Fukushima! The ongoing disasters

Kklim

(edited)

Life span of 10 years but degrading % how much?? Maintening of panel is how much?? Have to wait for him to finish 10 years then know the cost.

I personally think all our HDB should have solar panel on top. Such a hot and sunny country... Should put to good use.

Anyway I think a report a year or two back was saying we are reaching break even point for solar energy.. Hopefully it will come faster rather then later.. Best of it hit efficient point.

TC will still charge you same electrical bills, so to me I can't be bothered what source of energy.

Frankly the world has not shortage of energy. We all have been told to a big lie.

Solar panel is very costly.

I think US is trying to hit China for subsidizing solar panels.

So it's not simple, plug and play.

Wind power generator is also costly to maintain.

Singapore no wind.

Singapore no land.

Edited by Tigerwoods
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

TC will still charge you same electrical bills, so to me I can be bothered what source of energy.

Frankly the world has not shortage of energy. We all have been to a big lie.

Singapore no wind.

Singapore no land.

Don't think so. My friend living in those so call greener HDB one does experience some cut in bill.

i wonder will Hong Lim park has another topic on boycotting jap products, request for import testing for contamination by radiation. meantime we could use the forum to spread awareness.

Later u kanna call up lim kopi for saying these words wor...

Don't forget the IT warriors is very POWDERFUL in this issues..

A few giant fan turbines can take up one entire housing estate in terms of space required.

What we really need to concentrate on in SG is keeping our buildings cool so that they don't require too much air conditioning.

We could really tone down the air-con. I have heard many times, friends & collegues from Germany complain the indoor malls & office being too cold. Seriously, do we need 18 degC indoor?

In many countries, double glaze, and even trople glazed windows(all windows facing outdoor, in all buildings) & wall insulation are required. Considering how expensive our housing are, our contruction seems very basic. Glazed windows are also very good in sound insulation.

Heat transfer between outside & inside would be significantly reduce, reducing energy required for cooling/heating to have comfortable temperature indoor.

• Praise 2

I believe the next step into renewable resource energy generating is not as easy as it seems.

We've had 100+ years to perfect the use of petroleum/LNG

And maybe we've been too good at this part.

The next major steps will take decades and maybe even 100-200 years to become viable.

Though hopefully something can be seen in our lifetime.

Wave technology is definitely something promising. However i'm sure it's going to kill some fishes or something, then get some big hooha about killing dolphin or what not haha.

Its fantastic that so many people think we should try for more renewal enery.

Its really make financial sense and its great for the environment.

I also agree that no one source will solve all problems. Its not as if we switch to solar we can

stop importing oil.

We need a range of solutions working together. Small scale solar to power steet lights

as well as roof top solar to power a percentage of the lights at night. It will never be 100%

but every little bit helps. Even for wind energy we don't need those mega wind mills even

a small roof top unit will contribute to decrease the import of oil.

The one that has the most potential for us is wave energy. It can be deep in the sea so doesn't

affect ships and we are an island.

:D

Second that bro, use the sun, sea n wind. We got plenty of sunlight, barrage n monsoon wind isn't it.

I don't quite believe they're more costly to build than nuke plant. Perhaps only in terms of higher energy efficiency but w such high n uncontrollable risk, it is only environmentally kind n socially responsible not to proceed w nuke project.

Later u kanna call up lim kopi for saying these words wor...

Don't forget the IT warriors is very POWDERFUL in this issues..

Wonder only mah. I also wonder govt benefitted from jepun.

Perhaps a leader is trying to mimic one of the 7 habits of highly effective ppl - think win win.

Its all about dollars and cents ultimately. Everything runs on the fundamentals of economics and peoples' willingness to pay. Substitute energy sources will not be adopted in the mainstream until it becomes financially viable, either technology brings down the prices, or the cost to extract existing non-renewable sources increases beyond the threshold.

Existing renewable energy sources suggested in this thread cannot completely replace our dependence on fossil fuels for grid electricity generation. Our demand is too high and our land is too scarce even if every rooftop features both solar panels and wind turbines. With our high density housing, each installation would not be enough to supply all its residents. As someone also pointed out, though Singapore is hot and sunny, it isn't sunny enough due to the tropical cloud belt - our geographical position does not give us enough sunlight and sustained winds to justify the infrastructure.

