MAS and Car loan curb issues

L23

(edited)

Didn't u guys notice that current tough loan work?

My sales manager simply couldn't afford to downpay 50% for a 2nd hand accord thus he stick with his 6 year old full loan vios

Some of my company young executives dream of getting a sirocco or swift sport but because of the curb they can only sux thumb

My circle of friends who feel that they don't need a car sold their and cash out some handsome $$$ with dealers and go public

I don't support relaxing the curb, I couldn't imagine over night my colleagues and friends rushing to showroom to purchase something not within their means

Edited by Dfx16
  • Praise 5

I don't mind, as long as we can also accept the opposition (or as I like to call them: "alternative gahmen") in power on a "try and see how it goes" basis. We should be encouraging this as well. Might save us millions in salary alone. :D

If opposition is capable of winning an election and becomes the government, they have all the right to "try and see how it goes". The government of the day will have the say. It would be interesting if that day comes whether the new PM will abort the million dollar salary structure immediately.

Supercharged

I don't mind, as long as we can also accept the opposition (or as I like to call them: "alternative gahmen") in power on a "try and see how it goes" basis. We should be encouraging this as well. Might save us millions in salary alone. :D

Hahaaa... I guess we all like more choices. I'm not on the mentality that opp are in the parliament for 'try and see'. I can see the potential difference they can make. But not for those 'empty vessels' opp, who gained popularity by stirring emotions with 'selective' speeches.

Supercharged

Didn't u guys notice that current tough loan work?

My sales manager simply couldn't afford to downpay 50% for a 2nd hand accord thus he stick with his 6 year old full loan vios

Some of my company young executives dream of getting a sirocco or swift sport but because of the curb they can only sux thumb

My circle of friends who feel that they don't need a car sold their and cash out some handsome $$$ with dealers and go public

I don't support relaxing the curb, I couldn't imagine over night my colleagues and friends rushing to showroom to purchase something not within their means

I agree, when my ride's time is up I would go public too because the improvement on public transport has started (finally).

Supersonic

If opposition is capable of winning an election and becomes the government, they have all the right to "try and see how it goes". The government of the day will have the say. It would be interesting if that day comes whether the new PM will abort the million dollar salary structure immediately.

If it was really a level playing field, I would agree with you, but I recognise that the incumbents have a track record of "playing dirty" (with the GRC boundaries, selective upgrading, etc. etc.) and invoking the bogeyman of regime change (with all sorts of imagined dire consequences - e.g. our women becoming maids in other countries - honestly!) any chance they get. Apart from fear of reprisals (real or imagined), that's been a major factor in cowing people who would otherwise be inclined to vote another way.

I feel that politicians are like diapers - they should be changed as often and for the same reason.

Anyway, I don't want this to devolve into a political-bickering thread, so I'll stop here.

Is the car loan curb to be aborted so soon? Tot recenty, govt just reinterated that property curbs will not be removed soon.

2 separate matters IMO. housing is bread and butter, owning a car is not.

• Praise 1

A reversal of their policy now would be really dumb. This should be less about making cars "affordable" (which they won't be for long as market forces would quickly drive up prices if people can now leverage more) or trying to artificially pad some dubious "retail figures" and more about encouraging financial prudence.

Put the last part in bold because I think it's very important,

Fully agree. The reasons for the loan curbs are still there. I see no reason for a policy reversal, barely a year after implementation.

If it was really a level playing field, I would agree with you, but I recognise that the incumbents have a track record of "playing dirty" (with the GRC boundaries, selective upgrading, etc. etc.) and invoking the bogeyman of regime change (with all sorts of imagined dire consequences - e.g. our women becoming maids in other countries - honestly!) any chance they get. Apart from fear of reprisals (real or imagined), that's been a major factor in cowing people who would otherwise be inclined to vote another way.

I feel that politicians are like diapers - they should be changed as often and for the same reason.

Anyway, I don't want this to devolve into a political-bickering thread, so I'll stop here.

My last post but I thought I would inject. Politic is never clean, politicians make use of whatever advantages (within their legal rights) they have to swing votes to them. Same in business, if I can kill someone's business or chances of winning a bid, I would, if not I would be the one get killed.

OT ended.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

My last post but I thought I would inject. Politic is never clean, politicians make use of whatever advantages (within their legal rights) they have to swing votes to them. Same in business, if I can kill someone's business or chances of winning a bid, I would, if not I would be the one get killed.

OT ended.

I have to respond to this: what I don't like is their hypocrisy in holding themselves up as paragons of incorruptibility and virtue (the whole "holier than thou" thing). Time they admitted (and we recognised) they are "mere" politicians, as dirty as any other common gutter-dwelling politico in any place.

With that, I'm done.

• Praise 5

Supercharged

This is really one country that have policy that change every now and then... so bloody confusing... anyhow implement policy .. find hole and patch it with another policy found another hole and patch again... wah lau eh...

• Praise 1

Supersonic

This is really one country that have policy that change every now and then... so bloody confusing... anyhow implement policy .. find hole and patch it with another policy found another hole and patch again... wah lau eh...

Becoming a bit like bolehland in the way they flip-flop, except much more costly for citizens. [lipsrsealed]

Hypersonic

Becoming a bit like bolehland in the way they flip-flop, except much more costly for citizens. [lipsrsealed]

No, No, No.........

We do not flip-flop......We.....only have policy shift !!!

• Praise 1

Supercharged

doing biz here really is so tough... need to change their system dont know how many times and the salesman need to update themselves also... and all these changes can make a biz goes burst within weeks... scary...

unique place with very well paid prata man.... [sly]

Supersonic

No, No, No.........

We do not flip-flop......We.....only have policy shift !!!

No, no, no.

We've gone from shifting to CVT. [:p]

Supersonic

That's why I was thinking maybe I should PQP 5yrs as mine ends early 2016. Say if I keep it for 3-4yrs to 2018-2019, or maybe 2020, I could be able to catch the last boat towards the end of mass coes.

But what if CVT starts juddering? :( sweat..

• Praise 1

BolehLand - everytime they can change policy (just to start with Immigration form filling) everytime keep on changing!!- sometime have to and sometimes don't have to ?? - Our Pappies learn from them too- suka suka can change policy .... but well they say to prevent the bubble from bursting..... but now a lot of Singaporeans are pumping money overseas to buy assets and this will also result in less demand for S$ and may affect our currency strength

5th Gear

Conspiracy theory:

More COE will be released in the coming months, COE prices going downtrend. Increase clawback will be too blatant and may incur wrath of populace. Not a wise move with election year in mind.

Removing loan curbs will keep COE prices up and car ownership easier, populace become happy. Our think tanks are not paid high salaries for nothing. [;)]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1