Bukit Timah to have first road with noise barriers

Darthrevan

ST_20140813_PSNOISE13_573868e.jpg

The Anak Bukit Flyover in Bukit Timah will be the first road in Singapore to get permanent noise barriers.
Construction of the barriers - measuring 6m in height and 225m in length - began yesterday and will be completed in October, bringing some relief to nearby residents who have complained about noise pollution.
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said yesterday that this is part of a trial to assess the effectiveness of such barriers in reducing traffic noise.
It will also finish installing similar structures along the West Coast Highway near Block 44, Telok Blangah Drive, by the middle of next year.
The new flyover being built along Braddell Road near Block 138, Bishan Street 12, will also get the barriers some time in 2016.
These three locations were selected based on their high traffic volumes and noise levels, explained the LTA yesterday.
The barriers will cost about $3.8 million in total, a spokesman added.
Jurong GRC MP Halimah Yacob had raised the issue of noise in the Anak Bukit Flyover's vicinity as early as 2012, when residents voiced concerns over the widening of the road - part of the recent expansion of the Pan-Island Expressway.
"As the carriageways will come closer to the adjacent (condominium) Sherwood Towers... I asked the LTA whether they could put up noise barriers," Madam Halimah told The Straits Times.
"I was really very glad when they accepted the idea... given our very compact environment where living spaces jostle side by side with busy roads, I would think that this would be a necessary feature to mitigate noise and provide a better living environment."
The barriers are made of a combination of transparent and absorptive panels. The latter are lined internally with rock wool, a material commonly used to absorb sound.
Sherwood Towers residents whom The Straits Time spoke to yesterday said noise had been a long-time problem, and that it often gets "quite noisy" at night.
Mr Liu San, a 49-year-old chef at a restaurant in Bukit Timah Plaza beside the condominium, has been living at Sherwood Towers for more than 20 years.
"If they really help to reduce the noise, that will be good," he said of the barriers. "I've seen similar sound walls in European countries."
Others said they were fed up waiting for a solution, while some were resigned to having to live with noise, even after the barriers come up.
Retiree Chan Heng Wah, 72, who has lived in the area for four years, said: "We are surrounded by traffic on all four sides. There is no way to block all the noise."
The LTA said it would monitor how well the barriers work before considering a "targeted islandwide implementation programme".
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Targeted islandwide implementation?

Wow finally LTA forking out their $$$

u sure or not? skali ERP gantry come up there. spend $1, collect $10.

• Praise 1

why not we suggest to LTA to come up with a ruling such that car owners have to cover their cars with rock wool? this way we can have peace no matter where the cars are, not only on the expressways!!

PS: i'm being sarcastic; pls dont flame me :ph34r:

Jurong GRC MP Halimah Yacob had raised the issue of noise in the Anak Bukit Flyover's vicinity as early as 2012, when residents voiced concerns over the widening of the road - part of the recent expansion of the Pan-Island Expressway.
"As the carriageways will come closer to the adjacent (condominium) Sherwood Towers... I asked the LTA whether they could put up noise barriers," Madam Halimah told The Straits Times.
"I was really very glad when they accepted the idea... given our very compact environment where living spaces jostle side by side with busy roads, I would think that this would be a necessary feature to mitigate noise and provide a better living environment."

Men living in Sherwood Towers better don't be too happy. If the barriers really works, it just mean they will hear the wives' nagging even more clearly.

• Praise 2

Bukit Timah. Rich elites comprains carry weight.

That area not necessary rich elites, but definitely above average - at least when I stayed there 16 years ago.

And 16 years ago, I did not hear any noise travelling that far from the Jln Anak Bukit Flyover to the HDB estate at Toh Yi.

Even at NP, my block was right in front of the expressway entrance, also not that noisy.

These people that complain either staying at Sherwood Towers or Binjai Park... right beside or below the flyover. Even if cover up flyover, the small rounds running around it also noisy lah...

By the way, these rock wool already at several places in Singapore mah... why still consider first time?

Edited by StefanK

u sure or not? skali ERP gantry come up there. spend $1, collect $10.

Soon we need road infrastructure unit trust! Its a money making opportunities :D

Upper le, sounds rich but not so

Targeted islandwide implementation?

Wow finally LTA forking out their $$$

the $$$ comes from the public funds ie. taxpayers monies from you & me

• Praise 1

alamak ... then who is going to hear the super duper tok kong milo tin exhaust sound?

Exactly

Yes but at least not sitting for nth what

problem, what are they going to taek back after helping ? [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement