not to do what his team did in the past, by giving/dangling Goodies, bcz all these didn't work and backfired till they lost a GRC, 2 BEs.

I promise you 5 goodies after I dispense other goodies to another 8 constituencies [grouphug]

↡ Advertisement