• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
64 replies to this topic | 137 praises

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

Tianmo
  • Premium member
    Tianmo
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

http://www.singapore...an-step-in.html

Fail to pay tax despite reminder? Bank can step in

Source
Straits Times
Date
26 Jun 2014
Author
Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh

SINGAPORE'S taxman and DBS Bank yesterday gave an explanation for a retiree's claim that her bank account was hacked into when she forgot to pay her property tax.

The Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (Iras) said that when a person fails to pay property tax even after a reminder has been sent, it will appoint a bank to use the person's money which it holds to pay on his behalf. DBS added that it will inform the person in writing before it makes the deduction.

Both organisations were responding to queries from The Straits Times after retiree Irene Yap, 76, claimed at a Central Provident Fund (CPF) dialogue on June 14 that her DBS account was hacked into after she forgot to pay her property tax.

The former teacher said the bank had "scoured" her account for money to give to the Iras, and questioned whether it was ethical.

But under Section 38 of the Property Tax Act, banks can pay overdue taxes from money held for or on behalf of the taxpayer, DBS said yesterday.

The Iras said when a taxpayer does not pay taxes by the due date, it will send the person a "notice to pay", with a 5 per cent penalty added.

"The penalty will be waived if (the) taxpayer has genuine reasons for failure to pay," it said. "A taxpayer who is stretched in his or her finances should contact Iras to work out an instalment plan."

The Iras website shows payment must be made within 14 days of the reminder.

Yesterday, the Iras said it will appoint a bank to pay taxes owed to the Government by a person only if he does not respond to the "notice to pay'' reminder. The bank is released as agent only after the tax and penalty are fully paid, said its website.

At the same dialogue, which was conducted by Member of Parliament Hri Kumar Nair, Ms Yap also claimed she was not able to withdraw money from her CPF Retirement Account (RA).

Last Friday, the CPF Board and Senior Minister of State for Manpower and Health Amy Khor cleared the air about her situation. The Board said it will send CPF members who reach their drawdown age a letter to inform them that they can apply to receive monthly payouts from their RA.

Ms Yap was notified four months before her drawdown age in 1998, but she did not respond. In 2012, the CPF Board reminded her again that she could start receiving her monthly payouts. Again, they did not receive any instructions from Ms Yap, said Dr Khor.

The CPF Board said it is in contact with Ms Yap to help her withdraw her RA savings if she wants to. Ms Yap could not be reached for comment yesterday.

:wacko: :huh:

be careful hor...................next time any tax also they can take from your bank account...................no need to sign any form one...................but when you need to draw your cpf (technically your own money)........please fill up forms.............no automatic hor............

Edited by Tianmo, 27 June 2014 - 01:56 PM.

Jman888, 2BDriver and Rainbowbiatch praised this
芸芸人海,罪孽深重,神佛不渡,唯我魔渡

with the spirit of the MCF tiko club..............We are................ TIKO RANGERS!!!

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

Joseph22
  • Premium member
    Joseph22
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

So the reason is because she didn't reply to the request to withdraw money...

But this is a bad policy, the draw down should be automatic...
1 Anonymous member praised this
Those who are for a cleaner MCF, change your avatar to a empty black image.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Strat
  • Premium member
    Strat
    5th Gear
    Author Image

like that better put savings in off shore banks ...

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Hydrocarbon
  • Hydrocarbon
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

:wacko: :huh:

be careful hor...................next time any tax also they can take from your bank account...................no need to sign any form one...................but when you need to draw your cpf (technically your own money)........please fill up forms.............no automatic hor............

I don't see why the CPF deductions can't be automatic when the tax is automatically taken.

1 Anonymous member praised this
吃别人所不能吃的苦,忍别人所不能忍的气,做别人所不能做的事,
就能享受别人所不能享受的一切.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Ahgong
  • Premium member
    Ahgong
    Supercharged
    Author Image

happened to me one time too. was on overseas assignment and overlooked the payment.

knn... frozed my acct. then expect me to make payment when all my money is in that account that was frozen.

end up need to mah lu, borrow from my mother to make payment to unfreeze the account.

now they more sak kee. bank take your money to pay on your behalf~!!!
wow~!!!

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

this Irene Yap very famous one   [rolleyes]  [rolleyes]

骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

Mcf777
  • Mcf777
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

isnt she the person who spoke up during 1 of the MP dialogue on the CPF issue?

now IRAs kong pao shi chou against her?

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

Tianmo
  • Premium member
    Tianmo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I don't see why the CPF deductions can't be automatic when the tax is automatically taken.

you are not alone................. [laugh] [laugh]

芸芸人海,罪孽深重,神佛不渡,唯我魔渡

with the spirit of the MCF tiko club..............We are................ TIKO RANGERS!!!

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

Joseph22
  • Premium member
    Joseph22
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

isnt she the person who spoke up during 1 of the MP dialogue on the CPF issue?

now IRAs kong pao shi chou against her?

Yeah.. Now they sling mud...

Next time, before one engage the gahmen better pay all tax.. If not later everyone know u didn't pay tax.
Those who are for a cleaner MCF, change your avatar to a empty black image.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

frenchfly
  • frenchfly
    5th Gear
    Author Image

It happen to me

Was jobless in 2009. When there were many agents helping foreigns find job, think the agents even blatantly advertise cash back for employer.

They deduct on Monday, tuesday letter come.

Edited by frenchfly, 27 June 2014 - 02:58 PM.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

It happen to me

Was jobless in 2009. When there were many agents helping foreigns find job

They deduct on Monday, tuesday letter come.

what is the link?

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

happened to me one time too. was on overseas assignment and overlooked the payment.
knn... frozed my acct. then expect me to make payment when all my money is in that account that was frozen.

end up need to mah lu, borrow from my mother to make payment to unfreeze the account.

now they more sak kee. bank take your money to pay on your behalf~!!!
wow~!!!

i also kana....cb....owe IRAS $700....they freeze my account. Salary go in but cannot withdraw! Call bank and they say must call cpf.....nb!
Together We stand Alone

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

i also kana....cb....owe IRAS $700....they freeze my account. Salary go in but cannot withdraw! Call bank and they say must call cpf.....nb!

income tax or property tax?

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

frenchfly
  • frenchfly
    5th Gear
    Author Image

what is the link?

Back then very hard to find job cos all employer wants cheap labour

Hard to get a job, but iras dont care, u own garmen money you better paid up first

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

income tax or property tax?

u think i leave in landed mei? Income tax but that was in early 90s. Now they seem to be 'progressing', can auto deduct from bank account.....xiao liao!
Together We stand Alone

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

Back then very hard to find job cos all employer wants cheap labour

Hard to get a job, but iras dont care, u own garmen money you better paid up first

did you try writing in to IRAS to inform them that you are jobless, i think you can get 1 year deferment for income tax. 

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Wah no law one ah..

can suka suka hack your account ?

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

Myxilplix
  • Myxilplix
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

It's not hacking if it's legal.

A line of paint on a road holds more authority than I ever will.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

Icedbs
  • Icedbs
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

actually this auto deduction from bank account if you fail to pay your taxes is already well known. Most people already know it except this Ms. Yap who thinks her account kena hacked.

Ktglfc praised this

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

So DBS need to update its terms and conditions and state big big,

DBS reserve the right to take your money as it deems fit !!!

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: dbs, iras, account, hecked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users