Extending COE: Lexus GS300 vs Mercedes E200

Elmo

confirm its a four speed. [scholar]

saab, saab is poisonous..... [grin]

Trust me it's fun. The turbo is awesome. You get a smoother ride compared to the WRX and power which can go into WRX territory if you do a tune up. Now this is a Saab that has a decent price tag.

↡ Advertisement

You really think lexus don't break down?

They do too.

I don't doubt that Lexus will break down. Just that I've never seen one, and empirically I'm wondering if anyone has :)

In anyway,just avoid the W211,2003-2005 cars,the most problematic Mercedes Benz ever...lousy fuel pump[stop suddenly],lousy fuel tank[leaking],& their Famous "S.B.C." brakes...damm.. [thumbsdown][furious]

Very true - I heard quite a few horror stories like exhaust pipe dropping off, stalling on the road etc.

Very true - I heard quite a few horror stories like exhaust pipe dropping off, stalling on the road etc.

Also seen one, able to drive thru barrier which design to stop trucks.

Also seen one, able to drive thru barrier which design to stop trucks.

W124s are known to be bomb-proof... now barrier-breaking as well.

Hypersonic

Just to share some input on the Mercedes w211 pre facelift.

I own one and took over as the 3rd owner, car was previously serviced by c&c. Maybe I'm lucky, as I've had no major issues with the car whatsoever in my 2 years of owning it. Besides the routine servicing, change of brake pads/disc and that's about it. I encountered the infamous sbc issue only recently and sent in my car to c&c, in which they subsequently resolved for a fee. I treat this as wear and tear, as parts tend to become faulty in the later years.

But I do agree that the facelift w211 is much sharper looking and probably less problematic? Having said that, I will not hesitate to buy the pre fl model again. The ride is comfy with a spacious interior, add in some mods and it looks nice. I would extend the coe and continue driving it, but not at current levels.

Hope this helps for those considering a w211 e class. Do not be too worried about the sbc, which is even fitted for expensive rides like the Mercedes SLR and Maybach. For me, I simply love the car. :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensotronic_Brake_Control#Advantages_and_disadvantages

• Praise 9

I list out the car model I driven and why I never be wrong to choose Toyota brand because of two reasons. First, it doesn’t give you problem on engine if you go for regular serving and second easy to sell on the market;

1)Toyota IST

2)Toyota Vio

3)Toyota Wish

4)Toyota Mark X

5)Lexus IS 2.5

6)Lexus GS300 ( Driving now )

• Praise 1

I don't doubt that Lexus will break down. Just that I've never seen one, and empirically I'm wondering if anyone has :)

Yes, Me! Hahaha..

I am driving a 9 y.o. White horse GS300, 2nd owner and been driving it for the last 4 years+,

so i guess i can share a little.

Most issues surfaced during year 5-7, got towed once (could have been 2x - explain later).

Otherwise, its more reliable and painless experience than my 3 y.o. E90 before this.

Alternator died during year 6, changed battery 3 times (partly because of misdiagnosed) and would need to tow her if not for fresh battery and a very short drive to the neighborhood workshop - like less than 1000M).

Why I need to tow her was because the starter died at level 4 of the narrow free CP at the shopping mall in little India. Was dead impressed with the tow truck driver - very skillful, damm kilat.

Other than these, nothing major - bought a maintenance package @ BM for 3 servicings on for year 5-6ish, thereafter, after the alternator repair at the neighborhood shop, stick with them for the last few years. I do regular servicing religiously, as i love the smooth drive on fresh engine oil. Maintenance costs, on average is about $2k a year.

It's a pretty reliable car, brought her to Penang before on a 9 hours drive (with stops) to and fro. Nice quiet drive and the "hump" at the rear may seem intimidating - but you will overlook it once you enjoy it.

ML sound system is superb - much much better than the tin sound on my last factory fitted E90.

With 11 months more to go, i am also in a "pay COE" or scrap dilemma.

• Praise 5

If you currently drive a WRX, you'll be severely disappointed with the lack of power in the W124. It has only 130bhp. It was a lot back in the 1990s but it isn't much now. Mind you, this is the 16V engine we're talking about with only a few left running around in Singapore. Most of the 16V 200Es are at the scrap yard cos most have COEs that expired in 2013, 2014.

You may see a lot of W124s on the road but most are on the old 8V engine which lacks power. Less than 130bhp. Most may not be in the best of shape and may need to be overhauled. Sure the car is comfy but I don't think you'd want to live with the crap power it gives you.

The 5 speed tranny you're referring to is the one on the W210. If I remember correctly, most W124s have the 4 speed auto tranny.

I would say give the Merc a miss. If you want to try something conti, you can try this

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=399163&DL=2341

Thanks for the recommendation. It is quite attractively priced for the specs.

Nothing against Saab but I think I will only dare to buy Mercedes for a conti.

Thks for pointing out on the gearbox on the W124. Think 5spd W124 though existed but is not the original gearbox and mostly found overseas.

W124s are known to be bomb-proof... now barrier-breaking as well.

I mentioned that the W124 is as good as a tank when I had one and it has proven itself being capable of being one recently.

But trust me unless you intend to smash through barriers on a daily basis, don't waste your time with the car. Have a look around, most W124s with the 8V engine in the market have oil leaks. I don't know why this is the case but I noticed this when I was looking around for a W124 to replace my 16V. They have nice interiors probably cos some of them were swapped over from better condition W124 but if you look at the engine, most require an overhaul.

Thanks for the recommendation. It is quite attractively priced for the specs.

Nothing against Saab but I think I will only dare to buy Mercedes for a conti.

