Singapore Super Rugby Team

Darryn

Turbocharged

Interesting News - But I really really hope Singapore doesn't get the nod ---

Prior to seeing this article, I was arguing elsewhere that any Singapore bid is "a joke"

New Zealand Rugby chairman Brent Impey confirmed this week that Singapore and Japan were the leading candidates to host the 18th Super Rugby franchise when the competition expands in 2016, after New Zealand sources had told ESPNScrum in May "within SANZAR the push for a Super Rugby team in Singapore is intensifying".

SNIP

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2014/rugby/story/232253.html#8p0fwohw2Ckxf2l6.99

Jones, a forthright thinker of all facets of rugby, said that "any smart organisation should see the value of promoting Japan as an expansion team in Super 18". He noted that a Singapore-based team would play in a spectacular new stadium but said that every player "would be an import" because "Japan recently beat Sri Lanka 132-10 and Singapore are ranked 10 spots lower than [sri Lanka] at No.58 in the world".

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2014/rugby/story/232253.html#8p0fwohw2Ckxf2l6.99

Calling @Turboflat4 I think you're a rugby fan right? What say you?

Prior to seeing this article, I was arguing elsewhere that any Singapore bid is "a joke"

SNIP

Jones, a forthright thinker of all facets of rugby, said that "any smart organisation should see the value of promoting Japan as an expansion team in Super 18". He noted that a Singapore-based team would play in a spectacular new stadium but said that every player "would be an import" because "Japan recently beat Sri Lanka 132-10 and Singapore are ranked 10 spots lower than [sri Lanka] at No.58 in the world".

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Resurrecting as there is another update...

From CNA...

Super Rugby organisers SANZAR have confirmed their competition is set to expand into Asia with Japan and Singapore vying for the licence to run a team in 2016.

And here are my thoughts on the matter (that I posted to Facebook)

I would dearly love to see this become a reality for Singapore - nothing would make me happier than to be able to watch my much loved Crusaders at the National Stadium kicking butt and taking names.

Sadly though, I think that Japan is a better option - in terms of excitement for the sport, spectator support and general interest. I am not sure yet if Singapore is ready for such a franchise - and fear that it would fall into boring tedium for lack of spectator and citizen involvement.

According to the MOE website - there are all of 18 schools in Singapore that offer Rugby as a CCA, most of them Primary Schools (there are over 400 schools in Singapore). The recent World Club Rugby 10s Championship drew a combined two day crowd that was just touching 20,000.

Having lived in Singapore for the last 14 years, I simply don't see the excitement for Rugby that would make this a viable option here - don't get me wrong - the facilities, organisation and infrastructure that Singapore can offer are fantastic. What I mean to say is that the grass-roots level of rugby simply isn't present. I remember back to the start of the "Super Rugby" (yes I'm that old) and the excitement in Christchurch that surrounded National Provincial Championship matches - the shield, taking the shield on the road and the overall support.

I remember playing rugby at school - in 2012 I went home for a holiday (in June) - driving out at the weekend we went past fields of kids playing Saturday Rugby. Canterbury alone has over 40 Rugby Clubs - SIngapore? Around a dozen - and they don't even have a comprehensive age grade competition. How can a Super Rugby franchise thrive in such an environment?

I've always been of the thought - "Build It And they Will Come" - using top level excitement to build grass roots involvement I think is a valid strategy - just witness the explosion of interest following the Table Tennis Gold Medal - or what happened to soccer in New Zealand 4 years ago when we were in the World Cup. However in this case I don't feel there is enough mass or interest to even get the ball rolling when it comes to rugby - I think there is a lot of grass-roots level to build first. If I had the opportunity, nothing would make me happier than working to bring the excitement of rugby to more people in Singapore.

When I look around at other sports franchises in Singapore - ostensibly for sports that have more of a popular following than Rugby, such as Basketball (SIngapore Slingers) and Soccer (Lions XII) - and I don't see the passion. I went to a Slingers Game last year - and the arena was basically empty - and a great proportion of those that were present seemed to be "non local" (i.e expats). Soccer enjoys better support - but when I compare what I see from the Lions XII to what I saw with Crusaders (pre Super Championship) there is simply no comparison in terms of passion - and this is basically a national team playing the national sport.

Resurrecting as there is another update...

From CNA...

And here are my thoughts on the matter (that I posted to Facebook)

I would dearly love to see this become a reality for Singapore - nothing would make me happier than to be able to watch my much loved Crusaders at the National Stadium kicking butt and taking names.

Sadly though, I think that Japan is a better option - in terms of excitement for the sport, spectator support and general interest. I am not sure yet if Singapore is ready for such a franchise - and fear that it would fall into boring tedium for lack of spectator and citizen involvement.

According to the MOE website - there are all of 18 schools in Singapore that offer Rugby as a CCA, most of them Primary Schools (there are over 400 schools in Singapore). The recent World Club Rugby 10s Championship drew a combined two day crowd that was just touching 20,000.

