WW2 attractions to recommend for WW2 veteran

Sturtles

Hi guys, anyone knows if there are any good places to bring a WW2 vet?

I have a UK customer coming over and the last time he was here was in WW2.

Was thinking to bring him to the Battlebox (which was amazingly great, but is closed now)

1) Ford Factory - its a WW2 encyclopedia, but dull as its all reading materials

2) Reflections at Bukit Chandu - Has a nice starting movie, but its also boring reading materials for the rest of the exhibits

3) Fort Fort Siloso - Was there the last time during history lessons in Sec school... Not sure about the quality now

4) Changi Chapel - looks like a tiny place with a nice café - Not been there

Are there any other good places to introduce him?

I suppose this old gentleman can still walk, but slowly.

Do hope to find some gems among fellow forrrumers

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Was thinking to bring him to the Battlebox (which was amazingly great, but is closed now)

2) Reflections at Bukit Chandu - Has a nice starting movie, but its also boring reading materials for the rest of the exhibits

3) Fort Fort Siloso - Was there the last time during history lessons in Sec school... Not sure about the quality now

Your customer should be in his 80s now.

Not many places left with all the developments making way to erase history.

Changi Murals - original in Changi Airbase West, but is in restricted area. Replica in point 4 you mentioned.

Old Changi prison - demolished.

Changi Cove Hotel - The former Command House is renovated, can try visiting it.

Labrador Park

Gillman Barracks at Depot Road

• Praise 1

I have been to both the Old Ford Factory and the Changi Chapel.

In terms of exhibits on display, the latter has more on life at Changi Prison during the war. It has a more solemn atmosphere than the former.

If you visit the Ford Factory however, you may also attend a video screening on the war. I don't think it's available at the Chapel.

Kranji War Memorial yo.

They died for all free men.

well, that would be a nice END to the tour. That also happened AFTER...haha

TS is seeking places where his visitor was PRESENT at that time in 1942

Supercharged

ppl put aldy lah...u from that time too ah [grin]

eh aunty, if u free, next thurs join us for mini meet. a few clowns will be der

Ah Pek I went on a midnight tour to some of these places recently. Not my time but we must remembered that they gave their lives so that we may live.

Thanks for extending the invite

• Praise 1

Ah Pek I went on a midnight tour to some of these places recently. Not my time but we must remembered that they gave their lives so that we may live.

Thanks for extending the invite

totally agree! [thumbsup]

good wknd.

• civic-district-trail.render.image1.90.13Civic District Trail

Encounter the architectural legacy left by Raffles and uncover the history of Singapore in a day as you walk along the five-foot ways of the old...

• reflections-at-bukit-chandu.render.imageReflections at Bukit Chandu

Located in a handsome colonial bungalow, the exhibits within depict Japanese invasion plans alongside British strategic maps, photographs and...

• memories-at-ford-factory.render.image1.9Memories at Ford Factory

A former automotive assembly plant, this quaint art deco building was the site of the British surrender to the Japanese on 15 February 1942. Stop by...

• changi-museum.render.image1.90.134.pngChangi Museum

The Japanese interred the Allied prisoners of war at the now-demolished Changi Prison. Sign up for a Battlefield Tour to discover more about the fall...

• battle-box.render.image1.90.134.pngThe Underground Command Centre

A bomb-proof complex that is capable of recycling its own air supply, you’ll be surrounded by sounds of bombing as you explore the Battle Box’s 22...

• Singapore-City-Hall.render.image1.90.134Singapore City Hall

City Hall at St Andrew's Road was originally known as the Municipal Building when it was completed in 1929. It was renamed in 1951 and thereafter...

• YMCA-Singapore.render.image1.90.134.pngYMCA Singapore

The original YMCA building, which was demolished to make way for the current YMCA, was used as a headquarters for the Japanese Military Police, the...

• Lim-Bo-Seng-Memorial.render.image1.90.13Lim Bo Seng Memorial

Major-General Lim Bo Seng alias Tan Choon Lim was a prominent Hokkien businessman who undertook active leadership in anti-Japanese activities during...

• Indian-National-Army-Monument.render.imaIndian National Army Monument

Located within the Esplanade Park, the Indian National Army Monument was erected in 1995 in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the end of World...

• Cenotaph.render.image1.90.134.pngCenotaph

The Cenotaph located along Connaught Drive at the Esplanade, facing the old Courthouse, was unveiled on 31 March 1922 by his Royal Highness the...

• Alexandra-Hospital.render.image1.90.134.Alexandra Hospital

Alexandra Hospital was established in 1938 and served as a military hospital. In February 1942, around 200 staff and military casualties in the...

• civilian-war-memorial.render.image1.90.1Civilian War Memorial

Fondly referred to as “The Chopsticks”, the Civilian War Memorial stands tall in the Civic District, and makes for picture-perfect opportunities.

• st-andrews-cathedral.render.image1.90.13St Andrew's Cathedral

It’s no wonder why St Andrew’s Cathedral is one of Singapore’s most treasured works of architecture. Gazetted as a national monument on 1973, you’ll...

• labrador-nature-reserve.render.image1.90Labrador Nature Reserve

Explore the rocky cliff-side vegetation and enjoy the panoramic views of the sea at Labrador Nature Reserve. This park is an oasis of calm and a...

• Padang.render.image1.90.134.pngPadang

The Esplanade is a long open stretch of field, originally by the sea, located in the downtown core of the Central Region. Sitting on the left bank of...

• Changi-Beach.render.image1.90.134.pngChangi Beach

Changi is an estate that is located at the easternmost end of Singapore. The estate has interesting landmarks including Changi Village, Changi...

• fort-siloso.render.image1.90.134.pngFort Siloso

Stop by Fort Siloso and be transported to a different time. A relic from World War II (WWII), this is Singapore’s only preserved coastal fort.

• kranji-war-memorial.render.image1.90.134Kranji War Memorial

On your visit here at the Kranji War Memorial, you’ll see the war graves, the state cemetery, the memorial walls and the military graves.

• Praise 1

Is your visitor keen to meet the translator?

Who? LKY or Nathan?

Met an old ah ma once on a flight from Chicago to Heathrow, she worked in RAF in Singapore just after the war. Happy colonial days in Singapore, drinking and party all the time. Take him to Raffles Hotel to relive the colonial drinking and partying.

That's a good one. Would not have thought of that. Any idea if siloso is more upgraded now? The fort canning battlebox features moving figures with naration, so it was immersive. Too bad its closed

Lim Chu Kang/Kranji Beaches where the jipun landed - at least they still look almost the same as 60 years ago. Ford Factory is a must - it is the site of the biggest surrender in British history ever!

Supercharged

Lucky its not a Jap customer wanting to see WWII here....

i will interrogate him on the evils that they did upon us until he die from heart failure........... then i give call to Radx to collect body [dizzy]

↡ Advertisement