4th telco ai lai liao....

Tjkbeluga

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ida-wants-fourth-telco-auction-slated-for-q3-this-year-and-new-player-could-go-online-by

IDA wants fourth telco, auction slated for Q3 this year and new player could go online by April 2017

SINGAPORE - The local authorities are sticking to their guns on a generous proposal to woo a fourth telco to set up here, and have set the date for a mobile airwave auction for sometime in the third quarter of this year.

Despite strong objections from the three existing telcos - Singtel, StarHub and M1 - the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) said it will offer the possible newcomer 60MHz worth of mobile frequencies at an even lower reserve price of $35 million.

It initially wanted to offer the same amount of a different mix of frequencies at a reserve price of $40 million, or a 60 per cent discount.

IDA's unprecedented and controversial proposal to reserve a third of all the usable frequencies in the premium 900MHz band for the potential newcomer also stays. It is a premium band as it allows for a better signal with less equipment.

Potential newcomers will get to bid for the airwaves first, ahead of existing telcos. That means consumers may be able to expect services from a potential fourth telco as early as April 2017.

"Having more players in the market will give consumers a greater choice in selecting an offering that best suits their needs," said IDA managing director Jacqueline Poh.

IDA said that it needs to help the potential new entrant as there are high entry barriers.

For one thing, the potential newcomer would not have any revenue while incurring a huge capital expense in rolling out a brand new network. Existing players are also expected to bid prices up to keep out the newcomer, IDA said.

The authority made the decision after consulting with the industry from July to August last year.

Two local companies - fibre broadband services provider MyRepublic and a unit of Consistel, which set up the Singapore Sports Hub's wireless systems, are eyeing the chance to become the fourth telco here.

MyRepublic and OMGTel, Consistel's telco unit, had hit out at Singtel, StarHub and M1 for objecting to IDA's initial proposal.

Singtel, StarHub and M1 did not want their share of the 900MHz band to be substantially reduced when their existing rights to the premium band expire in April 2017.

They said that existing mobile users' 3G mobile voice connections would suffer if they did not retain their current holdings.

The 900MHz band has been used to deliver better indoor coverage, especially in dense housing estates. This is to meet IDA service standards, which have been steadily tightened over time.

For instance, in April 2013, IDA required telco networks to cover at least 99 per cent of outdoor areas, and 85 per cent of all floors in buildings. An operator which fails to meet the various standards may be fined up to $50,000 every month for each breach.

On this point, IDA said that every existing telco will get to keep at least 10MHz worth of their existing 900MHz frequencies based on its latest decision. Telcos also have other frequencies such as 2.1GHz for their 3G services, IDA noted.

u all are forgetting that most of us are NSman. I would say that within SAF training area, quite unlikely to get good connection from these new providers. It took m1 many years to achieve a decent signal in the training areas lol.

u all are forgetting that most of us are NSman. I would say that within SAF training area, quite unlikely to get good connection from these new providers. It took m1 many years to achieve a decent signal in the training areas lol.

I am hoping for the 4th Telco to bring the return of the 12GB

• Praise 1

I am hoping for the 4th Telco to bring the return of the 12GB

i hold m1/Singtel shares  -_-

I'm personally fine. I'm always at work or at home or at my parents/in laws place.

I try not to be stuck on my phone when I'm out with my kids anyway.

i hold m1/Singtel shares  -_-

I'm personally fine. I'm always at work or at home or at my parents/in laws place.

I try not to be stuck on my phone when I'm out with my kids anyway.

an lah

wont lose money one

Morer = Betterer!

Hope 4th telco will bring more to customers at lesser price.

We have seen prepaid per min charge drop from 35 cents to 16/8 cents... Next.... 8/4 cents... Real Free Incoming calls...

Prepaid cannot retain number to can retain number... Next.... Postpaid can change to Prepaid and vice versa...

Prepaid no data roam to can buy roam plan or use local data package for roaming... Next... data roam at local rates...

Don't understand why they bring back a 4th Telco again? Thought donkey years there was one 4th Telco in the market but eventually closed down?!

• Praise 2

That one is MVO aka NVOCC in shipping = don't own any assets.

This one need to set up infra...

Don't understand why they bring back a 4th Telco again? Thought donkey years there was one 4th Telco in the market but eventually closed down?!

• Praise 1

an lah

wont lose money one

not really, M1 has dropped substantially more than Singtel in the recent 1 year. Partly it's because it and SH has more to lose with Myrepublic coming in.

ST has their aussie and India investments to diversify its income.

That one is MVO aka NVOCC in shipping = don't own any assets.

This one need to set up infra...

more akin to saying Singtel own the satellite and all are at its mercy, similar to your Freight Forwarders vs Liner Service analogy

End of the day aren't they all GLC's still, this lobang has to be broken first, Virgin tried it ..... did not get far 

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 3

more akin to saying Singtel own the satellite and all are at its mercy, similar to your Freight Forwarders vs Liner Service

End of the day aren't they all GLC's still, this lobang has to be broken first, Virgin tried it ..... did not get far 

yeah ... i honestly don't see the need for a 4th GLC entrant.

yup, that was a joint venture between Virgin and somebody.

cannot remember the details but I think they were given GSM1900 only or something, which was not very popular back then.

again, memory a bit hazy on this ...

• Praise 2

Yes, Virgin and SingTel. Virgin buys airtime from SingTel in bulk, retail to end users.

I was their customer and still use their Virgin branded SIM card when I migrated to SinTel.

That time, airtime is around 22 cents / min while SinTel is 35 cents / min.

Yes, on PCN (Pui Chow Nuao) network which later was glamorised as GSM1900.

I think Virgin failed 'cos (i) expensive bulk rates (ii) unpopular prepaid at that time when there aren't so many FT/FWs and tourists could roam SG w/o mobile unlike now.

yup, that was a joint venture between Virgin and somebody.

cannot remember the details but I think they were given GSM1900 only or something, which was not very popular back then.

again, memory a bit hazy on this ...

• Praise 1

Virgin now owned by ST right?

So will this new 4th Telco eventually follow Virgin footstep?

Once the infrastructure is up, don't think they will close down so easily.

Virgin is ang moh kongsi, owned by Mr Horchew = Sir Richard Branson.

You want to go space, can take his Virgin spaceship also.

Virgin now owned by ST right?

Once the infrastructure is up, don't think they will close down so easily.

Edited by Kangadrool

Virgin is ang moh kongsi, owned by Mr Horchew = Sir Richard Branson.

You want to go space, can take his Virgin spaceship also.

is he still a virgin?  :huh:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1