BBDC/Cyclist incident: 'Just overtake la! So easy!'

Eighttales

Great info. I was just thinking if a bicycle is define as a vehicle under local law. Would you be so kind as to provide a reference to the relevant Cap/Section/Article please? Do you know if then the bicycle would have the right to the road (under the law) as well?

Was just imagining driving behind an old man riding a bike and occupying 1 lane in a 1 or 2 way street in Singapore. [bigcry] Dun think can charge him for road hogging for going at 10-20kmh also...

Maybe some bros can enlighten us on this. [thumbsup]

From the road traffic act:

Exemption from tax on certain descriptions of vehicles

14. No tax shall be chargeable under this Act in respect of vehicles of the following descriptions:

(a)

fire engines;

(b)

vehicles used solely for the purpose of a fire-fighting service;

©

ambulances;

(d)

road rollers;

(e)

vehicles used exclusively on roads which are not repairable at the public expense;

(f)

vehicles used solely for industry, mining and agriculture and not intended to be used on any road repairable at the public expense;

(g)

invalid carriages; and

(h)

bicycles

↡ Advertisement

If you don't like getting honked, get off the road.

For road hogger on lane 1, i honk to get them move to lane 2.

If road hogger don't like getting honked, get off the road.

The driving instructor made the right decision to honk and warn them about upcoming L-plate cars.

If you don't like getting honked, get off the road.

That's how you honk to warn??? If so you should really be on the website you're promoting in your sig.

Thanks for the clarification Darryn. Btw just found the relevant Article. Did not know that under the Road Traffic Act that rider of bicycle on the road is supposed to give hand signals when turning/slowing down/stopping also. So fierce! [laugh]

Another interesting Article under the Road Traffic (Bicycle) Rules to share with those interested:

"Bicycle to be ridden on left side of road

8. Every bicycle shall be ridden close to the left hand edge of the roadway and in such a manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed."

You might have missed this:

(2) No bicycle shall be ridden on the right of any two other bicycles proceeding abreast in the same direction except when overtaking such other bicycles or on parts of roads or paths set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

• Praise 1

(edited)

That's how you honk to warn??? If so you should really be on the website you're promoting in your sig.

No, you're right, I didn't hear the way he honked the first time.

It was a 'f-off' type of honking.

Updated my original post.

Edited by Nicholas
  • Praise 1

When I was an L-plater, I was allowed to make lane changes and do pretty much anything (legal) I wanted. But that's because my instructor could see that I knew what I was doing right from the first practical lesson. It comes down to the instructor's judgement - if he's judged that the L-plater can't be trusted to make a safe lane change, he won't (or shouldn't) allow it. Yes, I guess the L-plater can follow behind the slow-moving cyclist for miles and miles. But that's hardly fair to the L-plater. There was a gracious solution here, and it rested in the hands of the cyclist. Too bad he chose to be a dick about it.

I really watched the video this time. I think the pink guy is overacting & dxxx head.

On the other hand, learner in Germany has to be able to drive on Autobahn. Our learner don't even learn how to switch lane. There is something wrong with the syllabus.

• Praise 1

For how long I don't know the training cars had secondary horn butons and even high beam button if I not wrong.

Most often than not, the sibei instructor will horn like have deathwish. Might as well put siren on the car so we can

all siam far far away

For road hogger on lane 1, i honk to get them move to lane 2.

If road hogger don't like getting honked, get off the road.

Yup, but it'll be nice to start with tapping and signalling right.

When I was an L-plater, I was allowed to make lane changes and do pretty much anything (legal) I wanted. But that's because my instructor could see that I knew what I was doing right from the first practical lesson. It comes down to the instructor's judgement - if he's judged that the L-plater can't be trusted to make a safe lane change, he won't (or shouldn't) allow it. Yes, I guess the L-plater can follow behind the slow-moving cyclist for miles and miles. But that's hardly fair to the L-plater. There was a gracious solution here, and it rested in the hands of the cyclist. Too bad he chose to be a dick about it.

Hang on... does this mean we can honk crazily at L platers (or any other slower moving vehicle for that matter) when we're driving if we can't safely overtake?

