This is the redesigned new-for-2015 KIA Sorento.

ren_yeo

Sorento beats the LRD hands down.

Pay more for all these compromises for what? Plus, LRD not exactly a premium badge.

In Singapore Land Rover is premium lar... the price tag is way above the non-premium brands lar... but the quality control isn't not the same...
↡ Advertisement

In Singapore Land Rover is premium lar... the price tag is way above the non-premium brands lar... but the quality control isn't not the same...

That the AD prices it at a premium does not make it a premium brand.

There are so many factors that distort pricing (ie taxation quirks, OMV effects, CEVS/VES effects, AD margin etc) that consumers should do their own research on pricing globally to determine fair value for themselves.

For instance, the BMW X5 xdrive40e is priced around the same level as the Toyota Vellfire 2.5 in Malaysia (due to local assembly taxation effects and electric car incentives), while in Singapore the Vellfire 2.5 is S$170k vs BMW xdrive35 (a lower spec version of the Malaysian version) going for more than S$350k.

Hard to make the point that these are equivalent vehicles in Malaysia just because they are priced in the same ballpark.

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 1

That the AD prices it at a premium does not make it a premium brand.

There are so many factors that distort pricing (ie taxation quirks, OMV effects, CEVS/VES effects, AD margin etc) that consumers should do their own research on pricing globally to determine fair value for themselves.

For instance, the BMW X5 xdrive40e is priced around the same level as the Toyota Vellfire 2.5 in Malaysia (due to local assembly taxation effects and electric car incentives), while in Singapore the Vellfire 2.5 is S$170k vs BMW xdrive35 (a lower spec version of the Malaysian version) going for more than S$350k.

Hard to make the point that these are equivalent vehicles in Malaysia just because they are priced in the same ballpark.

Agree on most of above points, but Land Rover is indeed a premium brand (and marketed as such) in most markets that are not distorted by taxes, duties or manufacturing location etc. Driven and owned by royalties, VIPs and sportsmen/women....

Agree on most of above points, but Land Rover is indeed a premium brand (and marketed as such) in most markets that are not distorted by taxes, duties or manufacturing location etc. Driven and owned by royalties, VIPs and sportsmen/women....

Ok premium or not is subjective, so will leave that discussion for another time.

Let's talk about pricing, which is objective and more easily comparable.

Wearnes has brought in the SE AWD diesel version for the Discovery Sport, and prices it at c. $200k, or c. 33% higher than the Sorento SX.

In the UK, the Sorento KX-3 (closest equivalent to the SX) is priced at £38k, higher than the Discovery Sport SE at £34k.

In the US, the Sorento SX is priced at $38.8k, higher than the Discovery Sport SE at $37.9k.

There are slight differences across markets in specifications, but you get my point.

Car purchase is a very personal thing, and different people value different attributes very differently. But having pricing points across markets to take reference from makes fair value determination easier, for folks who care about this.

References:

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/compare-cars/145192,73725

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/land-rover/discovery-sport/2017/specs

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/kia/sorento/prices

Edited by Fungyee77

Ok premium or not is subjective, so will leave that discussion for another time.

Wearnes has brought in the SE AWD diesel version for the Discovery Sport, and prices it at c. $200k, or c. 33% higher than the Sorento SX.

In the UK, the Sorento KX-3 (closest equivalent to the SX) is priced at £38k, higher than the Discovery Sport SE at £34k.

In the US, the Sorento SX is priced at $38.8k, higher than the Discovery Sport SE at $37.9k.

There are slight differences across markets in specifications, but you get my point.

Car purchase is a very personal thing, and different people value different attributes very differently. But having pricing points across markets to take reference from makes fair value determination easier, for folks who care about this.

References:

The sticker price overseas for Kia is not what you actually pay... there are a lot of incentives for buying Kia/Hyundai and the price can drop by a few thousand dollars... also you have to compare similar trim levels... the base trims of the Kia usually has so many more features that once you load up the Land Rover, you're looking at a totally different and very premium price point...

So yes... Land Rover is still considered a luxury brand... a brand that's part of the British monarchy since the inception of the brand... Queen Elizabeth drives one... that's surely premium enough... she won't be caught driving a Vauxhall (even if it's still British-owned) would she?

• Praise 1

References:

The Discovery Sport is marketed as Compact SUV in most markets (UK and US included), while Sorento is marketed as Mid-size SUV. This explain why another forumer mentioned that the third row on Discovery Sport is pathetic.

Discovery Sport is the lowest-end Land Rover that you can buy, while Sorento is, in most markets, one of the highest-end Kia model that you can buy.

