Tyres Gurus, can help me?l

Lsflsf

Hi i am now driving a lancer ex gt 2.0. Find it very bumpy and uncomfortable on the road especially with so much uneven road nowadays.

Current tires - Firestone TZ700

Profile - 225/45/18

Brought on Jan 2014

At first thought its the absorber, so i changed to all 4 original Mitsubishi ones i brought from ming ghee then went for a balancing + camber nut replacement at AESOP but still bumpy as siao

Thinking of changing the tires again to increase comfort but in order to get profile walls of 50 and above i will have to downgrade to 17 inch rims (which is good since my 18 is quite worn look)

Looking at perfect comfort with occasional harsh driving

After reading through i have come to 2 possible tyres that i am considering

Bridgestone GR100 and Pirelli CINTURATO P7

So here comes the question

If the stock tyres dimension of Lancer EX GT is 215/45/18 then which is the size below that i can actually changed to that is safe?

Included below is the calculated speed difference and available size of the tires with the comfort rating (more is better) according to the calculator.

215/50R17 (Speed Difference -0.6km/hr) (Estimated Comfort Rating 5.7)
225/50R17 (Speed Difference 0.9km/hr) (Estimated Comfort Rating 6.4)
215/55R17 (Speed Difference 2.7km/hr) (Estimated Comfort Rating 7.4)
225/55R17 (Speed Difference 4.4km/hr) (Estimated Comfort Rating 8.2)
Also is there any 17 inch rims that can actually clear AP Racing Big 4 BBK CP5200?
TY all for your input. Much appreciated.
↡ Advertisement

base on tyrepac

215/50/17

215/45/18

base on the 2 choices, take the p7c, bridgestone $ premium is very much higher

no idea abt the bbk, but its like putting westlake on a 535i or roadstone on a 328i, u jam brake u definitely skid

Your harsh ride is becoz of the bigger rims. If I'm not wrong The stock rims should be 16". And you got to clear that BBK.

Actually you should take reference from your stock 16" and upsize from there. When you upsized to 18" there might already be increase in overall wheel diameter.

base on tyrepac

215/50/17

215/45/18

base on the 2 choices, take the p7c, bridgestone $ premium is very much higher

no idea abt the bbk, but its like putting westlake on a 535i or roadstone on a 328i, u jam brake u definitely skid

the bbk is already on my current 18 inch setup. Will p7c be as comfort as GR100?

Your harsh ride is becoz of the bigger rims. If I'm not wrong The stock rims should be 16". And you got to clear that BBK.

Actually you should take reference from your stock 16" and upsize from there. When you upsized to 18" there might already be increase in overall wheel diameter.

Mine is 2.0, stock rims is 18 inch. Ex 1.5 is 16 inchs,

check tyre pressure, normal psi should be around 210...if higher sure confirm bumpy..

this crappy tires is different

Comfort level

210 - 2/10 extremely bumpy

220 - 3/10 bumpy

230 - 6/10 can feel road bumps

240 - 3/10 very bouncy

• Praise 1

stick to the recommended tyre size for your 18 inch

p7c comfort level is quite good, grip should better than gr100

take note bridgestone tyres are usually very heavy, pirelli/mich/conti usually lightest

stick to the recommended tyre size for your 18 inch

p7c comfort level is quite good, grip should better than gr100

take note bridgestone tyres are usually very heavy, pirelli/mich/conti usually lightest

you mean dont downgrade to 17 inch to take a 50 / 55 profile walls for increased comfort?

you mean dont downgrade to 17 inch to take a 50 / 55 profile walls for increased comfort?

find the lightest tyre with soft sidewall for ur stock 225/45/18 size

u can compare the weight on tirerack

usual suspects = csc5/p7c/ps3

these are the 3 lightest

• Praise 1

If stock size is 225/45R18 and not avaliable, which of these two sizes match the most? 235/45R18 or 235/40R18?

Thanks.

NOT sure how big is your BBK :D

if you wanna solve your ride comfort , change to 17" and for the BBK best you look around and ask the shop to test for you physically (100% clear) here no 1 can give you 100% answer

and go for 215/50/17 (best) / 225/50/17 I wont recommend (is not necessary more comfort than 215/50/17

tyre wise go for Michelin pilot PS3 if you need performance

otherwise bs gr100 (shorter tyre life) or the new ecopia ep200 [thumbsup]

for me my choice is ps3 [nod]

if stick to 18" I think bs gr100 or p7 both as good

• Praise 1

Wrong.. Lancer EX GT comes with 18" rims standard.

Hmm I am on 245/35/19 but I feel ok.

My previous car I try to change from 205/50/16 to 205/55/16. The comfort level was superb.

A good 17 inch rim will clear most BBK. Remember to check the offset.

215/55/17 will be what I recommend highly for superb comfort.

225/50/17 is a balance of comfort and grip. I drove a rx8 hard with this set of tyres before.

Edited by Zippaboy
  • Praise 1

Wheel width is 18x8.

My car is F30 335. Scare if put 17in wheel gap too big, ugly. Anyway, i got a set of 17x8 with AD08 235/45R17.

Edited by Free2d

Wheel width is 18x8.

My car is F30 335. Scare if put 17in wheel gap too big, ugly. Anyway, i got a set of 17x8 with AD08 235/45R17.

AD08 is track tyres right?

F30 I think 18 would fit nicely. try PSS tyres.. costly.. but worth it.. I'm on my 2nd set now..

AD08 is track tyres right?

F30 I think 18 would fit nicely. try PSS tyres.. costly.. but worth it.. I'm on my 2nd set now..

17x8 with AD08 is from my previous E90 325 and for daily drive. I know some on you will say it was crazy or under utilized. I dont drive fast. But I like to take corner and brake late.

I saw new Accord on 235/45R18 PS3 and looks ok. Probably will go with this.

PSS is only available from 19" and up in my area. I can order but prefer more common spec/model in case future need to replace due to puncture/botak easier.

↡ Advertisement