Game of Thrones

Tjkbeluga

Usually, I like the book version of something much better than the movie/TV adaptations.

But the way GRRM is going with ASOIAF, I think I prefer GOT.

The TV show completely cuts out massive diversions that don't add much to the overall plot.

GRRM went on and on about Quentyn Martell being sent with his merry men to woo Daenerys into an alliance with Sunspear. That whole convoluted plot ended up with him being burnt into an extra-crispy corpse.

GRRM went on and on about Brienne fighting people all over the place while trying to locate Lady Sansa. The whole thing diverged significantly in the books with Sansa pretending to be a commoner in the Eyrie, but if it's going to converge to the nightmare that awaits her at Winterfell with Ramsay, then what good is all that?

GRRM went on and on about Thoros being able to resurrect people (well, Beric Dondarrion, at least). I admit it's weak in the TV show with Melisandre doing it to Snow's corpse, but still - it's quick.

GRRM went on and on with Tyrion and Penny's adventures with pigs - thank the old gods and the new that the TV show cut that right out.

GRRM didn't have Euron directly killing Balon - at best, it was insinuated that he may have got an assassin to do the deed. The TV show cuts right to it.

GRRM didn't even spell out that Theon had his nice bits cut off. The TV show cuts right to it, if you'll excuse the pun.

So many other time-wasting things - I don't even know where the reanimated corpse of Catelyn Tully (Lady Stoneheart) fits into the grand scheme of things with GRRM, but if the show is anything to go by, it's going to go nowhere, so that's another waste.

That's the worst part - with the story moving so quickly ahead in the show, you actually get a sneak peek of how the books will move ahead. It's actually quite disheartening to know that all the time and effort and emotion you've invested into various plot arcs will come to naught. GRRM frequently wastes time like this - he's like Tolkien on steroids. At least Tolkien's major sin in LOTR was limited to Tom Bombadil/Goldberry.

I didn't read the GoT novels but I did attempt to finish the Wheel of Time series so I know how you feel.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Usually, I like the book version of something much better than the movie/TV adaptations.

But the way GRRM is going with ASOIAF, I think I prefer GOT.

The TV show completely cuts out massive diversions that don't add much to the overall plot.

GRRM went on and on about Quentyn Martell being sent with his merry men to woo Daenerys into an alliance with Sunspear. That whole convoluted plot ended up with him being burnt into an extra-crispy corpse.

GRRM went on and on about Brienne fighting people all over the place while trying to locate Lady Sansa. The whole thing diverged significantly in the books with Sansa pretending to be a commoner in the Eyrie, but if it's going to converge to the nightmare that awaits her at Winterfell with Ramsay, then what good is all that?

GRRM went on and on about Thoros being able to resurrect people (well, Beric Dondarrion, at least). I admit it's weak in the TV show with Melisandre doing it to Snow's corpse, but still - it's quick.

GRRM went on and on with Tyrion and Penny's adventures with pigs - thank the old gods and the new that the TV show cut that right out.

GRRM didn't have Euron directly killing Balon - at best, it was insinuated that he may have got an assassin to do the deed. The TV show cuts right to it.

GRRM didn't even spell out that Theon had his nice bits cut off. The TV show cuts right to it, if you'll excuse the pun.

So many other time-wasting things - I don't even know where the reanimated corpse of Catelyn Tully (Lady Stoneheart) fits into the grand scheme of things with GRRM, but if the show is anything to go by, it's going to go nowhere, so that's another waste.

That's the worst part - with the story moving so quickly ahead in the show, you actually get a sneak peek of how the books will move ahead. It's actually quite disheartening to know that all the time and effort and emotion you've invested into various plot arcs will come to naught. GRRM frequently wastes time like this - he's like Tolkien on steroids. At least Tolkien's major sin in LOTR was limited to Tom Bombadil/Goldberry.

LOL... thanks for the forewarning..

Supersonic

Episode 2 last scene is kinda unexpected... :D

Unexpected meh? I hope it is sarcasm because it is one of the most expected scenes in the book/show. Even if the actor himself has been claiming that JS is dead.

I tink almost all the episodes the ending is unexpected.

Yes. About as unexpected as R+L=J.....

Supersonic
(edited)

Haha, that code is unknown to all but those initiated into the innermost cabal of fandom. [laugh]

Edited by Turboflat4

Turbocharged

Unexpected meh? I hope it is sarcasm because it is one of the most expected scenes in the book/show. Even if the actor himself has been claiming that JS is dead.

Don't think there's any doubt about R+L=J.... and it looks like it'll be revealed with Bloodraven showing Bran rather than the show introducing Howland Reed as a new character.

I think there was talk about the early season trailer showing the fight scene at ToJ. I think this will come towards the end of the season.

About Jon coming back... book readers pretty much expected it more than those who only watched the show...

My own expectation was that Jon would warg'd into Ghost.... that's how he falls in the book isn't it... he calls for Ghost and then everything goes cold for him.... doesn't feel anything afterwards. But it's probably a pain to show a point of view from a direwolf in the show before he's eventually reincarnated.

The show runners must have decided to cut more of the fat like T4 pointed out. 

Okay, no unexpected ending for ep3. [:p]

JS is back as a human being and himself, not as a white walker or possessed his pet wolf. This one not I speculate one, it's more of online speculation.

I also expected him to turn into a white walker and storm castle black with other white walkers to take revenge. Haha....

Turbocharged

Bran's vision of Tower of Joy ---> R+L=J?

For sure... what other reason is there for two member of the Kingsguard - and that too one is Arthur fcking Dayne - to stay by a forlorn tower without any royalty around... when their King and Prince are dead or dying elsewhere.

Damn Bloodraven pulled Bran off when we see young Eddard walking towards the woman screaming

• Praise 2

(edited)

Finally an ending that's not gross, spooky or depressing in episode 4.  The tantalizing scene was definitely worth a rewind.

First of Her Name. Queen of the Andals and the First Men. Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, Mother of Dragons, The Unburnt.. erm erm... did I miss anything?

The moon of my life. Welcome back Khaleesi.

Edited by Jellandross

Turbocharged

Finally an ending that's not gross, spooky or depressing in episode 4.  The tantalizing scene was definitely worth a rewind.

First of Her Name. Queen of the Andals and the First Men. Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, Mother of Dragons, The Unburnt.. erm erm... did I miss anything?

oh you missed one [laugh] here's Conan talking about it  [:p]

the Again Unburnt?

becoz they bottom hair too wet?....top hair no answer yet...

Why the bush and hair never get burned? [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Why the bush and hair never get burned? [laugh]

I'm sure in the books, her hair burns away...

Probably another creative license taken by the show-runners to make things look good on TV.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Hold the door!

Heart-wrenching ending. I hate you GoT.

↡ Advertisement