D-Day beaches 1944 vs 2014

Philipkee

Turbocharged

Very nice. Even the cobblestone streets are preserved looking exactly like in the historical photo. Luckily these european govts and population are not too crazy about 'renewal' and 'redevelopment'.

Especially the famous "bridge too far", at Arnhem. A sobering thought that just over 70 years ago, people were trying their best to kill each other where today we can just walk to and fro freely.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Those buildings must have a lot of ''gui''........si lang piling up on the streets and in the rooms......scary......they really do their best to preserve the building as a heritage of the country.....unlike our land....si lang cannot occupy land for too long....die liao will still be ''drilled'' out from the graveyard....look at Bukit Brown...sigh...

Edited by LoverofCar

Those buildings must have a lot of ''gui''........si lang piling up on the streets and in the rooms......scary......they really do their best to preserve the building as a heritage of the country.....unlike our land....si lang cannot occupy land for too long....die liao will still be ''drilled'' out from the graveyard....look at Bukit Brown...sigh...

A lot of pre-war colonial barracks at the current Changi Airbase West were also demolished instead of being preserved.

Those buildings were not in the way of any developments and looking over Google Earth, it's just left as empty land.

Only 2 colonial buildings were left standing at the base, one at Temple Hill, and the other housing the Changi Murals (which was out of reach to the public)

Across the road, some of the buildings opposite the commando camp along the hill up Changi Hospital were leased to private entities and again not fully opened to public.

Turbocharged

utah-wall.jpg

utah-wall-2013.jpg

Excellent shots.

Human as a species should understand that a war is nothing but meaningless.

The same goes to the working environment. I don't understand why people have to 'stab' each other in order to climb the corporate ladder.

How much is enough?

• Praise 1

I had the opportunity to visit Ohama beach several years ago.... I could imagine how the poor soldiers must have felt like sitting ducks in the open with a cliff dominating the entire beach. There is no cover from fire.

Winston Churchill's "instant" pier and breakwater are still there.

post-128138-0-57574900-1401905573_thumb.jpgpost-128138-0-53157500-1401905564_thumb.jpgpost-128138-0-93542300-1401905585_thumb.jpg

Turbocharged

But being sitting duck on the beach seems still better than those unfortunate ones in the landing crafts that get blown out of the water, or those that get shot or drowned the moment the ramp comes down. I wonder how they decide who goes right in front, just behind the ramp!

Yup, in those days they really had the stomach for high casualties. The nazis were already on the defensive at that time, but the western allies had to gamble on this attack to end the war quickly. If they'd waited, there was the possibility that the soviet union would defeat the nazis from the east, and then become the dominant power in europe.

Turbocharged

So nice and iconic, Sg everything scrubbed clean and sterile. All that remains of the very short history that we have also wanna wipe out, yet high end shopping also lackluster. A pity some countries that are non chinese have more authentic chinatown than sg predominantly chinese place.

Turbocharged
(edited)

....... I wonder how they decide who goes right in front, just behind the ramp!...

The omaha beach coastal assault is met with alot of cockup. First the planes are suppose to bombard the MG pillboxes and gun enplacements, but due to weather and fear of fradicide they bombed off target and missed many pillboxes.

The Allies are supposed to land at a clear beach many klicks away from the MG pillboxes, but strong wind and bad weather, their point boat "holland" and landed at the most heavy fortified areas of the beach. I bet many troop don't even know they will get cut down once the ramp opens.

Also, the german defense were good and they setup artifical baricades to prevent the landing boat from landing on the beach itself. Hence, many soldier have to jump into the water in the chao and some got drown (also shown in saving private ryan movie) The troop have to swim and run 300m up the beach dodging bullets. Can you image how lucky those survivors are. Some platoon were wipe out even before any of them made beach....

If the weather is good that day, I believe allied casualties will be reduced...

Edited by Pocus

A pity some countries that are non chinese have more authentic chinatown than sg predominantly chinese place.

thats exactly the aim..to diminish the chinese culture/language in Sinkapor