DBS account "hacked" to pay IRAS

Tianmo

(edited)

http://www.singaporelawwatch.sg/slw/headlinesnews/44136-fail-to-pay-tax-despite-reminder-bank-can-step-in.html

Fail to pay tax despite reminder? Bank can step in

Source
Straits Times
Date
26 Jun 2014
Author
Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh

SINGAPORE'S taxman and DBS Bank yesterday gave an explanation for a retiree's claim that her bank account was hacked into when she forgot to pay her property tax.

The Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (Iras) said that when a person fails to pay property tax even after a reminder has been sent, it will appoint a bank to use the person's money which it holds to pay on his behalf. DBS added that it will inform the person in writing before it makes the deduction.

Both organisations were responding to queries from The Straits Times after retiree Irene Yap, 76, claimed at a Central Provident Fund (CPF) dialogue on June 14 that her DBS account was hacked into after she forgot to pay her property tax.

The former teacher said the bank had "scoured" her account for money to give to the Iras, and questioned whether it was ethical.

But under Section 38 of the Property Tax Act, banks can pay overdue taxes from money held for or on behalf of the taxpayer, DBS said yesterday.

The Iras said when a taxpayer does not pay taxes by the due date, it will send the person a "notice to pay", with a 5 per cent penalty added.

"The penalty will be waived if (the) taxpayer has genuine reasons for failure to pay," it said. "A taxpayer who is stretched in his or her finances should contact Iras to work out an instalment plan."

The Iras website shows payment must be made within 14 days of the reminder.

Yesterday, the Iras said it will appoint a bank to pay taxes owed to the Government by a person only if he does not respond to the "notice to pay'' reminder. The bank is released as agent only after the tax and penalty are fully paid, said its website.

At the same dialogue, which was conducted by Member of Parliament Hri Kumar Nair, Ms Yap also claimed she was not able to withdraw money from her CPF Retirement Account (RA).

Last Friday, the CPF Board and Senior Minister of State for Manpower and Health Amy Khor cleared the air about her situation. The Board said it will send CPF members who reach their drawdown age a letter to inform them that they can apply to receive monthly payouts from their RA.

Ms Yap was notified four months before her drawdown age in 1998, but she did not respond. In 2012, the CPF Board reminded her again that she could start receiving her monthly payouts. Again, they did not receive any instructions from Ms Yap, said Dr Khor.

The CPF Board said it is in contact with Ms Yap to help her withdraw her RA savings if she wants to. Ms Yap could not be reached for comment yesterday.

:wacko::huh:

be careful hor...................next time any tax also they can take from your bank account...................no need to sign any form one...................but when you need to draw your cpf (technically your own money)........please fill up forms.............no automatic hor............

Edited by Tianmo
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

So the reason is because she didn't reply to the request to withdraw money...

But this is a bad policy, the draw down should be automatic...

• Praise 1

:wacko::huh:

be careful hor...................next time any tax also they can take from your bank account...................no need to sign any form one...................but when you need to draw your cpf (technically your own money)........please fill up forms.............no automatic hor............

I don't see why the CPF deductions can't be automatic when the tax is automatically taken.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

happened to me one time too. was on overseas assignment and overlooked the payment.

knn... frozed my acct. then expect me to make payment when all my money is in that account that was frozen.

end up need to mah lu, borrow from my mother to make payment to unfreeze the account.

now they more sak kee. bank take your money to pay on your behalf~!!!
wow~!!!

Turbocharged

isnt she the person who spoke up during 1 of the MP dialogue on the CPF issue?

now IRAs kong pao shi chou against her?

I don't see why the CPF deductions can't be automatic when the tax is automatically taken.

you are not alone................. [laugh] [laugh]

Turbocharged

isnt she the person who spoke up during 1 of the MP dialogue on the CPF issue?

now IRAs kong pao shi chou against her?

Yeah.. Now they sling mud...

Next time, before one engage the gahmen better pay all tax.. If not later everyone know u didn't pay tax.

(edited)

It happen to me

Was jobless in 2009. When there were many agents helping foreigns find job, think the agents even blatantly advertise cash back for employer.

They deduct on Monday, tuesday letter come.

Edited by frenchfly

It happen to me

Was jobless in 2009. When there were many agents helping foreigns find job

They deduct on Monday, tuesday letter come.

what is the link?

happened to me one time too. was on overseas assignment and overlooked the payment.

knn... frozed my acct. then expect me to make payment when all my money is in that account that was frozen.

end up need to mah lu, borrow from my mother to make payment to unfreeze the account.

now they more sak kee. bank take your money to pay on your behalf~!!!

wow~!!!

i also kana....cb....owe IRAS $700....they freeze my account. Salary go in but cannot withdraw! Call bank and they say must call cpf.....nb!

i also kana....cb....owe IRAS $700....they freeze my account. Salary go in but cannot withdraw! Call bank and they say must call cpf.....nb!

income tax or property tax?

what is the link?

Back then very hard to find job cos all employer wants cheap labour

Hard to get a job, but iras dont care, u own garmen money you better paid up first

income tax or property tax?

u think i leave in landed mei? Income tax but that was in early 90s. Now they seem to be 'progressing', can auto deduct from bank account.....xiao liao!

Back then very hard to find job cos all employer wants cheap labour

Hard to get a job, but iras dont care, u own garmen money you better paid up first

did you try writing in to IRAS to inform them that you are jobless, i think you can get 1 year deferment for income tax.