MyCarForum Logo
Search
Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
106 replies to this topic | 270 praises

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

BabyBlade

I learnt how to pronounce Porsche the same way as Jeremy Clarkson did in Top Gear but that made me an Alien among my friends (Don't act angmoh/act atas la). As Porsche originated from Germany, the Germans pronounce it as Por-sha, British and Americans mainly Porsche as it is and local (Singaporeans) say Por-Shayyy.  [laugh] 

And I just realized I've been pronouncing Volkswagen wrongly my whole life.

"Volkswagen: We said earlier that Germans turn their 'w's into 'v's. Well, their 'v's also become 'f's. What the eff, right? So the biggest German carmaker is folks-va-gun, with that last syllable a clipped enunciation of "gun" (as in pistol). If you're keen to get a job with the new local distributor, get the name right: folks-va-gun."

Pagani Huayra - Jeremy Clarkson & co has stumbled over the Huayra many times and hates it.

According to Horatio Pagani himself, it's "why-air-ra".

Latio - For me it's La-Sio instead of La-Tio

Audi - It should be Ow-Dee, not Aw-Dee

Other commonly mispronounced names:

Peugeot 

Tuscani

Hyundai

Volkswagen Touareg

Nissan Qashqai

Renault

Citroën

Koenigsegg

I like my hair messy, my life high, and my soul wild.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Ahgong
  • Premium member
    Ahgong
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I learnt how to pronounce Porsche the same way as Jeremy Clarkson did in Top Gear but that made me an Alien among my friends (Don't act angmoh/act atas la). As Porsche originated from Germany, the Germans pronounce it as Por-sha, British and Americans mainly Porsche as it is and local (Singaporeans) say Por-Shayyy.  [laugh] 

"Volkswagen: We said earlier that Germans turn their 'w's into 'v's. Well, their 'v's also become 'f's. What the eff, right? So the biggest German carmaker is folks-va-gun, with that last syllable a clipped enunciation of "gun" (as in pistol). If you're keen to get a job with the new local distributor, get the name right: folks-va-gun."

Peugeot

Tuscani

Porsche

Latio

Hyundai

Volkswagen Touareg

Nissan Qashqai

Renault

Citroën

Koenigsegg

Pagani Huayra - Jeremy Clarkson & co has stumbled over the Huayra many times and hates it. 

how bout putting some pronunciations behind those names so that we know the correct way to read them?

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Don't say car names, a lot of ppl here struggle with day to day words.
Eg. Photographer
Wrong: photo-grapher
Correct: pha-tor-gra-pher
I agree. Friends would look at me like alien when I say it the correct way. I'm not perfect. I struggle with words like "calendar". LoL...

The 3 popular German car makers make life easy for everyone. Every car is name alpha numerically. No need to come up with fanciful names ppl can't pronounce.

Edited by Watwheels, 15 August 2014 - 06:05 PM.

The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

BabyBlade

Eg. Photographer
I agree. Friends would look at me like alien when I say it the correct way. I'm not perfect. I struggle with words like "calendar". LoL...

Yeap and then there's 'Colleague'. Most of my friends goes 'Ker-Lick'..

That said I usually do not order food I struggle to pronounce, like Italian and French cuisine - if not I'll just point at the menu.  [rolleyes]

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Airwaver
  • Premium member
    Airwaver
    4th Gear
    Author Image

BabyBlade and Vhtfhwlego praised this
Be nice to people on your way up, cos you'll meet them on your way down.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

Darthrevan
  • Premium member
    Darthrevan
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Eg. Photographer

exactly..there's no need to learn so difficult words when simple words like "tree".."flour".."milk".."children".."often".."interact" are more always mispronounce

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Tireburner
  • Tireburner
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Peogeot are known as "Pi_giot" locally

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Peugeot 

Tuscani

Hyundai

Volkswagen Touareg

Nissan Qashqai

Renault

Citroën

Koenigsegg

you small gal

say bluebird in hokkien...it was a car.  Think your grandparents dated in one.... :o  :o

shud be por jio

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

BabyBlade

Prior to three years ago, I have always assumed Peugeot was pronounced the same way as Pidgeot the Pokemon. Lol.

Pidgeot.gif

Holdenutessv praised this

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Prior to three years ago, I have always assumed Peugeot was pronounced the same way as Pidgeot the Pokemon. Lol.

attachicon.gifPidgeot.gif

idgeot...i mean the bird [lipsrsealed]

:D  :D  [inlove]

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Yeap and then there's 'Colleague'. Most of my friends goes 'Ker-Lick'..

That said I usually do not order food I struggle to pronounce, like Italian and French cuisine - if not I'll just point at the menu.  [rolleyes]

Same and got one time try to pronounce, then the guy like suddenly correct my pronunciation super malu haha,
2BDriver praised this
Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Peugeot 

Tuscani

Hyundai

Volkswagen Touareg

Nissan Qashqai

Renault

Citroën

Koenigsegg

You forgot the two biggest ones, Porsche and Ferrari.

But if you're driving one, the chick you pick up won't care if you call it a 'Porshey' or a 'Fallali'. :D

This place is not what it used to be. I'm glad for the friends I made here. But I'm moving on, just like Porker and some others I know. Cheers!

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

Celicar
  • Celicar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

But if you're driving one, the chick you pick up won't care if you call it a 'Porshey' or a 'Fallali'. :D

Huh?

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Do we need to pronounce like the native do? It seems alright for the ang mo pronouce nanyang as nan yen.
"You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with." - Jim Rohn

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

SGCMmadman
  • Premium member
    SGCMmadman
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Volvo become bobo

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

Darthrevan
  • Premium member
    Darthrevan
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Volvo become bobo

same as bubur cha cha..most pronounce as bobo chacha  :D

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

BabyBlade

how bout putting some pronunciations behind those names so that we know the correct way to read them?

To be honest I'm not exactly sure the most accurate pronunciation for some of them. Like Hyundai. Hee-yoon-Die, Hyun-Die or Hyun-Day?

Everyone's got a different pronunciation. Maybe someone who knows please enlighten us.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Daniellica
  • Premium member
    Daniellica
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Old anker: "Hello? Ler chit dao si chia pang huh? Wah ae chia ai wah orr yew, orr yew barng kah hong barng. Ae sai bo?"

Workshop taokay: "Ae sai... Wa simi chia poon wu zoh... Chia meng ler si simi chia huh?"

Old anker: "Aiya, lao chia lah. Lissan Lam Jiao."

Workshop anker: " knn! Mai chit zhar puey zhar kah limpeh meh chor way hor!"

:D
Ahgong, Nightkids and Myxilplix praised this

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

Aaronlkl
  • Premium member
    Aaronlkl
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Yes,  Its 'Por' 'tia', not Porshey [laugh]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche

Edited by Aaronlkl, 15 August 2014 - 09:51 PM.

2BDriver and Toothiewabbit praised this
"If in doubt, Flat out!"

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

Aaronlkl
  • Premium member
    Aaronlkl
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

To be honest I'm not exactly sure the most accurate pronunciation for some of them. Like Hyundai. Hee-yoon-Die, Hyun-Die or Hyun-Day?

Everyone's got a different pronunciation. Maybe someone who knows please enlighten us.

^ Pronunciations in English vary. Among the variants are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai

Edited by Aaronlkl, 15 August 2014 - 10:17 PM.

2BDriver praised this
"If in doubt, Flat out!"

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: car brands, pronounce and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users