BBDC/Cyclist incident: 'Just overtake la! So easy!'

Eighttales

(edited)

It was a bit more than a "warning tap" - and yeah, when a car honks that much at a bike - I do consider it provocative.

If a car honked that much at me - I would be rather upset - and also rather intimidated.

There's no reason whatsoever that the car couldn't go around the bike - and by the third time he honked - really just trying to be a bully - after the first two times the bike didn't move, he's not going to move for the third time.

give warning tap and he still don't wanna move, of course honk more la.

i don't think the cyclist felt intimidated.. in fact he felt like a hero; see the handsigns he gave to the driver and instructor. if he were intimidated, he'd just kept to the left and let the car pass. why risk his life braking in front of a learner car? he doesn't have brake lights or anything to show that he's slowing down. and he did not coast to a stop, he hit the brakes.

there actually is a reason why. can you imagine the traffic build up on bukit batok road if all the learner cars have to go onto the 2nd lane just to overtake cyclists? all other vehicles (including heavy trucks) have to overtake via lane 1. why? all because some cyclists decided that they want to have the lane all to themselves.

anyway, sad to say, the banglas on bicycles are the more road friendly cyclists compared to the cyclists in spandex.. a lot of banglas ride on the outer yellow line which is fine with me - at least they're trying their best to keep to the side

Edited by Eighttales
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)

Somebody send this guy back for basic theory please.

Vehicles of speed limit of 60 kmph and below
—(1) Any vehicle which has a speed limit of 60 kmph and below shall be driven along the left hand lane of the expressway except when overtaking another vehicle or passing an obstruction or in compliance with any traffic or directional sign.
and

58. On a two-lane carriageway, keep to the left-hand lane except when overtaking.
59. On a three-lane carriageway, you may keep to the central lane when the left-hand lane is occupied by slower moving vehicles. The outer (right-hand) lane is for overtaking only; do not stay in it longer than necessary after overtaking vehicles in the centre lane.

So who, exactly, needs to go back for basic theory? Moron

Edited by Darryn

It was a bit more than a "warning tap" - and yeah, when a car honks that much at a bike - I do consider it provocative.

If a car honked that much at me - I would be rather upset - and also rather intimidated.

There's no reason whatsoever that the car couldn't go around the bike - and by the third time he honked - really just trying to be a bully - after the first two times the bike didn't move, he's not going to move for the third time.

Bro, I doubt anyone will give an irritating horn at the very first time.

They will start to react more if the first few horns turn into deaf ears ( in this case, the cyclist are acting like they are deaf which I really salute they can withstand the loud noise for so many times) [thumbsup]

Overtaking when you are a L-plate is never an option unless really required.

And in this case, the car do nothing wrong to sound the warning to the cyclist.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Bro, I doubt anyone will give an irritating horn at the very first time.

They will start to react more if the first few horns turn into deaf ears ( in this case, the cyclist are acting like they are deaf which I really salute they can withstand the loud noise for so many times) [thumbsup]

Overtaking when you are a L-plate is never an option unless really required.

And in this case, the car do nothing wrong to sound the warning to the cyclist.

See how much the car honked from the very beginning...

I dunno how the cyclist felt - but if I had been in his shoes I would have been rather intimidated.

Anytime I am on the bike, and someone honks me from behind it worries me - rather a lot

And yes - he did do something wrong - there is no need to "sound a warning" to a cyclist in that situation - either

a) wait patitiently till you reach your turn

b) overtake

No need to try and bully the cyclist out of the way

Edited by Darryn

let me set this straight once and for all

there's no reason why the car would honk unless it is being obstructed by a vehicle in front of it, similarly there's no reason why a bicycle would stop unless it is obstructed by something in front of it.

in this case the car/driver was likely offended by the behavior of the cyclist(s) because obviously they can keep in a single file if they so choose to, so your agument that the car can overtake because the driver can so choose to is moot. your point vs my point, 1-1.

penalty kick time.

it all starts with one party. if the cyclists were considerate in the FIRST PLACE, none of these would have happened.

if in the first place the car sounded a horn and the cyclists kept to the left, then i don't think the honking would have progressed.

See how much the car honked from the very beginning...

I dunno how the cyclist felt - but if I had been in his shoes I would have been rather intimidated.

Anytime I am on the bike, and someone honks me from behind it worries me - rather a lot

U sure you really see the beginning of this whole saga?

or unless u are that cyclist ? [lipsrsealed]

(edited)

you can't read and understand and start calling me a moron? nice try, and nice try for getting personal. shows how ugly you get when you lose a debate.

all of the above means in ANY CASE you have to keep left, not just on an expressway.

understand, young boy?