Having lived in Singapore for the last 14 years, I simply don't see the excitement for Rugby that would make this a viable option here - don't get me wrong - the facilities, organisation and infrastructure that Singapore can offer are fantastic. What I mean to say is that the grass-roots level of rugby simply isn't present. I remember back to the start of the "Super Rugby" (yes I'm that old) and the excitement in Christchurch that surrounded National Provincial Championship matches - the shield, taking the shield on the road and the overall support.

I remember playing rugby at school - in 2012 I went home for a holiday (in June) - driving out at the weekend we went past fields of kids playing Saturday Rugby. Canterbury alone has over 40 Rugby Clubs - SIngapore? Around a dozen - and they don't even have a comprehensive age grade competition. How can a Super Rugby franchise thrive in such an environment?

I've always been of the thought - "Build It And they Will Come" - using top level excitement to build grass roots involvement I think is a valid strategy - just witness the explosion of interest following the Table Tennis Gold Medal - or what happened to soccer in New Zealand 4 years ago when we were in the World Cup. However in this case I don't feel there is enough mass or interest to even get the ball rolling when it comes to rugby - I think there is a lot of grass-roots level to build first. If I had the opportunity, nothing would make me happier than working to bring the excitement of rugby to more people in Singapore.

When I look around at other sports franchises in Singapore - ostensibly for sports that have more of a popular following than Rugby, such as Basketball (SIngapore Slingers) and Soccer (Lions XII) - and I don't see the passion. I went to a Slingers Game last year - and the arena was basically empty - and a great proportion of those that were present seemed to be "non local" (i.e expats). Soccer enjoys better support - but when I compare what I see from the Lions XII to what I saw with Crusaders (pre Super Championship) there is simply no comparison in terms of passion - and this is basically a national team playing the national sport.

In my alma mater (Raffles), Rugby was a religion when it came to inter-school games. Pity not many other schools shared the same outlook, otherwise there would definitely be more interest in Rugby.

Turbocharged

With nowadays' generation of "strawberries" in schools, I think it'd be doubly hard to push rugby as a CCA.

In my schooldays I remember that field hockey also disappeared from CCA because of the potential injuries that could occur.

At the most there is "touch rugby" being introduced during PE lesson, but it's not really the same, right?

Turbocharged
At the most there is "touch rugby" being introduced during PE lesson, but it's not really the same, right?

skali some gays will accuse others of molesting them & start another pinkdot event lol

Rugby >> played by hooligans viewed by gentlemen

Football >> played by gentleman viewed by hooligans

Singapore no pai kia playing this game... cannot succeed.

Turbocharged

In my alma mater (Raffles), Rugby was a religion when it came to inter-school games. Pity not many other schools shared the same outlook, otherwise there would definitely be more interest in Rugby.

Anglo Chinese and St Andrews do!

I once caught the B div finals between RI and Greenridge Sec; Greenridge won. The RI players cried like spoilt brats. One even stomped his feet on the padang grass while crying his way towards the fans muayhahaha

To be more specific:

Rugby League>> played by hooligans viewed by hooligans

Rugby Union>> played by gentlemen viewed by gentlemen

Football>> played by poofters viewed by gamblers

Turbocharged

With nowadays' generation of "strawberries" in schools, I think it'd be doubly hard to push rugby as a CCA.

In my schooldays I remember that field hockey also disappeared from CCA because of the potential injuries that could occur.

For schools - it's not a bad introduction to the sport - you still learn the important skills of passing / running / postition

The way I heard it was

Rugby - a hooligans' game played by gentlemen

Soccery - a gentlemens' game played by hooligans.

On a sidetrack - I must say one thing I HATE about watching soccer is the disrespect shown towards the ref - in Rugby, "answering back" would get you "marched 10" - if you saw in Rugby, the "mass confrontation" like you see in soccer, you would see a whole bunch of red cards

Haha! Poofters! Haven't seen this word for a while

If you prefer - we can always use the term "Thorpedo"

(edited)

To be more specific:

Rugby League>> played by hooligans viewed by hooligans

Rugby Union>> played by gentlemen viewed by gentlemen

Football>> played by poofters viewed by gamblers

I've heard this one: "Rugby is a ruffian's game played by gentlemen, football is a gentleman's game played by ruffians". :D

Edited by Turboflat4

For schools - it's not a bad introduction to the sport - you still learn the important skills of passing / running / postition

The way I heard it was

Rugby - a hooligans' game played by gentlemen

Soccery - a gentlemens' game played by hooligans.

On a sidetrack - I must say one thing I HATE about watching soccer is the disrespect shown towards the ref - in Rugby, "answering back" would get you "marched 10" - if you saw in Rugby, the "mass confrontation" like you see in soccer, you would see a whole bunch of red cards

If you prefer - we can always use the term "Thorpedo"

There are a cpl of things footbal can learn from rugby, sin bin and video ref. And I agree, ref in rugby are more fear, then in football, too many prima donnas in football

SNIP

There is simply not enough public interest in rugby in Singapore. Most people can't even distinguish between the 2 codes. If there is a bid, surely at least 90% of the team will have to be made up of foreign players. Local players simply do not have the required skills, speed and physique to compete at Super Rugby level. I can't see any long term future of participating if there's no local players to stir public interest.

Maybe Hong Kong will be a better option.

↡ Advertisement