4th telco ai lai liao....

Tjkbeluga

she is very concern about getting hurt wor....

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/singtel-ceo-concerned-entry-of-4th-carrier-will-lead-to-focus-on-price?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&link_time=1455254689#xtor=CS1-10

Singtel CEO concerned entry of 4th carrier will lead to focus on price only

gcsingtelceo15.jpg?itok=lHmxvRuhSingtel CEO Chua Sock Koong.PHOTO: ST FILE

SINGAPORE (BLOOMBERG) - The head of Singapore's biggest phone company said she is concerned the entry of a new operator will drive the focus of the competition to just price and will hurt the industry.

Singapore plans to auction radio frequencies for use by a fourth carrier this year, challenging Singapore Telecommunications or Singtel and its two smaller rivals. The regulator has been seeking industry feedback since April 2014 to find a solution to growing mobile data traffic in the nation, whose 5.6 million residents rank among the most active users of social media in the Asia-Pacific region. A new operator may not have as wide a network reach as the incumbents.

"The only way that they can gain customers will be by way of reducing prices," Ms Chua Sock Koong, Singtel's chief executive officer, said in a Bloomberg Television interview on Friday (Feb 12).

"The existing operators would look at how best to respond. Clearly just leading prices down, it's not good for the sustainability of the industry."

In November, Ms Chua downplayed the need for more players in the city-state. Adding a fourth mobile-phone operator will give Singapore more carriers than China or Japan, which both have far greater populations.

Maybank Kim Eng Holdings said last month it expects increased competition to crimp profit margins at the island's phone companies and force them to cut dividends.

The new operator probably will not have the same network coverage as the existing companies, Ms Chua said, adding that Singtel is already conducting trials on the latest 5G networks. "It is an industry that significant capital investment on an ongoing basis," she said.

Singtel's third-quarter profit fell 1.7 per cent to S$954 million as the Singapore dollar strengthened against the currencies of Australia and Indonesia, where the telco has stakes in phone operators.

The stock rose 0.9 per cent to S$3.57 as of 12.14 pm in Singapore trading, paring the decline this year to 2.7 per cent. The Bloomberg Asia Pacific Telecommunications Index, which tracks 32 stocks in the region, lost 6.1 per cent.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

One thing I'm waiting for from the 4th telco is full number portability. Currently, prepaid can port to postpaid but postpaid cannot port to prepaid.

• Praise 1

Only in Singapore telco industry, competition leads to increase in price. I'm very scat BPL now will cost $200 per month with competition, really.

• Praise 4

Only in Singapore telco industry, competition leads to increase in price. I'm very scat BPL now will cost $200 per month with competition, really.

in SG, it's been proven countless times that introducing competition blindly doesn't work. Number one is that costs are high here (land, salaries, cost of complying with regulation compared to other countries bo zheng hu just bribe the inspector).

Number two is that there's just limited volume.

Anyway telco is a high cost setup, i really wonder how Myrepublic wants to break even. All its competitors are so well established.

• Praise 3

(edited)

SMLJ? Caller ID is also considered special add-on service at this age? Still need to pay extra just to see who's calling when prepaid is free from day 1?

Can't this 4th telco be a bit more 'creative' and disruptive and offer it as free? 

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 3

Supersonic

SMLJ? Caller ID is also considered special add-on service at this age? Still need to pay extra just to see who's calling when prepaid is free from day 1?

Can't this 4th telco be a bit more 'creative' and disruptive and offer it as free? 

Must look at the whole package leh.

I reserve my comments till they show the entire package. But comparing "data only" plans between them and the other 3 telcos.... They are already much cheaper.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

lai lai lai.

Myrepublic trying to gather some support.

http://www.greatdeals.com.sg/2016/03/09/myrepublic-data-only-mobile-plans-announced/

Data only? Wah what if someone call you. Then it goes thru a voice app as well?

hmmm so far my experience on whatsapp VOIP calls is that it isn't as clear as normal telephone calls.

Okay what, can choose unlimited data at 80 bucks per month, incoming call, out going call, surf Internet no need worry can use as much as possible as it would be 80per month

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

she is very concern about getting hurt

She is very concern her bonus will get hurt lar... Edited by Nlatio
  • Praise 4

If they let me port from postpaid to prepaid then I'm sold.

me too....take my $$$

• Praise 2

Just need one operator to blink first.

But, unless being forced by regulator to or this 4th telco is very disruptive, it is unlikely to happen. 

That's why I took quite some time to wean my postpaid number while running parallel with my prepaid. Now, I am contract free. Yet, I can buy relevant plans to keep per unit cost down without any commitment. In fact, I can rollover unused balance when I renew my plan. At the same time, my expiry date gets extended.

If they let me port from postpaid to prepaid then I'm sold.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

How to wean? Prepaid plans so good meh.

I once counted that I am paying close to 0 for my postpaid plan. That was at the peak of the iPhone craze where I collect the phone and sell for profit.

• Praise 1

If you need phone subsidy and buying and selling fruitphone to make a profit, then continue with postpaid. Prepaid is not suitable for you.

Prepaid is good for those who like to pay only for what they use only. And in SG vs MY, prepaid is much better as you don't need to bother too much on short expiry date. All SG telco has prepaid expiry of 90 days even for cheap <$8 starter SIM card. Cannot finish $8 in 3 months, no problem, use main account credit to buy extension for as low as $1.99 for another two months.

SIM card got problem or need to change nano SIM, no problem, it's free for prepaid.

How to wean? Prepaid plans so good meh.

I once counted that I am paying close to 0 for my postpaid plan. That was at the peak of the iPhone craze where I collect the phone and sell for profit.

Edited by Kangadrool

If you need phone subsidy and buying and selling fruitphone to make a profit, then continue with postpaid. Prepaid is not suitable for you.

Prepaid is good for those who like to pay only for what they use only. And in SG vs MY, prepaid is much better as you don't need to bother too much on short expiry date. All SG telco has prepaid expiry of 90 days even for cheap <$8 starter SIM card. Cannot finish $8 in 3 months, no problem, use main account credit to buy extension for as low as $1.99 for another two months.

SIM card got problem or need to change nano SIM, no problem, it's free for prepaid.

I don't need these subsidies. I'm currently happily using a 220 sgd Asus dual sim phones.

I also don't make many phone calls but I do use quite a fair bit of data - 6GB a month.

Not sure what your experience is with MY prepaid simcards but the one I have is valid for 365 days. Top up 10 RM only.

Edited by Kusje

i thought prepaid data is expensive? Only voice call is cheap.

honestly, until u people talk about it, i never heard of anyone complaining they want prepaid...