Extending COE: Lexus GS300 vs Mercedes E200

Elmo

Hi all,

Was thinking of extending my current car's COE in 2015.
However was adviced that since I want to extend, should get something that is reliable and better value.
I narrowed down to the GS300 and E200 for their brand's reliability and comfort.

Hope to get some comments here on which is a better car in terms of reliability, parts availability and workshops' familiarity with it.

For mercedes, I am only aware of the good old w124 200E, 5spd, that is still running strong in many workhorses.
The 1996 to 2003 w210 onwards seems to be less popular.

For Lexus, I am only aware of the ES300 which is FWD and is a larger Camry-like car in other markets.
I am looking at GS300 for its RWD but other than that not familiar with its characteristics.

Appreciate any comments on the subject.
Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

What's your current car, how long have you had it and what is its condition? Not sure if it's wise to buy another old car, whose history you don't know, just to renew a COE for that.

What's your current car, how long have you had it and what is its condition? Not sure if it's wise to buy another old car, whose history you don't know, just to renew a COE for that.

Hi Loki,

My current car is a WRX. My kids are growing up and finding it a squeeze.

My wife also found it uncomfortable and noisy. She wants something quieter and more comfortable.

Was thinking of looking for a 1 owner with service records from BM / C&C for better chance of getting a good used one.

Agree with Loki, not wise to buy another car to extend COE when you don't know the history. If its your own car, its in good shape and you love it very much, then perhaps can consider.

Please remember that for a GS300 or E200 with an OMV of $55K, you lose $30K in PARF value the day you pass 10 years. Add on the prevailing COE premium, at today's price of $70K, we are talking about linear annual depreciation of $10K/yr. I can think of many decent 7-year old cars that I can buy at $12K depreciation rate with far lower risks. And good luck if you change your mind and don't want to keep the car after a few years, there wont be many takers and the price will be depressed. Ahh...also your insurance coverage is limited to 3rd party.

• Praise 6

Between the GS or ES and W210, its a no brainer. Japan 1 - Gemany 0.

Hi Soya,

For Mercedes, other than W124, what is a better series for reliability?

Thanks for your comments on Jap quality.

Does Lexus have better noise insulation than Mercedes?

Supersonic

Hi Loki,

My current car is a WRX. My kids are growing up and finding it a squeeze.

My wife also found it uncomfortable and noisy. She wants something quieter and more comfortable.

Was thinking of looking for a 1 owner with service records from BM / C&C for better chance of getting a good used one.

Oh ok. It your current car is a WRX, makes sense to get a Lexus then ... and I agree wit Soya, no brainer to choose Jap over German.

• Praise 1

I would think it's a good choice. It's one of my personal favourites; despite being 9 years old it never looks dated.

Ask yourself, have you ever seen a Lexus break down on the roads?

How about getting not a 2005, but a slightly later GS300, such as 2006-2008, so that you have more time to "wait out" the COE?

Your taste of car coincides with the Supreme Leader's, too:

33k6cfd.jpg

Supersonic

Hi Soya,

For Mercedes, other than W124, what is a better series for reliability?

Thanks for your comments on Jap quality.

Does Lexus have better noise insulation than Mercedes?

Avoid mercs in between W124 and W204 - it wasn't a particularly proud period in MB's lineup.

MBs are actually not that quiet (esp kompressors) except probably the S-Class. The 6 cyl Lexuses confirm more wafty than the W210.

But do note the road tax surcharge on >10yr car hor. Somemore lexus 3.0L....... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Agree with Loki, not wise to buy another car to extend COE when you don't know the history. If its your own car, its in good shape and you love it very much, then perhaps can consider.

Please remember that for a GS300 or E200 with an OMV of $55K, you lose $30K in PARF value the day you pass 10 years. Add on the prevailing COE premium, at today's price of $70K, we are talking about linear annual depreciation of $10K/yr. I can think of many decent 7-year old cars that I can buy at $12K depreciation rate with far lower risks. And good luck if you change your mind and don't want to keep the car after a few years, there wont be many takers and the price will be depressed. Ahh...also your insurance coverage is limited to 3rd party.

Thanks for highlighting the loss of PARF and insurance issues.

I was impressed by the many W124 on the road and their low number of ownerships which suggested that their owners love them enough and they are reliable enough to go on and on.

I hope I can find one like that but I'm looking for sth newer.

I was coming from the angle of having a budget of 100K.

Can't get much with that for new cars.

As for 2nd hand, the current market for similar cars as GS / E200 is still at the high end of 13+K depre.

If I'm extendng my WRX, the PQP COE is the same so I will be paying additional of $30K (PARF of GS 300/E200) less my WRX PARF of about $11K, if I go for the 2 lux cars instead.

But I get your point that it is more worth to get a 2nd hand PARF car than a COE car.

• Praise 1

buy a 2nd hand Parf car with 2 more years to go and "see how" - whether it's "keepable" or better to buy another new one at the end of COE. For 2 years, it's long enough for you to decide if it's "keepable".

I would think it's a good choice. It's one of my personal favourites; despite being 9 years old it never looks dated.

Ask yourself, have you ever seen a Lexus break down on the roads?

How about getting not a 2005, but a slightly later GS300, such as 2006-2008, so that you have more time to "wait out" the COE?

Your taste of car coincides with the Supreme Leader's, too:

33k6cfd.jpg

:) I didn't know that our dear MM was on that Lexus. I liked the GS300 for its looks too.

The ES300 seems too stretched like a Camry being pulled apart.

The GS300 however has a timeless look :)

Or buy a car that is already COE-paid, like this yummy one:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=407906&DL=1120

1 owner!

Have never considered BMW. I don't know enough about its reliability but I heard for drivability it beats most other lux cars.

Supersonic

:) I didn't know that our dear MM was on that Lexus. I liked the GS300 for its looks too.

The ES300 seems too stretched like a Camry being pulled apart.

The GS300 however has a timeless look :)

Hv u sat in the GS b4? Not all that spacious relative to its overall size. The rear centre transmission tunnel sibei high and wide leh. Was looking at the 450h at one point until that became a deal breaker.

Have you checked road tax structure?

That adds to cost very significantly for a old lexus.

Yes. 10% increase every year till 1.5 times. Think 3.0 is the max I can tahan. But at least it is a known fixed cost. More worry about maintenance.

Hv u sat in the GS b4? Not all that spacious relative to its overall size. The rear centre transmission tunnel sibei high and wide leh. Was looking at the 450h at one point until that became a deal breaker.

No haven't sat in one. Hence need more advice from forummers here.

I understand the rear tunnel is due to the RWD. Hence the ES300 has a much better rear space.

But I think so long as bigger than my WRX rear space my kids will be happy :)

Yes. 10% increase every year till 1.5 times. Think 3.0 is the max I can tahan. But at least it is a known fixed cost. More worry about maintenance.

back to my question... have you ever seen a Lexus break down on the roads? [;)]

buy a 2nd hand Parf car with 2 more years to go and "see how" - whether it's "keepable" or better to buy another new one at the end of COE. For 2 years, it's long enough for you to decide if it's "keepable".

That could be an option. I will likely see out my current COE and see how's the price of 2007/8 cars then.

↡ Advertisement