MAS and Car loan curb issues

L23

Can someone please explain to me - preferably in words of one syllable...

How can the "dwindling" performance of car sales be the fault of "affordability" when the COE is fully subscribed each bidding exercise and it is sitting at around $60k?

If the loan curbs were removed more cars would be sold? No right?

COE would be higher? Most probably!

So the FALL in TAX is now a concern when it comes to retail sales figures as a measure of economic health?

Doesn't that seem strange to you.

Now - I admit, I am not scholar, and perhaps I have it totally wrong - but something doesn't seem right here to me

Could be that it includes used car sales. If people can't afford to pay 50K for a 100K used car, the sales goes down.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Shows a lack of coordination between government departments.

MAS has in interest in boosting retail performance.

LTA has an interest in curbing car population.

Both departments' civil servants are measured by the respective KPIs, often at the cost of the others'.

Yes... This common in big organisations. KPIs of different sectors often run against each other. The higher management is clueless until they see -ve outcomes either way!!

The more I look at it, the more I think the retail nos. are affected by used car sales. New car nos. should be better with more luxury cars sold these days.

Edited by Karu
  • Praise 2

but wouldn't ''influx of COEs" in coming months lead to more car sales and hence a boost to retail numbers...?

Anyway, what's the source of this article/who's the author? Is all this much ado about nothing?

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Shows a lack of coordination between government departments.

MAS has an interest in boosting retail performance.

LTA has an interest in curbing car population.

Both departments' civil servants are measured by the respective KPIs, often at the cost of the others'.

LTA has an interest to curb car pop? :ph34r: I disagree... if they are really curbing pop, how could they have 'miscalculated' with 'overdose' of COEs in the market?

With so many suggestions from public about COE enhancement, they choose to re-class by bhp? I doubt about their dedication to curb car pop.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

great, now middle class like myself can change car liao.

my 8 year old getz is dying on me...

Bro, I also driving an 8.5yo getz. What ur considering for ur next ride?

Is the car loan curb to be aborted so soon? Tot recenty, govt just reinterated that property curbs will not be removed soon.

• Praise 1

does not bother me cos if i want one, i just buy, regardless of the curbs or not.

what bothers me is the bloody @#%@#% jams will get worse with those who think their mother father dog cat goldfish will need one EACH....

• Praise 2

(edited)

lta want coe $$

govt want tax $$

bank want interest profit $$

dealer/agent want biz $$

buyer want loan $$

everyone huat huat huat ah !!!

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

Cars are like drugs, very addictive. The demand will be strong no matter what curbs or kerbs. Raymond Lim is the one who get so many people addicted, many would beg, steal rob, borrow to finance their cars.

I see no possibilities of any loan curbs going to be removed.

KNNCCB!

I'm sorry if this is gonna offend people but I for one support the loan curbs. When the loan curb is lifted, car prices are gonna sky rocket as people can easily take a high loan and get cars with money they don't have. If anything, I feel that they should increase the amount of downpayment needed to get a car. The whole point is to control population not let any tom, dick and harry own a car. When car prices go up after loan curbs are lifted, I hope people don't complain and say they want the government to do something. If loan curbs are lifted, car dealers will become more cocky cos if he can't sell to you cos you find the price high, he'll sell to an idiot who thinks he can afford the installments but ends up getting it repossessed by the bank.

• Praise 10

KNNCCB! I'm sorry if this is gonna offend people but I for one support the loan curbs. When the loan curb is lifted, car prices are gonna sky rocket as people can easily take a high loan and get cars with money they don't have. If anything, I feel that they should increase the amount of downpayment needed to get a car. The whole point is to control population not let any tom, dick and harry own a car. When car prices go up after loan curbs are lifted, I hope people don't complain and say they want the government to do something. If loan curbs are lifted, car dealers will become more cocky cos if he can't sell to you cos you find the price high, he'll sell to an idiot who thinks he can afford the installments but ends up getting it repossessed by the bank.

I strongly suggest to pay in full for car purchase. Buy if one could afford, Very fair and square.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

The reduce of new car sale are due to low COE quota. What had this to do with loan curb.....

KNNCCB!I'm sorry if this is gonna offend people but I for one support the loan curbs. When the loan curb is lifted, car prices are gonna sky rocket as people can easily take a high loan and get cars with money they don't have. If anything, I feel that they should increase the amount of downpayment needed to get a car. The whole point is to control population not let any tom, dick and harry own a car. When car prices go up after loan curbs are lifted, I hope people don't complain and say they want the government to do something. If loan curbs are lifted, car dealers will become more cocky cos if he can't sell to you cos you find the price high, he'll sell to an idiot who thinks he can afford the installments but ends up getting it repossessed by the bank.

Do u know wat is happening on the grd actually? 2nd hand car dealers are utilizing loopholes and allowing ppl to buy cars with low dp and high mthly installments. Personally, I still insist that they really bother to enforce it rather than remove the curbs

Else, all this talk of enforced financial prudence is all bs.. Ppl who can't afford still can buy at even high prices.. This loan curb is totally contradictory in its purpose

• Praise 1

lta want coe $$

govt want tax $$

bank want interest profit $$

dealer/agent want biz $$

buyer want loan $$

everyone huat huat huat ah !!!

everyone huat except the poor buyer [smash]

buyer pays coe, tax, interest, agent fee and ... how to huat [thumbsdown]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I think they scared then when the deregistration glut hits, the loan curbs will mean that a lot of people still cannot afford new cars due to lack of cash, even if LTA exercises clawbacks of the coe quotas so try and smoothen out the supply cycle.

Basically they scared COE nosedive to $1 and their cashcow go into ICU.

Revenue is the top priority.

please dont picha people's lobang [laugh] [laugh]

I strongly suggest to pay in full for car purchase. Buy if one could afford, Very fair and square.

This is the mindset of the elite.

↡ Advertisement