This is the redesigned new-for-2015 KIA Sorento.

ren_yeo

Neutral Newbie

My current Stream is due later this year. After slowly looking around the past couple of months, I have more or less settled on the Sorento or the Odyssey.

I know it's not exactly an apple to apple comparison, and both are very different types of cars, but I'm sure there are others here who have been in a similar situation deciding between the two. Anyone care to share your experience and what made you decide on the Sorento? Thanks  [:)]

↡ Advertisement

My current Stream is due later this year. After slowly looking around the past couple of months, I have more or less settled on the Sorento or the Odyssey.

I know it's not exactly an apple to apple comparison, and both are very different types of cars, but I'm sure there are others here who have been in a similar situation deciding between the two. Anyone care to share your experience and what made you decide on the Sorento? Thanks  [:)]

Sorento and Odyssey were among my top 3 choices. grand tourer was another. to be frank, one of the reasons why I chose the sorento over the odyssey was because of its much higher omv. More value for money. 

for reference, my sorento's omv was more that 37k. (AWD SX). 

my friend bought a PI odyssey. around 29k.

PI's odysseys have higher OMVs.

if only the odyssey was much cheaper, I might have had a harder time deciding between the two. 

that said...my friend is enjoying his odyssey tremendously.   [laugh]

another consideration is your seat configuration. If you get the 7-seater odyssey, and you have 5 people, the 5th person need to go into the 3rd row. super mafan

fuel consumption...sorento diesel wins hands down.

drive...sorento wins too. go test drive both and you'll feel it.

ultimately, bring along the people who are going to sit in your car to have a look and when doing the test drive.

my fren chose the odyssey simply because his wife prefers it, and his kids love the sliding doors. I kid you not

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for your comments dsman.

If I go for the Odyssey, it will definitely be the 8-seater version, but KM's version cannot make it, so will have to go for PI, which is something I'm not quite comfortable with. For me, the main advantage of the Odyssey is really it's practicality compared to the Sorento. Bigger interior space (especially the third row seats), bigger storage space even with third row up, low platform, sliding doors.

OTOH, having driven an MPV for so many years, the Sorento will be a nice change, and yes I've tested both and the Sorento definitely drives better than the Odyssey.

Decisions, decisions...  :a-confused:

Edited by Vade

I go for the sorento for the following reasons ;

1.cheaper

2. Better n more solid handling

3. Very good noise insulation (very quiet)

4.10 yrs warranty

5. It's a suv/mpv

6. Looks compact but spacious

7. More sporty (with 19" rim)

Hello Vade,

Don't look at the badge, look the value proposition... Sorento is definitely more worth while than the Odyssey...

End of the Month Update -November

We have 28 Sorentos in our whatsapp group.

White pearl - 11

Sunset red - 7

Platinum graphite - 5

Imperial bronze - 3

Metal stream - 2

Silky silver - 0

Black pearl - 0

Diesel - 20

Petrol - 8

Awd - 3

If you are interested to join our whatsapp group, please pm kelvgoh or me.

Wow no black. Why?

Just realise the Sorento EX is being taken down from SGCarmart.

Was at the Motorshow and SE told me no more stock. I thought it was sold out due to selling at $140k at Motorshow.

Any bros here know what is the reason ?

Just realise the Sorento EX is being taken down from SGCarmart.

Was at the Motorshow and SE told me no more stock. I thought it was sold out due to selling at $140k at Motorshow.

Any bros here know what is the reason ?

I think it's because C&C have decided not to bring in the EX anymore.

When I was at the showroom 2 weeks ago, I was told that they only had 1 EX left.

Edited by gluggy

Neutral Newbie

I think it's because C&C have decided not to bring in the EX anymore.

When I was at the showroom 2 weeks ago, I was told that they only had 1 EX left.

Yes, that's what I was told as well. The SE I spoke to say most people go for the SX, so they decided not to bring the EX anymore.

Wow no black. Why?

That was back in November. Now we have 2 blacks in our sorento whatsapp group. I believe the number is even more on the road.

It's a matter of preference :)

Neutral Newbie

Since we're on the subject of colours, those who are driving the White Pearl, is it very difficult to maintain? For someone who washes the car maybe once at month (at most!), is it a good idea to go for White Pearl?

Since we're on the subject of colours, those who are driving the White Pearl, is it very difficult to maintain? For someone who washes the car maybe once at month (at most!), is it a good idea to go for White Pearl?

Wash once a month owners should always avoid white and black cars.

Unless you don't care about appearances.

If that is so, then any colours available just take it.

Silver and grey is the best. No wash, not noticeable too. [bounce2]

Hi all,

I'm intending to buy the sorento and was quoted 156500 best price non guaranteed Coe bid. In view Coe prices came down today, is this price good still?

How can I be added to the sorento whataps group too plz??

Hi all,

I'm intending to buy the sorento and was quoted 156500 best price non guaranteed Coe bid. In view Coe prices came down today, is this price good still?

How can I be added to the sorento whataps group too plz??

I believe you can negotiate to a much lower price after today's drop in coe. 

we now have 41 cars in our whatsapp group.

Did a check and realize there is no diesel variant in the used car market.

Diesel variant only came on 2013. in the past, diesel commanded a premium over the petrol.

there have been a few used ones on the market, but they were sold pretty quickly.

most of the diesel sorento were bought within the last 1.5 years, so still too early to see them on the market.