Maid abuse: Couple face more charges

Jman888

Since the couple claim trial we can only wait for what they have to say and dispute the charge.

they probably listen to some ba gua aunties say, dun feed the maid too full and dun treat them too nice.

then they go for the extreme. 

they probably listen to some ba gua aunties say, dun feed the maid too full and dun treat them too nice.

then they go for the extreme. 

Can't say for sure. When ppl leave their homes to work in a new environment they may or may not be able to eat or sleep well. For those who have worked overseas for a while you will notice weight lost, maybe not in the extreme way like the maid but we do not know how different individuals adapt to their new work environment. For maids, most of them come from villages. It's a culture shock for them to come here to work. In most stories we have heard most employers have to teach them from scratch. So they face some kinda pressure meeting up to expectations that may lead to not eating and sleeping well. I doubt the maid know it herself.

Edited by Watwheels

Can't say for sure. When ppl leave their homes to work in a new environment they may or may not be able to eat or sleep well. For those who have worked overseas for a while you will notice weight lost, maybe not in the extreme way like the maid but we do not know how different individuals adapt to their new work environment. For maids, most of them come from villages. It's a culture shock for them to come here to work. In most stories we have heard most employers have to teach them from scratch. So they face some kinda pressure meeting up to expectations that may lead to not eating and sleeping well. I doubt the maid know it herself.

unless the couple can prove that they offer reasonable amount of food (nutrition) and the maid was not able to consume due to those reasons. If not then quite obvious she was almost starve to death.

It's normal to lose a little weight but I think this is way to extreme.

If you were the employer and you were not ill-treating her, wouldn't you send her to a doctor to see what is wrong?

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what kind of excuses the couple comes up with as a defence.

unless the couple can prove that they offer reasonable amount of food (nutrition) and the maid was not able to consume due to those reasons. If not then quite obvious she was almost starve to death.

If they have the confidence to claim trial they should have some form of evidence to support their dispute. We will just have to wait for the media's report.

hope both of then get maximum sentence  <_<

I was reading Asiaone report and notice something interesting according to the ex-domestic helper:

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/employers-accused-starving-maid-who-lost-20kg-15-months

1. She was given two meals a day, with each ration consisting of instant noodles and a slice of bread.
  2. She also had to ask for permission before drinking water.
  3. She claimed that she was made to sleep in a storeroom
  4. She claimed was istructed to sleep at odd hours of the day such as at 11am.

All of  the above are about I-said-vs-you-said.

AFAIK, 3 and 4 isn't uncommon practice, since "storeroom" is often also market as "maid's room" in many of local private properties...and some employer do allow their maids to rest during day time (aka "odd hours" ?)

There was a discussion about dual use of "storeroom" in HWZ

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/%5Bpoll%5Dok-let-maid-sleep-hdb-storeroom-4930561.html.

Edited by Wishcumstrue
  • Praise 2

Blarghhhhh. Brown rice. Tried that for 6 months. Couldn't take it.

Kids will not like brown rice usually 'cos of the "fibrery" content and they have to chew more to swallow too; Only when they grow to almost adults then they will slowly become "aware" of unpolished rice; same goes with whole meal breads (whole wheat versus white bread)

Edited by BanCoe

I was reading Asiaone report and notice something interesting according to the ex-domestic helper:

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/employers-accused-starving-maid-who-lost-20kg-15-months

1. She was given two meals a day, with each ration consisting of instant noodles and a slice of bread.
  2. She also had to ask for permission before drinking water.
  3. She claimed that she was made to sleep in a storeroom
  4. She claimed was istructed to sleep at odd hours of the day such as at 11am.

All of  the above are about I-said-vs-you-said.

AFAIK, 3 and 4 isn't uncommon practice, since "storeroom" is often also market as "maid's room" in many of local private properties...and some employer do allow their maids to rest during day time (aka "odd hours" ?)

There was a discussion about dual use of "storeroom" in HWZ

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/%5Bpoll%5Dok-let-maid-sleep-hdb-storeroom-4930561.html.