From marketing perspective, Land Rover is positioning the Discovery as the competing product to Sorento, not the Discovery Sport.

Therefore, it is not strange at all if Discovery Sport is priced lower or on-par with Sorento, on certain trims. I tend to believe that if equivalent options are put on the Discovery Sport to match Sorento features, the Discovery Sport will cost more than Sorento.

One more point, the SE trim is the 2nd lowest trim of LR in UK. While SX/KX-3 is not exactly low trim for Kia. Of course, how LR and Kia define low or high-end trim are subjective as well. They call the SE trim as the 'poverty pack' in Australia.

But that's the point.

The Discovery Sport (lower trim) is there as a 'within-reach' option for mass-market mid-size SUV buyers to make the 'leap' to a more premium brand, at the expense of one size lower, with lesser features maybe. That's why it cost $30K more in Singapore, where brand premium are worth more than practicality for people who can afford it.

• Praise 2

Folks, am not arguing that Kia is a better brand than Land Rover.

Am saying that pricing points in Singapore are a bit skewed towards brand recognition, and have to reference global price points to get a more balanced perspective.

That said, would be amusing to see the queen in a Kia...

Am saying that pricing points in Singapore are a bit skewed towards brand recognition, and have to reference global price points to get a more balanced perspective.

Yeah man... you never know right? Land Rover was almost bankrupt at one point..

Globally, Land Rover is recognized as a premium brand and every marketing bits are geared towards that brand image, including it's pricing strategy. Its buyers pay premium for the brand image over the same products from mass market competitors, there is no doubt about it.

No, I don't think we are confusing Land Rover with Range Rover. Land Rover is the brand name under Jaguar Land Rover Co.; Range Rover is a product name (a higher end product, by the way) under the Land Rover brand.

By the way, I own a Sorento too, and love everything about the car, but I still recognize a Land Rover as a premium product.

Sorry to interrupt folks.

I'm considering to get a Sorento before the VES kicks in.

Wish to know from the owners here about the actual running cost of this car. 

Apart from diesel is cheaper than petrol and road taxes is much higher.

How about the general servicing cost and insurance as compare to petrol ones?

Appreciate the owners here can give me some actual references.

Thanks.

• Praise 1

Sorry not to disparage anyone for any  or . BUT, in the UK, Land Rover is a brand with a wide spectrum of products like volkswagen, toyota/lexus. The premium Range Rovers models are the ones driven by royalty and celebs, the actually LRD is also a really nice luxury 7 seater model. However the LRD sport and other car models are very much in the mass segment. In the Singapore context, Wearnes charges an outrageous premium on most of its cars. If you are in the market for XC90, the the Q7 and LRD is in the same league. The LRD sport however isnt.

All said and done, its a personal choice to splurge an additional 20-40k for a car with less features, reliability and arguably quality than a Sorento just to drive a 'premium' badge. 

Sorry to interrupt folks.

I'm considering to get a Sorento before the VES kicks in.

Wish to know from the owners here about the actual running cost of this car.

Apart from diesel is cheaper than petrol and road taxes is much higher.

How about the general servicing cost and insurance as compare to petrol ones?

Appreciate the owners here can give me some actual references.

Thanks.

Speaking from my experience, insurance is the same, and C&C servicing cost package is c. $400-500 more per year (compared to petrol Sorento).

Speaking from my experience, insurance is the same, and C&C servicing cost package is c. $400-500 more per year (compared to petrol Sorento).

Fungyee, thanks for your input.

Another other things to take note? Diesel drive is something new to me. 

Edited by Mitlancer71

Fungyee, thanks for your input.

Another other things to take note? Diesel drive is something new to me. 

The car itself is almost perfect to drive, nothing much to take note, IMHO.

The combination of the diesel engine and the 6AT transmission in this car is perfect. Coming from a diesel + dual-clutch gearbox combination, I would say the drive of the Sorento is so much smoother.

Grab it while you can...

• Praise 1

Anyone changed the head unit to after market? The screen is kind of small for the diesel 2.2

Thanks

Are you a owner now or intend to get it ?

According to my SE the current batch are with the 7" screen HU.

Edited by Mitlancer71

Neutral Newbie

Are you a owner now or intend to get it ?

According to my SE the current batch are with the 7" screen HU.

Seriously considering getting it. I had thought it comes with the 4" screen.

The 7" screen comes with apple CarPlay? Leng Kee or Fulco better in terms of service and of cos better deal? :D

↡ Advertisement