Singapore is so close to her neighbours that us adopting nuclear energy becomes a regional issue. And the global community would also take note, given our proximity to biodiversity hotspots in Sarawak/Sabah/Kalimantan, etc. And hopefully, that is a good enough reason to maintain a reasonable, market-based pricing for whatever energy we are purchasing nowadays.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Its all about dollars and cents ultimately. Everything runs on the fundamentals of economics and peoples' willingness to pay. Substitute energy sources will not be adopted in the mainstream until it becomes financially viable, either technology brings down the prices, or the cost to extract existing non-renewable sources increases beyond the threshold.

Existing renewable energy sources suggested in this thread cannot completely replace our dependence on fossil fuels for grid electricity generation. Our demand is too high and our land is too scarce even if every rooftop features both solar panels and wind turbines. With our high density housing, each installation would not be enough to supply all its residents. As someone also pointed out, though Singapore is hot and sunny, it isn't sunny enough due to the tropical cloud belt - our geographical position does not give us enough sunlight and sustained winds to justify the infrastructure.

Singapore is so close to her neighbours that us adopting nuclear energy becomes a regional issue. And the global community would also take note, given our proximity to biodiversity hotspots in Sarawak/Sabah/Kalimantan, etc. And hopefully, that is a good enough reason to maintain a reasonable, market-based pricing for whatever energy we are purchasing nowadays.

That being said, I hope bca push for greener bldg becomes greener.

How bout anther idea? Build some dynamo in the park for young n old to pedal usin their limbs to generate electricity?

Edited by Fuelsaver

How bout anther idea? Build some dynamo in the park for young n old to pedal usin their limbs to generate electricity?

Greener?

if they have this in mind, you already see tons of hybirds and CNG cars on the road lo...

They are simply against this idea that may affect their pocket collection.... [thumbsdown]

Turbocharged

i thought big countries have it good can use wind power, but it seems electricity from windmills is generally a FLOP . . . .

With so many moving parts to worry about, maintaining turbines is expensive — too expensive when the electricity they could produce was suddenly worth so little.

‘So when something broke, you simply didn’t send a repairman because it just didn’t make financial sense,’ Hawaii wind sceptic Andrew Walden told me

With some turbine makers going out of business, there were no spare parts either.

No one who has driven past one of America’s mega wind farms today can fail to be struck by how few have blades that are turning, even in strong winds.

The truth is that even fewer may be producing electricity than it appears. Many are switched to a mode in which the blades continue to turn just to keep oil moving around the mechanism, but no electricity is produced.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Great idea. Also put those wires on the high ways. Every time a car runs over it, it generates

electricity. If they can put those little lights on kids shoes, how expensive can it be?

To me it makes a lot of economic sense to be able to breath free air free

than to have to go to those oxygen cafes and pay to breath clean air.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

How I know what is sweet spot to them?? Tech journal write one should be more accurate then we speculate one.

Then how you know it is not sweet spot to them?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Then how you know it is not sweet spot to them?

I already mention Liao. U didn't read???

Tech journal aka tech news website.

i thought big countries have it good can use wind power, but it seems electricity from windmills is generally a FLOP . . . .

With so many moving parts to worry about, maintaining turbines is expensive — too expensive when the electricity they could produce was suddenly worth so little.

‘So when something broke, you simply didn’t send a repairman because it just didn’t make financial sense,’ Hawaii wind sceptic Andrew Walden told me

With some turbine makers going out of business, there were no spare parts either.

No one who has driven past one of America’s mega wind farms today can fail to be struck by how few have blades that are turning, even in strong winds.

The truth is that even fewer may be producing electricity than it appears. Many are switched to a mode in which the blades continue to turn just to keep oil moving around the mechanism, but no electricity is produced.

Thats bcos they use the old fashion vertical design that dates back to the Holland wind mill days

They should use the more efficient horizontal design that is very stable even in high wind speeds.

post-23002-0-79900600-1402990853.jpg

post-23002-0-42172500-1402990866.jpg

We need to start somewhere, just becuase its expensive or hard is not an excuse. We brand ourselve a developed nation, but we are world class in building shopping malls, but barely better than developing nation regarding recyclable & clean energy usage & research.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

We need to start somewhere, just becuase its expensive or hard is not an excuse. We brand ourselve a developed nation, but we are world class in building shopping malls, but barely better than developing nation regarding recyclable & clean energy usage & research.

Who say we are world class in building shopping mall???

↡ Advertisement