Customs nabs World Cup TV cheats

Kb27

Supersonic

Customs officers have smashed a racket that they believe helped football fans watch World Cup matches live without having to pay TV stations.

A Customs spokesman said a syndicate sold set-top boxes which allowed those who bought them to watch paid TV channels. Each unit was sold for HK$1,700.

The head of the Customs Intellectual Property Investigation Bureau, Lee Hon- wah, said their investigations showed the syndicate subscribed to TV programs and then uploaded the content to servers outside Hong Kong.

The set-top boxes were connected to the servers via the internet and those who bought the boxes could then view the programs for free.

The spokesman said a total of 300 channels from different parts of the world were transmitted illegally to these boxes, 12 of which were local ones.

A large quantity of computer equipment and 41 set-top boxes valued at HK$140,000 were seized following raids at four homes.

Five men and four women aged between 22 and 66 were arrested.

NowTV said it had reported to the Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department illegal activities it had suspected and related to the unauthorized distribution of its programs which included sports, variety shows and movies.

PCCW TV & New Media managing director Janice Lee Hoi-yi said NowTV values the protection of intellectual property rights and reserves the right to take action.

A NowTV spokeswoman said investigations are ongoing.

According to the Copyright Ordinance, anyone who is found guilty of circumventing a business are liable to a fine of HK$500,000 and up to four years imprisonment.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=11&art_id=146541&sid=42473523&con_type=1&d_str=20140619&fc=7

Looks like those who paid for maige tv box are affected ?

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

HK$1,700? That's nearly $300 already. Why pay so much to watch world cup? [hur] [hur] [hur]

Turbocharged

HK$1,700? That's nearly $300 already. Why pay so much to watch world cup? [hur] [hur] [hur]

Not everyone care about WC lar... That box can watch many others paid channel wor...

Hypersonic

Now almost every show/movie can download. No need such gadgets already lah.

The WC I watch streaming on my TV is very clear already. Free summore. :D

Not everyone care about WC lar... That box can watch many others paid channel wor...

Turbocharged

The box is for old people at home mah... Hehehe

Turbocharged

How to do ar? I dunno.

Hypersonic

How to do ar? I dunno.

Can do it either on TV with an android media player or the computer. Need to install streaming software like TS player. Do a search on bloodzeed. The stream from there is the best on the net. Very clear. Watch EPL also very good but only thing is can't choose the match. You watch whatever he streams.

(edited)

u got sign up for free account for bloodzeed?

Can do it either on TV with an android media player or the computer. Need to install streaming software like TS player. Do a search on bloodzeed. The stream from there is the best on the net. Very clear. Watch EPL also very good but only thing is can't choose the match. You watch whatever he streams.

Edited by Rezorn86