14-vehicle pile-up on PIE, 7 Jun 2014

Kb27

Supersonic

Anyone got caught ?

http://news.asiaone.com/news/ride/4-adults-and-toddler-hospital-after-14-vehicle-pile-pie

The crash caused a three-hour jam and tailbacks up to 8km long on the highway, with much of the traffic coming to a standstill.

SCDF told AsiaOne that they received a call at about 2.30pm on Saturday about the collision.

Three ambulances were sent to the scene. SCDF said there were 5 casualties involed in the accident.

Two females, both aged 50, and two males, aged 36 and 61, were sent to Changi General Hospital, while the two-year-old girl was sent to KK Women's and Children's Hospital.

That's a lot of cars.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

workshops are laughing to the banks ...

claim gao gao

repair + replacement car + inflated price = no $8k-$10k no talk

Edited by Wt_know

(edited)

At 80-100 kmh on Lane 1, drivers here do NOT give sufficient braking distance from the car in front.

Most of the time, on expressways during peak hours, you will observe cars 'tailgating' each other.

All it needs is for a car, any car, to suddenly decelerate to a stop. Then BANG!

A chain collision will occur!

A case of the kiasu 'Asian' mentality - of not liking another car to cut into the space in front of one's car, between that of the car in front? 😕

Edited by Astrid
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Lane 1 as usual. With the typical one-car-length-or-less distance between cars on lane 1, regular brakes are inadequate to handle emergency braking at high cruising speed, even if within speed limit. I don't think many drivers actually realize how inadequate their brakes are vs their typical following distance.

To be fair, I too didn't appreciate the inadequacy of regular brakes during e-braking until I was on more powerful brakes (fortunately) and had a few close encounters. Then I realized the criticality of an adequate safety distance with respect to the performance level of the brakes. Now, I shiver to see that more than half the cars on the road will not stop in time during an emergency brake, with the kind of safety distance they're keeping, especially on lane 1.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 1

I got caught in the jam but on the opposite side of PIE just because some kaypohs slowed down to peek through those green blockers. Knn...

• Praise 1

As usual.... Tailgate!

I am sure this accident happened on the fastest lane which is lane 1.... Yes, lane 1 may be good for overtaking and cruising but I always try to stay away from lane 1 as you will never know you may be the next victim of chain collision.

And just in case some kayu drivers don't know abr this , lane 1 is not the lane for cruising and lane hogging!

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

Hope no one seriously injured.

Hope it's not an excuse of increasing our insurance :(

Just received the renewal insurance.

No accident at all for past years, still 50% NCD, and damned it, insurance increases :((

Supersonic

Lane 1 as usual. With the typical one-car-length-or-less distance between cars on lane 1, regular brakes are inadequate to handle emergency braking at high cruising speed, even if within speed limit. I don't think many drivers actually realize how inadequate their brakes are vs their typical following distance.

To be fair, I too didn't appreciate the inadequacy of regular brakes during e-braking until I was on more powerful brakes (fortunately) and had a few close encounters. Then I realized the criticality of an adequate safety distance with respect to the performance level of the brakes. Now, I shiver to see that more than half the cars on the road will not stop in time during an emergency brake, with the kind of safety distance they're keeping, especially on lane 1.

Powerful brake is fine, but remember the guy behind may not have one.

Still need to keep distance.

• Praise 1

Under typical SG conditions and speed, it's not your brakes that saved you, it's your tyres.

The difference between the best and worst tyres can be 15m in the wet & 6m in the dry. Even among UHP tyres, the difference can be in terms of feet (just look through properly conducted tyre tests).

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/car-tyres/best-and-worst-car-tyres/

Now at high speed or on the track (repeated braking), that's another matter.

• Praise 6

Under typical SG conditions and speed, it's not your brakes that saved you, it's your tyres.

The difference between the best and worst tyres can be 15m in the wet & 6m in the dry. Even among UHP tyres, the difference can be in terms of feet (just look through properly conducted tyre tests).

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/car-tyres/best-and-worst-car-tyres/

Now at high speed or on the track (repeated braking), that's another matter.

I think tyres alone cannot save you, you need all these:

1) be alert and apply the brake asap

2) keep a save distance

3) effective tyres

4) effective brakes

• Praise 2

Twincharged

I think tyres alone cannot save you, you need all these:

1) be alert and apply the brake asap

2) keep a save distance

3) effective tyres

4) effective brakes

But for most I think just upgrading the tires will make a huge difference in the braking performance already. The other brake upgrades improve braking performance but just by a small margin for daily driving.

Supercharged

Maybe first car is part of accident claim scam. Brake heavily and wait for the $ to roll in.

• Praise 2

4th Gear

I always prioritise grip and braking distance over noise and comfort. I believe that the difference in braking distance might same day save me from a lot of pain, physically or mentally.

Yeah I was looking for this article: http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/article.php?AID=10415

It seems to have happened at around the same area, towards changi airport Eunos flyover

Coincidence?

Maybe first car is part of accident claim scam. Brake heavily and wait for the $ to roll in.

↡ Advertisement