Malaysia: Driving up to Mersing 15/6/14

Hotnyh

Am going to be driving up there on Sunday morning. Ferry to island 11am.

Any bros coincidentally planning a trip to Mersing too?

Or has anyone driven up recently?

Not done this before. How is the road condition. Am supposed to be able to park next to the jetty in a gated CP run by Rawa resort.

Would appreciate any helpful info. Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Am going to be driving up there on Sunday morning. Ferry to island 11am. Any bros coincidentally planning a trip to Mersing too? Or has anyone driven up recently? Not done this before. How is the road condition. Am supposed to be able to park next to the jetty in a gated CP run by Rawa resort. Would appreciate any helpful info. Thanks.

Ferry at 11am u better leave Singapore at 6 to 7am with a stop for breakfast. Comfortable travelling time will be 2 hrs from causeway. Road condition will be good till after Kota ting which will be one lane traffic both directions.

Parking wise I would always park after the jetty n big building food court. The car park is right after the clock tower on your left. At times the booth have no people, just open the window and u can see a button on the left. press and the gate will open. Get in and park beside the food court building. Its safe there.

Supercharged

Had traveled this road before in Jun 2013. Road condition is good all the way to Mersing. But watch out for sharp bends in some areas, especially after Kota Tinggi.

The road is the same, it's about 130km from jb to mersing.

1. Leave early

2. Have fun

3. Remember that the size of the arrows on the road signs denote how sharp the upcoming bends will be, so pay attention.

4. Watch out for faster moving cars and bikes coming up/overtaking from behind, especially the bikes. Always double-check before overtaking, don't just look ahead for oncoming traffic.

5. Around the WW2 "bunkers" by the roadside, watch out for monkeys.

6. Back off abit when approaching the small bridges because some of them make nice launchpads. Also watch for oncoming traffic because some of them are quite narrow.

Will do!

Maybe I'll be able to take some nice pix along the way. Going to run in my new Toyo Proxes T1 Sports... less than 400km on them so far...

Supercharged

The road is the same, it's about 130km from jb to mersing.

1. Leave early

2. Have fun

3. Remember that the size of the arrows on the road signs denote how sharp the upcoming bends will be, so pay attention.

4. Watch out for faster moving cars and bikes coming up/overtaking from behind, especially the bikes. Always double-check before overtaking, don't just look ahead for oncoming traffic.

5. Around the WW2 "bunkers" by the roadside, watch out for monkeys.

6. Back off abit when approaching the small bridges because some of them make nice launchpads. Also watch for oncoming traffic because some of them are quite narrow.

5. Got monkeys meh ??

Anyway those "bunkers" are quite unique. Not sure why someone put it there. I never seen such "bunkers" anywhere else in Malaysia.

6. Yes, those launchpads are :o !! It sends your car flying n when it lands it hits on the suspension really hard.... [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

Those bunkers are for the British forces who were expecting the Japanese to come down from the east coast of malaysia... A bit useless really since they could be flanked from the jungle.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

5. Got monkeys meh ??

Anyway those "bunkers" are quite unique. Not sure why someone put it there. I never seen such "bunkers" anywhere else in Malaysia.

6. Yes, those launchpads are :o !! It sends your car flying n when it lands it hits on the suspension really hard.... [sweatdrop]

5 Looking for new launch pad / hideout with your xmm?

Supercharged

5 Looking for new launch pad / hideout with your xmm?

No lah..... [laugh] [laugh]

After Kota tinggi, if I'm not wrong about 30min along the road @ your right hand side got bak kut teh coffee shop u can see many Singapore car stop down there to eat. The food was nice too...

Supercharged

After Kota tinggi, if I'm not wrong about 30min along the road @ your right hand side got bak kut teh coffee shop u can see many Singapore car stop down there to eat. The food was nice too...

Yes, Kiang Kee But Kut Teh. Look out for the big "100 Plus" signboard....

Actually I just got back. The worst part is the border crossing. The drive itself was fine.

The road was rough in some places and I was worried about my wheels after hitting a big pothole... but seems ok .

I kept it nice and easy at 90-105km/h. Saw a S'pore reg Altis uncle getting pulled over at a road block but I was waved through.

Some pics-

DSC02333.JPG

The great open road- Federal Road 3

DSC02339.JPG
The famous British bunkers guarding the Mersing road.

car.jpg

Had to stop for a better look...

(edited)

20140615_085822_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jp

Pee break here - 30 sen each...

20140615_100343_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jp

Easy parking at Rawa Resorts fenced up CP. Pricey but recommended by the hotel we stayed at. Price now RM$18 per night. Lots of S'pore reg cars big and small.

I left home (in Clementi) at 7am. cleared immigration at 7.35am (Sun morning) and arrived at Mersing just after 10am.

Edited by Hotnyh

Supercharged

The famous British bunkers guarding the Mersing road.

Had to stop for a better look...

Oh...you actually stop to take a closer look....

So what was in the bunker ? [:/]

Er... nothing... they have all been sealed up! I was expecting the inside to be a makeshift toilet to be frank!

(edited)

DSC02340.JPG

See? All the ports have been bricked up. Some of them look like they've been fired on but I'm not sure if it's battle damage or just the ravages of time and vandals.

Oh one interesting thing I noticed. Waze is a great nav app for M'sia as there seem to be lots if users there. Lots of warnings of jams and police sitings. The old 'flash' to cars coming in the opposite direction also was used.

Edited by Hotnyh
↡ Advertisement