Michelin starred restaurants

L_club23

Why we all suddenly talk about chinese restaurants with michelin stars? How about ang moh dishes?

I prefer Chinese food :D

Anyway, some of these are just overrated.

Still prefer the zhi char at food market :))

↡ Advertisement

I prefer Chinese food :D

Anyway, some of these are just overrated.

Still prefer the zhi char at food market :))

Nice zhi char i had is at fernvale sengkang opposite esso station then clementi beside esso station

Visit once and I will not go back. Super lousy service.

Haha but very hard to find nice dim sum in sg with good price

Turbocharged

Why we all suddenly talk about chinese restaurants with michelin stars? How about ang moh dishes?

Db Bistro @ MBS - technically not a Michelin starred restaurant but the owner Daniel Boulud has one in Manhattan. The food is nothing fantastic.

Actually Ding Tai Feng also have michelin star.

Why can't we have michellin stars for our local coffee shop food also?

That's my favorite :D

Think stars are base on overall food experience.

Actually Ding Tai Feng also have michelin star.

Think stars are base on overall food experience.

Yes but thats in usa outlets

Moreover din tai fung is taiwanese based

(edited)

Have eaten at many Michelin star restaurants around the world , and the truth is many are over rated

For me , the important thing is the food. But to get 3 stars, you need to have food, service, ambience and whatever else the reviewers think is important.

Ate at a few starred restaurants in Japan and it was disappointing for the hype and price. The neighborhood food shops were just as good or even better.

I remember in Ginza I tried a 3 star sushi, after finishing that I was so disappointed I went a short distance away to a 1 star (now no star) sushi which was so much better

Hong Kong Ritz Carlton Dim Sum was Michelin starred but food was not better than our Singapore Dim Sum restaurants.

But if you have to go and try , I realize that the trick is actually to choose the 1 star restaurants rather than the 3 star ones.

These 1 star ones usually get it because of the food. They don't have the fancy ass settings so don't get the 3 stars but it means the prices are also not too crazy.

And the 1 star ones treat you better , while the 3 star places consider giving you a reservation as a favour

Edited by Aventador
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Have eaten at many Michelin star restaurants around the world , and the truth is many are over rated

For me , the important thing is the food. But to get 3 stars, you need to have food, service, ambience and whatever else the reviewers think is important.

Ate at a few starred restaurants in Japan and it was disappointing for the hype and price. The neighborhood food shops were just as good or even better.

I remember in Ginza I tried a 3 star sushi, after finishing that I was so disappointed I went a short distance away to a 1 star (now no star) sushi which was so much better

Hong Kong Ritz Carlton Dim Sum was Michelin starred but food was not better than our Singapore Dim Sum restaurants.

But if you have to go and try , I realize that the trick is actually to choose the 1 star restaurants rather than the 3 star ones.

These 1 star ones usually get it because of the food. They don't have the fancy ass settings so don't get the 3 stars but it means the prices are also not too crazy.

And the 1 star ones treat you better , while the 3 star places consider giving you a reservation as a favour

the 3 star Sushi restaurant is Sukiyabashi Jiro? is it really that disappointing?

they even have a documentary for it, and you need to book as early as 1 or 3 months in advance to secure a seat! and prices are not cheap, starting from USD$300 if i recall correctly !!!

i've got to say the other time i went tsukiji market, sushi dai(no michelin star) to have sushi. the sushi were already out of the world in as compared to local joints. but i don't splurge on local high end sushi joint though to have a good comparison.

Edited by Kifakw

Turbocharged

the 3 star Sushi restaurant is Sukiyabashi Jiro? is it really that disappointing?

they even have a documentary for it, and you need to book as early as 1 or 3 months in advance to secure a seat! and prices are not cheap, starting from USD$300 if i recall correctly !!!

i've got to say the other time i went tsukiji market, sushi dai(no michelin star) to have sushi. the sushi were already out of the world in as compared to local joints. but i don't splurge on local high end sushi joint though to have a good comparison.

My Japanese friend brought me to one sushi restaurant near Tokyo JR station. It was great and he told me locals prefer this and other joints compared to Jiro and Mizutani.

Did you try Quintesscence in Tokyo? Never get the chance to reserve a table

Hypersonic

Overrated. Why you need ang moh to tell you good or not ? Taste is very subjective and varies greatly between cultures.

I went to the tim ho wan at olympic city. Don't find the dim sum good. Only the char siew bao was above average. Not worth the queue.
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Why can't we have michellin stars for our local coffee shop food also?

That's my favorite :D

What does any Mo knows about hawker food. For local food , Leslie's, of ieatishoot, endorsement carries more weight than any of these any moh rating.

Did you try Quintesscence in Tokyo? Never get the chance to reserve a table

Nope, I usually go for the local cuisine

That being said, tried Joel Robuchon in Tokyo and it was under whelming

All the 3 stars were disappointing. They basically speed feed you sushi and you will finish in about 35 mins. And pay a few hundred dollars for it.

You cannot compare sushi dai type places with the top sushi restaurants in Tokyo

Why Singaporeans think Tsukiji market sushi is so good is because

1) it is much better and fresher than places like sushi tei , sakae in Singapore which is their usual reference

2) got Japanese going hai hai hai, so taste better

3) after you queue up to 2 hours, have to say nice!

Do note, even if you ask the locals where is good sushi, most of them will not know because the Michelin star places are priced out of most of their reach.

The really good sushi places in Tokyo are much better than Tsukiji joints because they get the premium cuts of the fish as they willing to pay more (cause they charge more)

Once you try one of the really good sushi places in singapore, eating sushi in singapore will forever be a disappointment for you.

• Praise 1

Lol i think the steak at Skirt should deserve a 1 star. Haha.

All the 3 stars were disappointing. They basically speed feed you sushi and you will finish in about 35 mins. And pay a few hundred dollars for it.

You cannot compare sushi dai type places with the top sushi restaurants in Tokyo

Why Singaporeans think Tsukiji market sushi is so good is because

1) it is much better and fresher than places like sushi tei , sakae in Singapore which is their usual reference

2) got Japanese going hai hai hai, so taste better

3) after you queue up to 2 hours, have to say nice!

Do note, even if you ask the locals where is good sushi, most of them will not know because the Michelin star places are priced out of most of their reach.

The really good sushi places in Tokyo are much better than Tsukiji joints because they get the premium cuts of the fish as they willing to pay more (cause they charge more)

Once you try one of the really good sushi places in singapore, eating sushi in singapore will forever be a disappointment for you.

Well in SG, can always eat salmon sashimi and salmon based sushi. Haha cos there don't have.

Fresh is important. I never knew what the fuss was about sea urchin until i ate it at a local shop at tsukiji. Thanks to the PRC server who told me what was good! [thumbsup]

Db Bistro @ MBS - technically not a Michelin starred restaurant but the owner Daniel Boulud has one in Manhattan. The food is nothing fantastic.

that is one of the reason why I prefer restaurant that are owner chef . they take ownership as well as passion in cooking .

I was in DB last month too and find the food very very average too ,They used to be better when they first open but the executive chef left if I am not wrong .

↡ Advertisement