Fukushima! The ongoing disasters

Kklim

Question is what other alternative source is available currently?? Solar isn't that affordable at the moment.

Become our secret weapon. The moment neigbhour want to attack us?? They also think twice before shooting missle. If accidentally hit the plant they all affected.👅

Think. We will be able to harness solar effectively in near future. Heard the process is getting better although currently isn't cheap enough to use as the alternate option yet.

Yes i die you die everybody die haha

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

it's greed for cheap energy and irresponsible policy

after fukushima daichi plant incident

japan shutdown more about 50 nuclear reactors and yet they can survive for 3 years

before that all the policy maker said japan will perish without nuclear energy

Edited by Wt_know

(edited)

i beg to differ ... overseas i have seen street lamp is fully powered by solar energy

for spore imagine every single street lamp is self powered with solar energy that it collected during the day

just need a solar panel on top of the street lamp and a battery underneath

7am to 7pm collect solar energy

7pm to 7am power by collected energy during the day

even that day energy collected is not ideal or insufficient then can powered by electrical energy

all in all .... consumption could halve (at least)

all hdb roof top must have solar panel ... collect the energy to power the lamp for the block

even not enough ... consumption should be cut at least 30%?

these are the worthwhile investment instead of repainting the block, refresh playground, repave walkway that is still good to go for another 5 years

No. Singapore is hot but there's a lot of cloud cover. That's why solar technology is not used here.

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged

i beg to differ ... overseas i have seen street lamp is fully powered by solar energy

for spore imagine every single street lamp is self powered with solar energy that it collected during the day

even that day energy collected is not ideal or insufficient then can powered by electrical energy

all hdb roof top must have solar panel ... collect the energy to power the lamp for the block

these are the worthwhile investment instead of repainting the block, refresh playground, repave walkway that is still good to go for another 5 years

I think cost is the issue.. Haven reach sweet spot for production yet??

it's greed for cheap energy and irresponsible policy

after fukushima daichi plant incident

japan shutdown more about 50 nuclear reactors and yet they can survive for 3 years

before that all the policy maker said japan will perish without nuclear energy

Yeah won't perish lah. Just increasing the rate of bankrupting their country mah.

30 bil USD a year difference from 2012 to 2010.

http://eneken.ieej.or.jp/data/5252.pdf

We are also paying more btw for ONE COUNTRY not using Nuclear power.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304315004579382261761664926

I agree with that Singapore should be more aggressive on energy/resource conservation. However i don't think solar is really all that u all are hyping it out to be.

So good and cheap, the landed house retirees wont set up their own ar?

Save at least 100-200 per month in utilities who don't want

(edited)

it's expensive but i don't think is prohibitive

my cousin home at sydney got solar panel

investment is AUD$20k+ and useful life is 10 years (at least)

1 year = AUD$2000, 1 month = $166 >> that's about the electric bill for me

my cousin keep boasting to me that he don't have to pay electric bill every month or may be tiny bit

i think he got some sort of subsidy or rebate for installing solar panel ... i don't think he throw in $20k investment ... modding car may be ... LOL

Edited by Wt_know

(edited)

it's their culture ... all the big cities like tokyo, kyoto, osaka, nagoya ... even 2-tier and 3-tier cities their neon lights run deep into the night

city never sleep comes with a cost

even cutdown their neon lights and what have you by 30% ... the city still never sleep

the hunger for more energy come from the people ... all of us ... we don't need it but we want it

and all these marketing geniuses create the demand ....

Yeah won't perish lah. Just increasing the rate of bankrupting their country mah.

30 bil USD a year difference from 2012 to 2010.

http://eneken.ieej.or.jp/data/5252.pdf

post-7984-0-12801900-1402897083_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged

my cousin keep boasting to me that he don't have to pay electric bill every month or may be tiny bit

i think he got some sort of subsidy or rebate for installing solar panel ... i don't think he throw in $20k investment ... modding car may be ... LOL

Life span of 10 years but degrading % how much?? Maintening of panel is how much?? Have to wait for him to finish 10 years then know the cost.

I personally think all our HDB should have solar panel on top. Such a hot and sunny country... Should put to good use.

Anyway I think a report a year or two back was saying we are reaching break even point for solar energy.. Hopefully it will come faster rather then later.. Best of it hit efficient point.

Australia is what kind of climate. Lower humidity. Minimal cloud cover.

I read a ST article once about this person building his own green house. Few months back.

She said she thought about doing Solar panel but realised even over 20 years, there will never be significant cost savings or even make sense.

In the end she just concentrated on making the house cool. Lots of ventilation, brick walls etc. This was a woman who set out to build a green house.

Supersonic

Solar panel is very costly.

I think US is trying to hit China for subsidizing solar panels.

So it's not simple, plug and play.

Wind power generator is also costly to maintain.

Energy wastage is also a big issue.
How to conserve electrical supply. Make the grid able to supply electricity anticipating peaks and throughs in daily usage/demand but still not contributing to excess.

Water wastage via leaking pipes (think SG has relatively little of that) is actually the biggest waste of water in the world. These things we can improve.

Hopefully the hydrogen fuel cell car of the future is not a distant reality.

Yes we've grown fat on draining our planet's resources of oil/gas.

(edited)

in terms of renewable "natural" clean energy - sun, wind, water (dam)

what is the best looking at the constraint of spore island

another possibly now is to burn rubbish/waste since we generatetons of rubbish/waste every year?

isn't sembcorp waste management is "exploring" or "doing" this?

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged

I think cost is the issue.. Haven reach sweet spot for production yet??

Is it? So what is the production volume now? and what is the sweet spot volume?

i wonder will Hong Lim park has another topic on boycotting jap products, request for import testing for contamination by radiation. meantime we could use the forum to spread awareness.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Is it? So what is the production volume now? and what is the sweet spot volume?

How I know what is sweet spot to them?? Tech journal write one should be more accurate then we speculate one.

Its fantastic that so many people think we should try for more renewal enery.

Its really make financial sense and its great for the environment.

I also agree that no one source will solve all problems. Its not as if we switch to solar we can

stop importing oil.

We need a range of solutions working together. Small scale solar to power steet lights

as well as roof top solar to power a percentage of the lights at night. It will never be 100%

but every little bit helps. Even for wind energy we don't need those mega wind mills even

a small roof top unit will contribute to decrease the import of oil.

The one that has the most potential for us is wave energy. It can be deep in the sea so doesn't

affect ships and we are an island.

:D

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Its fantastic that so many people think we should try for more renewal enery.

Its really make financial sense and its great for the environment.

I also agree that no one source will solve all problems. Its not as if we switch to solar we can

stop importing oil.

We need a range of solutions working together. Small scale solar to power steet lights

as well as roof top solar to power a percentage of the lights at night. It will never be 100%

but every little bit helps. Even for wind energy we don't need those mega wind mills even

a small roof top unit will contribute to decrease the import of oil.

The one that has the most potential for us is wave energy. It can be deep in the sea so doesn't

affect ships and we are an island.

Okay with me as long as they don't take money from me.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Okay with me as long as they don't take money from me.

Haha! Its should be we are more efficient so we pay less and not more.

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement