How to prevent my whole house from power trip

bellboy

Need some help here.

I have a water dispenser at home that sometimes short circuit and cause my entire house to power trip as the circuit breaker will "jump".

Is there a power socket that has a built in circuit-breaker that I can buy? So that I can connect my water dispenser to this power socket, and that this socket will cut off the power to my dispenser whenever short circuit without my house circuit breaker "jumping"?

Problem with my house circuit breaker "jumping" is that whole house no electricity, and that if I'm not at home, all food in my fridge will rot.

Please help. Thanks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Need some help here.

I have a water dispenser at home that sometimes short circuit and cause my entire house to power trip as the circuit breaker will "jump".

Is there a power socket that has a built in circuit-breaker that I can buy? So that I can connect my water dispenser to this power socket, and that this socket will cut off the power to my dispenser whenever short circuit without my house circuit breaker "jumping"?

Problem with my house circuit breaker "jumping" is that whole house no electricity, and that if I'm not at home, all food in my fridge will rot.

Please help. Thanks.

better get a qualified electrician to check..

if the water dispenser is always tripping your breaker, there is a electric leak from your water dispenser or your power socket is defective.

• Praise 4

Supercharged

Need some help here.

Please help. Thanks.

I think the problem lies with the water dispenser. You should bring it back to the vendor and have it checked.

Last time my steamer also keep tipping my home power, causing a blackout whenever I switch on the steamer. I send the steamer for repair, and came back to use it never trip anymore.

• Praise 3

Need some help here.

Please help. Thanks.

Hi TS,

You need to send the water dispenser back for a thoroughly check sound like its a earth leakage problem.

Rgds

Ace

• Praise 4

Supercharged
(edited)

better get a qualified electrician to check..

if the water dispenser is always tripping your breaker, there is a electric leak from your water dispenser or your power socket is defective.

To check if the power socket is defective, just plug in another appliance (eg, a fan or a radio) and see if the power trip again....if no trip, then confirm your dispenser is the culprit.

Edited by TVT

Turbocharged

if it trips like that, stop using the water dispenser. what kind of dispenser is that? those 5 gallon ones or those hot water flask type? nothing is worth the risk.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Try not to share too many appliances with a power outlet if that's what you do. A typical outlet is rated 13amp. You go over the limit and it will trip or cause a fire.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

ELCB (earth leakage circuit breaker) is to protect your home.

I believe the main fault is the water dispenser, maybe due to faulty cable / plug, etc.

Bring it back to service and if warranty over, probably go buy a new one.

If suspect is the particular SSO (single socket outlet), try to plug in other electrical appliances, if they work w/o tripping, then its not the SSO problem.

Turbocharged

I think TS knows it is the water dispenser that is the problem, but he has chosen to see if there is anything he can do to the socket (circuit breaker) so that the water dispenser won't cause whole house electricity to trip. So I think such is not the suggestion that TS is looking for.

• Praise 3

(edited)

Yes, there is. This --> K7813RCD 13A RCD Protection Adaptor

post-1137-0-77482000-1404474711.jpeg

To protect yourself in any situation where you use an appliance near water or in a damp area, use a portable RCD adaptor, which simply plugs into a wall socket before you plug in the appliance or extension cord. The RCD adaptor has a TEST and a RESET button to ensure safe operation. If your appliance stops functioning properly for any reason, it will automatically cut off the power, protecting you from electrical shock.

My shop stocks this. TS please PM me for details.

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 3

Supersonic

Fault is due to the water dispenser. Could be the wiring insulation breaking down or any extension strip it's connected to.

Need some help here.

Please help. Thanks.

First. If yr water dispenser keeps tripping u sud get it fixed cos its not safe to use.

Yr breaker (ELCB) sud only trip the circuit that is faulty not the whole house. U need to get an electrician to check yr ELCB.

They sell a portable breaker which u plug into the wall socket n the appliance(water dispenser) is plugged into this.

Just make sure the portable breaker is more sensitive than the house breaker so it wil trip b4 the house ELCB trips.

Dunno who did yr house wiring n ELCB but maybe not so qualified. How come HDB contractor check can approve? Or u never get HDB approval? [sweatdrop]

Fault is due to the water dispenser. Could be the wiring insulation breaking down or any extension strip it's connected to.

Maybe the heater element got leak n water is touching the wires n it shorts. [confused]

Either way its unsafe. It sud b repaired or thrown away.

Supersonic

Maybe the heater element got leak n water is touching the wires n it shorts. [confused]

Either way its unsafe. It sud b repaired or thrown away.

Yeap, water dispenser some times leak and could be shorting wires.

I found mine with a nylon tube burnt and crumbled bcuz it couldn't handle the hot water heat all the time and starts to leak.

Fortunately, the leak didn't dripped over exposed wires.

I replaced with silicone tube.

Yeap, water dispenser some times leak and could be shorting wires.

I found mine with a nylon tube burnt and crumbled bcuz it couldn't handle the hot water heat all the time and starts to leak.

Fortunately, the leak didn't dripped over exposed wires.

I replaced with silicone tube.

Ya anything involve electricity n water is dangerous. Any fault sud b professionally repaired asap. [nod]

Supersonic

Ya anything involve electricity n water is dangerous. Any fault sud b professionally repaired asap. [nod]

Nylon tube I removed from the hot water dispenser. It was burnt.

post-7854-0-11059500-1404484349.jpg

If I'm not wrong it's the water dispenser power adapter that is faulty. Get a replacement.

Most of the time such device works on a smaller voltage & current. What the adapter does is to "step down" the capacity. If any component in the circuit is faulty it will cause the power to trip.

↡ Advertisement