Car Names Pronunciation

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

I learnt how to pronounce Porsche the same way as Jeremy Clarkson did in Top Gear but that made me an Alien among my friends (Don't act angmoh/act atas la). As Porsche originated from Germany, the Germans pronounce it as Por-sha, British and Americans mainly Porsche as it is and local (Singaporeans) say Por-Shayyy. [laugh]

And I just realized I've been pronouncing Volkswagen wrongly my whole life.

"Volkswagen: We said earlier that Germans turn their 'w's into 'v's. Well, their 'v's also become 'f's. What the eff, right? So the biggest German carmaker is folks-va-gun, with that last syllable a clipped enunciation of "gun" (as in pistol). If you're keen to get a job with the new local distributor, get the name right: folks-va-gun."

Pagani Huayra - Jeremy Clarkson & co has stumbled over the Huayra many times and hates it.

According to Horatio Pagani himself, it's "why-air-ra".

Latio - For me it's La-Sio instead of La-Tio

Audi - It should be Ow-Dee, not Aw-Dee

Other commonly mispronounced names:

Peugeot

Tuscani

Hyundai

Volkswagen Touareg

Nissan Qashqai

Renault

Citroën

Koenigsegg

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

I learnt how to pronounce Porsche the same way as Jeremy Clarkson did in Top Gear but that made me an Alien among my friends (Don't act angmoh/act atas la). As Porsche originated from Germany, the Germans pronounce it as Por-sha, British and Americans mainly Porsche as it is and local (Singaporeans) say Por-Shayyy. [laugh]

"Volkswagen: We said earlier that Germans turn their 'w's into 'v's. Well, their 'v's also become 'f's. What the eff, right? So the biggest German carmaker is folks-va-gun, with that last syllable a clipped enunciation of "gun" (as in pistol). If you're keen to get a job with the new local distributor, get the name right: folks-va-gun."

Peugeot

Tuscani

Porsche

Latio

Hyundai

Volkswagen Touareg

Nissan Qashqai

Renault

Citroën

Koenigsegg

Pagani Huayra - Jeremy Clarkson & co has stumbled over the Huayra many times and hates it.

how bout putting some pronunciations behind those names so that we know the correct way to read them?

Don't say car names, a lot of ppl here struggle with day to day words.

Eg. Photographer

Wrong: photo-grapher

Correct: pha-tor-gra-pher

I agree. Friends would look at me like alien when I say it the correct way. I'm not perfect. I struggle with words like "calendar". LoL...

The 3 popular German car makers make life easy for everyone. Every car is name alpha numerically. No need to come up with fanciful names ppl can't pronounce.

Edited by Watwheels

Internal Moderator

Eg. Photographer

I agree. Friends would look at me like alien when I say it the correct way. I'm not perfect. I struggle with words like "calendar". LoL...

Yeap and then there's 'Colleague'. Most of my friends goes 'Ker-Lick'..

That said I usually do not order food I struggle to pronounce, like Italian and French cuisine - if not I'll just point at the menu. [rolleyes]

Eg. Photographer

exactly..there's no need to learn so difficult words when simple words like "tree".."flour".."milk".."children".."often".."interact" are more always mispronounce

Peugeot

Tuscani

Hyundai

Volkswagen Touareg

Nissan Qashqai

Renault

Citroën

Koenigsegg

you small gal

say bluebird in hokkien...it was a car. Think your grandparents dated in one.... :o:o

Peogeot are known as "Pi_giot" locally

shud be por jio

Internal Moderator

Peogeot are known as "Pi_giot" locally

Prior to three years ago, I have always assumed Peugeot was pronounced the same way as Pidgeot the Pokemon. Lol.

post-107101-0-02222000-1408098854.gif

• Praise 1

Prior to three years ago, I have always assumed Peugeot was pronounced the same way as Pidgeot the Pokemon. Lol.

attachicon.gifPidgeot.gif

idgeot...i mean the bird [lipsrsealed]

:D:D[inlove]

Yeap and then there's 'Colleague'. Most of my friends goes 'Ker-Lick'..

That said I usually do not order food I struggle to pronounce, like Italian and French cuisine - if not I'll just point at the menu. [rolleyes]

Same and got one time try to pronounce, then the guy like suddenly correct my pronunciation super malu haha,

• Praise 1

Peugeot

Tuscani

Hyundai

Volkswagen Touareg

Nissan Qashqai

Renault

Citroën

Koenigsegg

You forgot the two biggest ones, Porsche and Ferrari.

But if you're driving one, the chick you pick up won't care if you call it a 'Porshey' or a 'Fallali'. :D

You forgot the two biggest ones, Porsche and Ferrari.

But if you're driving one, the chick you pick up won't care if you call it a 'Porshey' or a 'Fallali'. :D

Huh?

Internal Moderator

how bout putting some pronunciations behind those names so that we know the correct way to read them?

To be honest I'm not exactly sure the most accurate pronunciation for some of them. Like Hyundai. Hee-yoon-Die, Hyun-Die or Hyun-Day?

Everyone's got a different pronunciation. Maybe someone who knows please enlighten us.

Old anker: "Hello? Ler chit dao si chia pang huh? Wah ae chia ai wah orr yew, orr yew barng kah hong barng. Ae sai bo?"

Workshop taokay: "Ae sai... Wa simi chia poon wu zoh... Chia meng ler si simi chia huh?"

Old anker: "Aiya, lao chia lah. Lissan Lam Jiao."

Workshop anker: " knn! Mai chit zhar puey zhar kah limpeh meh chor way hor!"

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3