Edited by Detach8

Turbocharged

let me set this straight once and for all

there's no reason why the car would honk unless it is being obstructed by a vehicle in front of it, similarly there's no reason why a bicycle would stop unless it is obstructed by something in front of it.

in this case the car/driver was likely offended by the behavior of the cyclist(s) because obviously they can keep in a single file if they so choose to, so your agument that the car can overtake because the driver can so choose to is moot. your point vs my point, 1-1.

penalty kick time.

it all starts with one party. if the cyclists were considerate in the FIRST PLACE, none of these would have happened.

if in the first place the car sounded a horn and the cyclists kept to the left, then i don't think the honking would have progressed.

In the first place it is a three lane road

there are two other lanes for over taking

In the first place - did you listen to the video? It wasn't a one time tap, it was multiple honks

In the second place - the cyclists are allowed to ride like that

In the fourth place - when travelling in the left lane - there is absolutely NO responsibility to "speed up" to the speed that the car behind wants you to go

In the fourth place - "obstructed" implies deliberately blocking - the cyclists were not blocking - there was space for the driver to go around, he just didn't want to.

you can't read and understand and start calling me a moron? nice try, and nice try for getting personal. shows how ugly you get when you lose a debate.

all of the above means in ANY CASE you have to keep left, not just on an expressway.

understand, young boy?

And the cyclist was in which lane?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

U sure you really see the beginning of this whole saga?

or unless u are that cyclist ? [lipsrsealed]

What are you suggesting happened prior to this?

We can see the car approaching from pretty far back -

Beeep beep beep

Pause

Beep beep beep

What do you call that?

Thats a pink rider Darryn is defending.......he got pinky fetish!

I like pink dot - not pink lycra

My colour is YELLOW!!

Somebody send this guy back for basic theory please.

Actually he's spot on. The only time the law stipulates that you must keep left unless overtaking is on the expressway.

You may want want to brush up on your basic theory on who gets to use roads as well.

• Praise 1

(edited)

In the first place - did you listen to the video? It wasn't a one time tap, it was multiple honks

In the fourth place - when travelling in the left lane - there is absolutely NO responsibility to "speed up" to the speed that the car behind wants you to go

In the fourth place - "obstructed" implies deliberately blocking - the cyclists were not blocking - there was space for the driver to go around, he just didn't want to.

And the cyclist was in which lane?

in the first place, the number of honks don't matter because none of us know what happened before that. it was YOUR assumption that it's aggression.

in the second place, cyclists are allowed to ride like that, so are cars allowed to drive up to the road speed limit... so you choose if you want your life or not?

in the third place, the left lane is for cars. bikes are to keep left WITHIN the left lane. that's because they are slow moving vehicles.

in the fourth place, the pink guy who fell behind the pack, swerved out to the middle or right, was NOT deliberately blocking? then what was he doing? drunk riding?

lastly, bicycles should keep to which side again?

Edited by Detach8

(edited)

first, it started with a one time tap, cyclists didn't move. so he tapped a few more times. what do you expect the car behind to do? honk once, then stop the cyclists and offer them tea before moving on?

second, cars are allowed to honk. don't like the honking? move aside (don't even have to stop to let the car overtake) and the honking will disappear. EDIT: why drag everybody down when you're moving so slowly compared to cars?

fourth, you sure they were not deliberately blocking? look at how the pink guy rides in the middle of the lane, slows down, and brakes to a halt. if that's not deliberate, i dont know what is.

Edited by Eighttales

(edited)

Actually he's spot on. The only time the law stipulates that you must keep left unless overtaking is on the expressway.

You may want want to brush up on your basic theory on who gets to use roads as well.

he actually copied + pasted something from the book and got it wrong and still called me a moron. what a joke.

all cars are supposed to keep left on all roads, irregardless of the type of carriageway. please go and read up.

there's no argument for hogging. keep left as much as possible. when i drove my friend's crappy 1.0l car going up the shears bridge, i also keep left as much as i can so cars can easily overtake me without having to completely enter the next lane.

Edited by Detach8

—(1) Any vehicle which has a speed limit of 60 kmph and below shall be driven along the left hand lane of the expressway except when overtaking another vehicle or passing an obstruction or in compliance with any traffic or directional sign.
and

58. On a two-lane carriageway, keep to the left-hand lane except when overtaking.
59. On a three-lane carriageway, you may keep to the central lane when the left-hand lane is occupied by slower moving vehicles. The outer (right-hand) lane is for overtaking only; do not stay in it longer than necessary after overtaking vehicles in the centre lane.

Hoggers, are you reading this?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6