I agree with you that most of the evidence is just based on what 1 party says and that there is nothing wrong with having the maid sleep in the storeroom. Being made to sleep at 11am isn't odd but it will be odd if she is only allowed to sleep at that time and not allowed to sleep at night.

That being said, so far the only physical evidence being presented is her extreme weight loss which is unexplained (again, so far) if she were not being ill-treated.

Don't flame me. I do condemn the acts of the employer but what happened to the principle of innocent until proven guilty?

I think the trial is still ongoing and imagine if you were already convicted before the case is presented before court.

There have been cases where we all feel one side is wrong and after the trial, it was the opposite.

While we can discuss the case, perhaps we should refrain from shaming the accused. Once proven guilty, anything goes.

No relation to the accused or the maid but I learned of a case where the maid came to ane with burnt iron mark on the thigh. Maid said employer did it and it was documented. In court, it turned out the maid burned herself to frame the employer for money.

What I am trying to say is let the facts come out in court before we convict anyone in our opinions.

Peace.

My observation:

Quite strange that a Pinoy maid stayed on despite being 'starved' to extent of drastic weight loss. They aren't known to be socially isolated & none of her own kind helping her out to alerting the authorities earlier.

Netizens already condemned the employers based on their unphotogenic appearances.

No doubt they may be stingy (about sending the maid to shower in condo public toilet), food wise, there's no cause for doubt about their cruelty; just inadequate nutritionally.

I agree with you that most of the evidence is just based on what 1 party says and that there is nothing wrong with having the maid sleep in the storeroom. Being made to sleep at 11am isn't odd but it will be odd if she is only allowed to sleep at that time and not allowed to sleep at night.

That being said, so far the only physical evidence being presented is her extreme weight loss which is unexplained (again, so far) if she were not being ill-treated.

Agree on part about sleeping in storeroom. Condo apt are not that big & most of them are designed to be store cum maid's room. She lucky to have storeroom to sleep in. My friends in Hong Kong had their maids sleep in living room because of space constraint.

• Praise 2

Agree on part about sleeping in storeroom. Condo apt are not that big & most of them are designed to be store cum maid's room. She lucky to have storeroom to sleep in. My friends in Hong Kong had their maids sleep in living room because of space constraint.

All this is heng suay I guess. The last time my family had a maid, she was made to sleep in what we called the ironing room.

Actually it was a room that was the same size as the room that my brother and I were sharing - the reason why it was called the ironing room is because my mother used to do the ironing there.

Kids will not like brown rice usually 'cos of the "fibrery" content and they have to chew more to swallow too; Only when they grow to almost adults then they will slowly become "aware" of unpolished rice; same goes with whole meal breads (whole wheat versus white bread)

Then me ah? 

I'm well past 40 and don't like the stuff -  I only put up with it because FIL nagged like crap...

A good yam rice on the other hand is rather yummy

• Praise 1

Then me ah? 

I'm well past 40 and don't like the stuff -  I only put up with it because FIL nagged like crap...

A good yam rice on the other hand is rather yummy

that means you good SIL lah! listen to FIL [laugh] ; so listen to MIL too ??? [:p] 

• Praise 1

another monster employers   [sweatdrop]

I already shed some weight after falling sick and only eating porridge these few days... can't imagine they torturing another human being for so long ... sicko !

• Praise 2

My observation:

Quite strange that a Pinoy maid stayed on despite being 'starved' to extent of drastic weight loss. They aren't known to be socially isolated & none of her own kind helping her out to alerting the authorities earlier.

Netizens already condemned the employers based on their unphotogenic appearances.

No doubt they may be stingy (about sending the maid to shower in condo public toilet), food wise, there's no cause for doubt about their cruelty; just inadequate nutritionally.

This is very true. My mum's helper just arrived, within 24hrs, the following day, she made frens with another Pinoy maid at the same level.

• Praise 1

This is very true. My mum's helper just arrived, within 24hrs, the following day, she made frens with another Pinoy maid at the same level.

Sounds like your mum's latest recruit is veteran-like...

As the saying goes, you cannot teach an old dog new tricks...aka 老鸟

Be warned..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2