Thks for pointing out on the gearbox on the W124. Think 5spd W124 though existed but is not the original gearbox and mostly found overseas.

I have the W211 2008 Avantgarde model and I am the 2nd owner. Thinking of letting it go due to the fact that I am now retired

and need to downgrade. Pm me if you are interested and we can discuss off line.

Yes, Me! Hahaha..

I am driving a 9 y.o. White horse GS300, 2nd owner and been driving it for the last 4 years+,

so i guess i can share a little.

Most issues surfaced during year 5-7, got towed once (could have been 2x - explain later).

Otherwise, its more reliable and painless experience than my 3 y.o. E90 before this.

Alternator died during year 6, changed battery 3 times (partly because of misdiagnosed) and would need to tow her if not for fresh battery and a very short drive to the neighborhood workshop - like less than 1000M).

Why I need to tow her was because the starter died at level 4 of the narrow free CP at the shopping mall in little India. Was dead impressed with the tow truck driver - very skillful, damm kilat.

Other than these, nothing major - bought a maintenance package @ BM for 3 servicings on for year 5-6ish, thereafter, after the alternator repair at the neighborhood shop, stick with them for the last few years. I do regular servicing religiously, as i love the smooth drive on fresh engine oil. Maintenance costs, on average is about $2k a year.

It's a pretty reliable car, brought her to Penang before on a 9 hours drive (with stops) to and fro. Nice quiet drive and the "hump" at the rear may seem intimidating - but you will overlook it once you enjoy it.

ML sound system is superb - much much better than the tin sound on my last factory fitted E90.

With 11 months more to go, i am also in a "pay COE" or scrap dilemma.

Good sharing bro.

I was attracted to the GS300's look. It looks classy without being too imposing.

I think once the PQP comes down to around $40K a lot of dealers currently holding the 05/06 GS300 will just extend them right away.

I am preparing for a PQP of around 60K. And dealers who are extending and sellng them probably will price them around $100K. That works out to a depre of $10K for the next COE life.

By that time say, the last GS will be the 07 model? So if I can find a good well maintained one can also buy it to see how it pans out by 2017.

Personally I think the COE should be at its lowest around 2015/2016.

Turbocharged

You really think lexus don't break down?

They do too.

Agree. The population of lexus is very small compared to Mercedes and BMW.

So not too fair to judge reliability based on sightings of towed vehicles.

We don't get to see that many lexus, to begin with.

A Lexus will never go wrong [thumbsup] Although I drvg an Audi but for reliability and practicality then GS300 or a more sporty will be IS250. And with a renewed COE, a New Lexus Depre can nvr come near the cost difference [:)]

All the best to u Mate :D

Yes, agree with most. Between GS and W124, go for GS!

Also true that the ES is more spacious (no rear hump) and more "comfy" compared to GS but the old ES has no start button (ie need to insert key, unlike GS which is keyless). If getting the ES, get the facelift version with memory seats, rear electric sunblind etc.

If you are getting the GS, try to get the facelift version (with signal blinker at side mirror, more chrome in front etc) and some other cosmetic changes.

Also try to get the

1) super luxury version (with wooden steering wheel, ventilated seats and other more specs) -> higher omv

2) moonroof version (quite rare but possible to find) ->higher omv

For the hybrid 450h, it is very powerful with acceleration from 0-100 around 5 seconds only and good fuel consumption.

However, rear boot space is very cramp due to the battery. And higher road tax but nice rims with some chrome parts.

Hybrid super luxury with moonroof has the highest omv among the GS range.

That old GS dvd can easily be tweaked by good mechanic to enable video in motion (passenger can still watch dvd while moving), no need costly interface, $40-50 enough.

Overall, GS is one of the most powerful car available at that era, drive responsibily.

A Lexus will never go wrong [thumbsup] Although I drvg an Audi but for reliability and practicality then GS300 or a more sporty will be IS250. And with a renewed COE, a New Lexus Depre can nvr come near the cost difference [:)]

All the best to u Mate :D

Thks bro!

Also true that the ES is more spacious (no rear hump) and more "comfy" compared to GS but the old ES has no start button (ie need to insert key, unlike GS which is keyless). If getting the ES, get the facelift version with memory seats, rear electric sunblind etc.

If you are getting the GS, try to get the facelift version (with signal blinker at side mirror, more chrome in front etc) and some other cosmetic changes.

Also try to get the

1) super luxury version (with wooden steering wheel, ventilated seats and other more specs) -> higher omv

For the hybrid 450h, it is very powerful with acceleration from 0-100 around 5 seconds only and good fuel consumption.

However, rear boot space is very cramp due to the battery. And higher road tax but nice rims with some chrome parts.

That old GS dvd can easily be tweaked by good mechanic to enable video in motion (passenger can still watch dvd while moving), no need costly interface, $40-50 enough.

Overall, GS is one of the most powerful car available at that era, drive responsibily.

Thanks for the invaluable tips! :)

Also try to get the

You are quite right, the 08-09 models look better. Honestly, after 4 years with my ride, the interior does look dated a bit, although still very functional. The electric steering adjusts itself when you start / off the car.,

Quite cool.

I still enjoy driving it after so many years and the pickup with the V6 is still exceptional.

Only pain is every six months - $1.1k road tax.

(edited)

you might want to take note that the 2008-2009 model has a different engine. it is 2995cc, compared to the 2005-2007 one which is 2994cc.

the later engine wasn't really newer, but it wasn't available to Singapore because Lexus didn't deem Singapore fuel quality to be high enough for it at first.

Edited by Alheych
↡ Advertisement