BBDC/Cyclist incident: 'Just overtake la! So easy!'

Eighttales

No it can't - and neither, after you run the cyclist down will the judge be very sympathetic to "but they don't belong on the road"...

and what sort of a person feels they need to force a cyclist off the road - what exactly will it prove about your masuclinity?

1 life = 6 months jail/ 5 years licence gone.

IMO, i dont think it worth it (cycle part)

Personally I dont force any cyclist out of the road. it just i seen too many parents crying or telling me story of their child die due to cycling.

Once again i dont think it worth it

As for masuclinity, Does this apply to the cyclist as well? and not just to the driver?

No offence to anyone.

↡ Advertisement

FYI if u don't know the law.

Under road traffic act, bicycle is a vehcie under the same definition as a car or a lorry or a motorcycle.

Great info. I was just thinking if a bicycle is define as a vehicle under local law. Would you be so kind as to provide a reference to the relevant Cap/Section/Article please? Do you know if then the bicycle would have the right to the road (under the law) as well?

Was just imagining driving behind an old man riding a bike and occupying 1 lane in a 1 or 2 way street in Singapore. [bigcry] Dun think can charge him for road hogging for going at 10-20kmh also...

Maybe some bros can enlighten us on this. [thumbsup]

Twincharged

BBDC cars are silver.....from video can see some markings on the side of the car when the videoing cyclist went down to confront the instructor!To be exact its BBDC car number 57.

I used this car quite alot when I was learning. Should be quite old car already. I rmb I keep getting car 57 for most of my lessons and seems like the same model as what i used.

If its the same group of instructors then I guess its the instructor that honked. The instructors that taught me were the kind that keep telling me move off from red light might floor the accelerator and change at around 4-5k rpm. Ask me not to be scared of accelerating hard.

So, can cycle on the road or not?

Since the law can't save cyclist, how come cycling is THE new golf?

How come there are more & more rich ppl cycling their 20k bicycle on the road?

Aren't rich ppl more risk averse??

Someonce mention there a law that can cycle on the road.

So i think it should not be a problem.

Cycling is a great sport and passion i wont deny.

Which lead to lot of rich ppl or alot of ppl cycling on the road.

But point is, SG road is not as safe as we think.

Everyday there is like 2-3 or even more accident on the road.

Nowaday the newer car come with TSI/GTI/TC or so on which even faster.

So the key is, once a bang, that game over.

Turbocharged

Great info. I was just thinking if a bicycle is define as a vehicle under local law. Would you be so kind as to provide a reference to the relevant Cap/Section/Article please? Do you know if then the bicycle would have the right to the road (under the law) as well?

Was just imagining driving behind an old man riding a bike and occupying 1 lane in a 1 or 2 way street in Singapore. [bigcry] Dun think can charge him for road hogging for going at 10-20kmh also...

Maybe some bros can enlighten us on this. [thumbsup]

Two definitions

“bicycle” means a two-wheeled pedal cycle constructed or adapted for use as a means of conveyance;

“vehicle” means any vehicle whether mechanically propelled or otherwise;

heee... i like this

Aside from buses, only emergency service, police vehicles and bicycles are allowed on bus lanes.

Motorists who drive on bus lanes during restricted hours may be fined up to S$1000 or serve 3 months of imprisonment.

Twincharged

Most cyclists should know that there are risks involved when cycling on the roads and most are able to accept it that is why they are on the roads. They just need to be more aware and try to keep themselves save.

When I am cycling on the roads and someone honks at me so aggressively like the car in the video, I will also make sure I have more space on my left just in case he decides to overtake really close to me. That way I have space on my left to avoid a collision if I need to. Cuz usually its these kind of impatient drivers that overtake really closely.

Since newer car come with TSI/GTI/TC, does it mean that it is not safe to drive Toyota Altis/Nissan Sunny (since these 2 car can't catch up)?

I used this car quite alot when I was learning. Should be quite old car already. I rmb I keep getting car 57 for most of my lessons and seems like the same model as what i used.

If its the same group of instructors then I guess its the instructor that honked. The instructors that taught me were the kind that keep telling me move off from red light might floor the accelerator and change at around 4-5k rpm. Ask me not to be scared of accelerating hard.

mine was at amkdc. Ya, usually u will get the same numbered car as your previous lessons maybe due to familiarity. I was also assigned to the same car during my driving lesson unless it was a lesson i took over from someone who cancelled their lesson.

