Singapore's worst driving habit: Drivers who don't signal

Darthrevan

3 lanes on the opposite side should be enough even for Volvos... and trucks! (maybe except the V70R - 13.5m turning circle, worse than a truck)

If indeed the other side has 3 lanes, yet they "eat" into the left lane, they deserve to be called kuku. I see it often along Upper Bukit Timah road at the U-turn near South Haven. Small cars thinking they are semi-trailers!

in case u wonder, a 14 footer truck turning radius is shorter than my ride. long wheel base does not necessary to equate to very large turning radius, although it does required bigger turning radius then the same model with shorter wheel base.

been on the road for many years, i share different views from many here. I rarely sees vehicles encroached into the left lane while making a right turn or u-turn into a 3 lanes opposite direction. few black sheeps does not represent majority of road user that for sure.

nevertheless, many does keep to the extreme left of their turning lane, not "eating" into the next lane, however, many "other" road user do not tolerate when fellow road user being too close to them, even though there is a good few feet away from their side mirror. staying in their lane, noting wrong as far as im concern. try driving in jarkatar, bangkok, or even KL, or if u would like, try paris, i bet many here will cursed every millisecond. thats my observation.

↡ Advertisement

Most people only signal after they start turning.

Once I see them turning no need for them to signal

as we already know they are turning.

People need to signal their intentions earlier.

I think its the driving instructors that cause the problem

as they don't know to teach the right thing.

:D

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Same here, I let them overtake me, but I don't high-beam them. Just drive behind them.

If in situations I can't let them overtake me, I would dip my rear-view mirror instead.

I recycle old CDs and paste them on my rear windscreen to reflect / return highbeams from car behind to the driver's eyes!! [grin][thumbsup]

Supercharged

I recycle old CDs and paste them on my rear windscreen to reflect / return highbeams from car behind to the driver's eyes!! [grin][thumbsup]

Like that you are also blocking your own rear view (thru the rear windscreen)....... where got effective war.... :huh:

Turbocharged

Like that you are also blocking your own rear view (thru the rear windscreen)....... where got effective war.... :huh:

The rear windscreen quite big, 1 - 2 used CDs are enough to return the highbeam but not blocking my rear view mah!!!

ah bo paste used CDs next to my number plate, it will return highbeams plus flashlight of speedcam!! one stone kills two birds. [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

These are the two habits that cause me to cringe the most.

1. I have always found that drivers who do not signal their intentions do not realize that while they may know which direction they intended to go, they do not understand that sometimes it is good to let others know of their intentions. An excellent example is, when you are at a non-traffic controlled junction, and you are waiting to join the mainstream. If the approaching vehicle had signalled, and you are cleared to move out, you can proceed. Many a times, I have waited, and just when the opening is available, I waited for the approaching vehicle to pass me since he had no signal on, but at the last moment, he turns, and I have missed my opportunity to join the mainstream because other vehicles behind are approaching and thus I needed to ascertain their intentions again.
  2. Another habit that I find very inconsiderate is when I find available parking and have to avoid it because the vehicle beside, had parked so near the border. I would not be able to get out from my vehicle. These drivers of such vehicles have no consideration for others. 
  • Praise 3

I drove 6-7 year in Malaysia KL before coming to Singapore. What I notice is that Singapore driver mostly DO NOT give way to you. even you signal early before and the car behind reasonable distance away. anything force them release the acc. pedal, or slow down will make them frustrate and honk you along the way. They just don't let you filter in, no matter what reason. Even in a traffic jam condition (Not immigration custom), they won't let you filter into the front, even with Turn Signal, with no reason.  [knife] 

For my stance, people need to change lane with a reasons, you won't know. Give way to others go is a good habit to avoid accident. for instance, when Car A see Car B signal want to change lane. Car A (typical scenario) will not give way and try to stick next to the car B. Car B either drive faster than Car A to change lane, or slower than Car A to change. If Car A keep sticking close to Car B, this make car B have no time to change lane. anything beyond that will lead to an accident

What Car A can do is slow down let Car B in. Or drive faster let Car B to have more time change the lane.  [drivingcar]

While some good thing for driver in Singapore is that they drive more "organize", mostly within speed limit. KL more chaos, if I am not racing mode, i will not drive on fast lane as many will tailgate you. 

• Praise 1

I think it was mentioned before by one of the guys here - when you turn on your signal, it automatically and magically causes the vehicle behind to speed up, not allowing you to make the lane change.

• Praise 1

No leh, it rarely happen to me.

Usually if i need to filter, I do it earlier.

If really last 300m, I will ensure I choose the right gap to filter in.

• Praise 2

I think it was mentioned before by one of the guys here - when you turn on your signal, it automatically and magically causes the vehicle behind to speed up, not allowing you to make the lane change.

It's true, but you can always filter behind that car.

I also sometimes turn on signal to make people speed up because they like to be in my blind spot.

• Praise 3

Usually if in heavy traffic situation, some cars filter out, leaving a large gap to the car behind, most drivers will accelerate to cover the gap so they don't want to hold back traffic.

Then if other driver from another lane wanted to filter in, could mistaken the driver covering the gap trying to cut him or her off.

Why do we have to speculate since we won't know what is in the mind of other drivers?

I used to think these drivers were trying to cut me off, now using this alternative perspective.

I realised there are less jerks on the road.

I ALWAYS signal.

super CB drivers that suddenly stop their vehicles without turning on their hazard light,

And when u decides to overtake them, they will suddenly move their vehicle forward, then when u decided to keep behind, they will stop to block u again, *repeat again the whole process. 

now u know why its super CB  :XD:  

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I must admit I hardly signal unless i have difficulties fiktering in a congested road.

In our city driving, you filter here and there and every few km, you turn. before even you signal, chances are you turn again. maybe it is my excuse but when oversea or even in JB, I signal more. 

• Dislike 3

I must admit I hardly signal unless i have difficulties fiktering in a congested road.

In our city driving, you filter here and there and every few km, you turn. before even you signal, chances are you turn again. maybe it is my excuse but when oversea or even in JB, I signal more.

Orhhhh you kena dislike

But not me ah :grin:

• Praise 1

what do you think of nowadays the signal pattern, where the led strip illuminates from inside to outside (am I describing it correctly?) instead of plain flashing? Basically the type I see on a lot of new Audis.

Seems like it takes a split second longer to fully illuminate compared to a normal flash, therefore it might take another driver a split second longer to fully register that the signal is on and to react accordingly. Think this could be a bit more dangerous for those who like to filter and on signal at the same time.

↡ Advertisement