New KIA Koup is out!

Fett

I've driven the car.

It's actually not bad la, but it's not 'sporty'. It feels more like a big cruiser coupe rather than a small sporty coupe. The rear seats quite spacious, so definitely can sit four. Wheelbase overall longer by 50mm than previous Koup, so I think yes, the doors are a bit longer than before for easy access.

In a sense it's aimed at young couples or small families who like coupe body but need a bit of practicality of sedan. Not so much for young punks who like to chiong anymore.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Agreed. Not as good looking as the previous Gen but the 200HP from a 1.6 seems impressive. Have had the first gen 2.0 for two years now.. Still a reliable and nice looking ride.

• Praise 1

I've driven the car.

It's actually not bad la, but it's not 'sporty'. It feels more like a big cruiser coupe rather than a small sporty coupe. The rear seats quite spacious, so definitely can sit four. Wheelbase overall longer by 50mm than previous Koup, so I think yes, the doors are a bit longer than before for easy access.

In a sense it's aimed at young couples or small families who like coupe body but need a bit of practicality of sedan. Not so much for young punks who like to chiong anymore.

Ya its not a small coupe. It's a practical coupe with the spaciousness of the normal Forte sedan - just that a bit inconvenient due to no back doors (another reason why I changed to VT). Previously I took 5 passengers before - 1 in front and 4 behind. The 4 behind are 2 adults (my parents) and my 2 nephews around 8 to 10 yrs old and no complain!

Reason for not as fast as the specs is probably because of the Automatic Transmission.

Unfortunately the manual model is not available for the Singapore market.

There is a review of the car in Saturday's Strait Times.

The reviewer seemed to implied that the car is not as fast as the spec states. Probably due to the weight of the car.

He also give subtle hints that the handling of the car is subpar conpared to other coupes and the car is not tuned in a sporty way. He mentioned that the car is too long and the wheelbase is too wide but commended on it's comfort level.

And ST, being a MSM, is usually very forgiving in reviews. So I cannot imagine the actual feel of the car and hope it's better.

I think it's a shame as the platform shows so much potential, esp for a potent 1.6 DI-TC that can churned out 200+bhp. If hope that the market do offer aftermarket modification for the car if they want it to go far.

I guess Kia still only want the Koup to be a "for show" car, with a more competent engine, instead of sports-biased cars tuned specifically for sports that the Japanese are expert for.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

The front reminds me of a fresh water cat fish from the amazon. Looks goulish.

Isnt the front same as the K3?
  • Praise 1

(edited)

I prefer the Europe market Kia Pro Cee'd GT...

It's the hatchback version and it looks a lot more sporty dan the Koup.

PMS_pro_ceed_gt_image20.jpg

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

I prefer the Europe market Kia Pro Cee'd GT...

It's the hatchback version and it looks a lot more sporty dan the Koup.

PMS_pro_ceed_gt_image20.jpg

Ya agree. The 4 LED "fog lights" look nice too! Hatchbacks tend to look nicer for sporty cars - Mz3 hatchback IMO also nicer than the sedan version. However, can't say the same for Audi A4 - sedan looks nicer than sportback.

• Praise 1

(edited)

The 2 door coupe style is more popular in the USA...while the hatch is more popular in Europe so Kia developed 2 body styles.
The coupe style always reminds me of the Honda Prelude which was replaced in the USA by the Civic

Honda-Civic_Coupe_2012_thumbnail_02.jpgand Accord Coupes.

The Koup reminds me of the Opel Calibra... very smooth styling.

220px-Opel_Calibra_rear_20071007.jpg

Not super sporty looking but stylish and would make a good fast touring car.

Edited by Hotnyh

went to the showroom today. checked out the Koup 2014. Inside is a little spartan to my taste. The main factor that deterred me from exploring further is just this: the door is too LONG. i will have problems opening doors in Singapore carparks.

Am now only considering K3 or K5

There is an ongoing promotion at KIA yesterday and today. Those considering KIA can check it out by today.

agreed!

have to let the rear passengers alight first before parking the car.

else almost impossible to get off with cars parking beside.  [dead]

Hi any owners of kia koup first gen can give advice? Think of getting a koup left with 2yrsplus. Is it a problematic car?

No it isn't... it's proven Korean tech... pretty reliable and bombproof...
↡ Advertisement