This thread is quickly becoming another hogger vs tailgaters thread. 2 negatives dont make a positive! For everybody.....Please bear in mind everybody has the right to use the roads. We see 2 negative actions.....do we need to argue on who is right and who is wrong! Be considerate of other users and drive safe!

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Ego problem again.. Cyclist and driver both also dun wan to lose face... But cyclist is on the losing end.. Nvr consider own safety... What's the point of arguing who is right or wrong. Lost of life is always tragic.. Everyone has different perception so let's agree to disagree then move on. Let's channel the energy to meaningful causes..👍😊

Edited by TJX
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Ego problem again.. What's the point of arguing who is right or wrong. Everyone has different perception so let's Agree to disagree then move on. Let's channel the energy to meaningful causes..👍😊

that cyclist is already in the wrong......he wore a pink shirt in Bukit Batok! Shouldnt he be cycling towards Hong Lim Park? Edited by Eviilusion

Turbocharged

that cyclist is already in the wrong......he wore a pink shirt in Bukit Batok! Shouldnt he be cycling towards Hong Lim Park?

This one I agree! Hahaha!

(edited)

I'm sorry if someone's ineptitude caused them to be rear ended you blame the slow guy in front???? Makes no sense to me at all. You're on the road. If you can't pull off a maneuver safely don't!

Yes, I blame the slow guy in front simply because he had a choice to act in a safe "live and let live" fashion and CHOSE not to. I'm referring, of course, to the bloody-minded cyclist. We're taught repeatedly to be patient and give allowance to L-platers, and even P-platers. So where was the patience/allowance accorded by the cyclist in this case? He *could* have pulled up gradually to the side of the road and let the car pass, but noooo, he was exercising his right to the road. Well, in my book, that makes him a dick.

The only other choice the L-plater had was to crawl behind the cyclist for the entire duration of the lesson (unless the cyclist turned off somewhere). I'd say that's a massively wasted lesson, wouldn't you? In all likelihood, this was the ONLY choice the L-plater had, because the instructor would probably have forbidden him from even making an attempt at a lane change in those traffic conditions. The cyclist could have been magnanimous here, but CHOSE not to be.

At the end of the day, it's an L-plater!!! They are expected to be inept!! This seems to be a fact acknowledged by the entire Universe except seemingly, by cyclists like you and Mr. Pink.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

On re-reading

No one is FORCING the car to overtake - this is one of the most important lessons that you need to learn on the roads - never ever never get "forced" into something you feel is unsafe.

If you don't feel safe overtaking - then bide your time, be patient and wait. Don't worry - you won't die.

I'm sorry, but this is also untenable. Yes, he's an L-plater and has to go slowly. But being forced to slipstream a pedal bike is NOT going to teach him anything but intolerable frustration. The cyclist was the one with more choice, and he chose not to exercise it. He simply chose to be a chode.

(edited)

When I was an L-plater, I was allowed to make lane changes and do pretty much anything (legal) I wanted. But that's because my instructor could see that I knew what I was doing right from the first practical lesson. It comes down to the instructor's judgement - if he's judged that the L-plater can't be trusted to make a safe lane change, he won't (or shouldn't) allow it. Yes, I guess the L-plater can follow behind the slow-moving cyclist for miles and miles. But that's hardly fair to the L-plater. There was a gracious solution here, and it rested in the hands of the cyclist. Too bad he chose to be a dick about it.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Two definitions

“bicycle” means a two-wheeled pedal cycle constructed or adapted for use as a means of conveyance;

“vehicle” means any vehicle whether mechanically propelled or otherwise;

heee... i like this

Thanks for the clarification Darryn. Btw just found the relevant Article. Did not know that under the Road Traffic Act that rider of bicycle on the road is supposed to give hand signals when turning/slowing down/stopping also. So fierce! [laugh]

Another interesting Article under the Road Traffic (Bicycle) Rules to share with those interested:

"Bicycle to be ridden on left side of road

8. Every bicycle shall be ridden close to the left hand edge of the roadway and in such a manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed."
  • Praise 5

(edited)

The driving instructor made the right decision to honk and warn them about upcoming L-plate cars.

If you don't like getting honked, get off the road.

edit: Didn't hear how he honked the first time, it was not nice on the instructors part as well.

On the cyclists part, they should just move aside hearing the first honks and seeing that they are L-plate cars.

Edited by Nicholas
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1