You might have missed this:

(2) No bicycle shall be ridden on the right of any two other bicycles proceeding abreast in the same direction except when overtaking such other bicycles or on parts of roads or paths set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

Thanks for highlighting, Elfenstar. In view that no 2 rules should be made to contradict each other, Article (8) may be better applied to have precedence as there was faster traffic on the road. Article (2) may be more of a prohibition of 3 bicycles riding abreast each other. Of course this is just my view (may not be correct), can be still subject to interpretation.

Also on the definition of bicycle as mentioned by Darryn may be better taken from Section (I) Interpretation. Seems like bicycle may be more defined as a "pedal" cycle under the same category as trishaw.

Not trying to point finger at the cyclist as I felt that the honking was quite excessive also. Just for discussion's sake. Cheers! [:)]

Hang on... does this mean we can honk crazily at L platers (or any other slower moving vehicle for that matter) when we're driving if we can't safely overtake?

The SSDC and BBDC cars have worrds written on the rear bumper. It reads 'Thank you for your Patience'..........such irony.......hahahaha
  • Praise 1

cyclists was lucky enough met a L plate...they supposely to meet those sand trucker along that road...sooner or later they willl be pinned under the tyre by than it's to late...

• Praise 1

Yes, I blame the slow guy in front simply because he had a choice to act in a safe "live and let live" fashion and CHOSE not to. I'm referring, of course, to the bloody-minded cyclist. We're taught repeatedly to be patient and give allowance to L-platers, and even P-platers. So where was the patience/allowance accorded by the cyclist in this case? He *could* have pulled up gradually to the side of the road and let the car pass, but noooo, he was exercising his right to the road. Well, in my book, that makes him a dick.

The only other choice the L-plater had was to crawl behind the cyclist for the entire duration of the lesson (unless the cyclist turned off somewhere). I'd say that's a massively wasted lesson, wouldn't you? In all likelihood, this was the ONLY choice the L-plater had, because the instructor would probably have forbidden him from even making an attempt at a lane change in those traffic conditions. The cyclist could have been magnanimous here, but CHOSE not to be.

At the end of the day, it's an L-plater!!! They are expected to be inept!! This seems to be a fact acknowledged by the entire Universe except seemingly, by cyclists like you and Mr. Pink.

We can be patient if it was genuine bobo-ness, as poor road skills would and should be expected in this case. However this has nothing to do with that. It is bad instruction, and impatience combined with bad road manners. This MUST be nipped in the bud ESPECIALLY because he/she is an L plater. If you don't learn to respect ALL road users when youre on your L's then when can/will you learn?

Thanks for highlighting, Elfenstar. In view that no 2 rules should be made to contradict each other, Article (8) may be better applied to have precedence as there was faster traffic on the road. Article (2) may be more of a prohibition of 3 bicycles riding abreast each other. Of course this is just my view (may not be correct), can be still subject to interpretation.

Also on the definition of bicycle as mentioned by Darryn may be better taken from Section (I) Interpretation. Seems like bicycle may be more defined as a "pedal" cycle under the same category as trishaw.

Not trying to point finger at the cyclist as I felt that the honking was quite excessive also. Just for discussion's sake. Cheers! [:)]

They are not. Basically everything added up means that cyclists can ride two abreast but they should keep as close to the edge as possible, the exception being single lane roads where they have to ride in a single file and no overtaking is allowed.

(edited)

cyclists was lucky enough met a L plate...they supposely to meet those sand trucker along that road...sooner or later they willl be pinned under the tyre by than it's to late...

It's usually not the people who drive for a living that I've ever needed to worry about. Taxi drivers are the exception. Their livelihood is far too important. Accidents due to say not paying attention etc are usually the problem with them. And this particular problem is not limited to trucks.

P.S. I actually quite like them. They're really nice to talk to when stopped at the lights.

Edited by Elfenstar

You can argue how your father mother interpret the law all you like... But only the law of physics is absolute...

When pinky plays jam brake with a big vehicle and becomes road kill, any law you can quote won't bring him back.

There's a world of difference between a qualified and presumably competent driver who CAN overtake but is just biding his time for the right moment to make a safe lane change and this situation where the unqualified driver has NO choice but to stick to that lane if the cyclist refuses to do the gracious thing and yield. In the former scenario, honking would be considered rude. In the latter it would be necessary, both to alert them of the presence of the L plater and to ask them to yield.

Now granted that the way in which the honking was executed might be considered impatient and rude. But this could well have been the instructor sounding the horn, in which case it makes the cyclists look even pettier for taking it out on the hapless learner driver.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1