Steering fluid need to drain and flush?

Zippaboy

Only hear people say top up the fluid..

Brake fluid and ATF, differential oil, coolant , engine, even aircon you hear of people flushing the system.

↡ Advertisement

It's supposedly red in colour. If it turns black it's time to flush & replaced. This will become a thing of the past soon as new cars are electric assisted steering. No steering fluid or any fluid in the system.

Over time when the hydraulic fluid become oxidized or moisture is present in the system it becomes less effective. The properties of water is different from the hydraulic fluid. Or else engineers can just use water why use hydraulic fluid?

Becoz the fluid's properties have changed it will also put a strain on the system and the pump. Same goes for the brake fluid.

3-4years do a flush to these 2 systems is good enough. It's not costly or require any big effort.

• Praise 2

What will happen if dont change?

Nothing will happen!

I have never changed (just top up when needed only) steering fluid (which is same as transmission fluid) or engine coolant in more than 20 yrs of car ownership. In fact most manufacturers would not want you to touch the transmission fluid at all.

Brake fluid - good to flush once every few years.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

In a new car chances are the Power Steering fluid

is made of mineral oil. So its a good idea to drain and flush

at 20k km and fill with fully synthetic fluid.

And this should be good for another 100k before needing to change again.

:D

• Praise 7

Supercharged

What will happen if dont change?

Nothing will happen.

My last car clocked 270,000km / 7.5 years, never change, no top up as the oil level didn't drop at all, no leak nothing.

It is a close hydraulic system with no external contamination, hydraulic fluid is not hygroscopic like brake fluid. don't disturb it unless it is leaking.

Anyway, If it made the car owner feel good and secure after changing the fluid, it probably worth the money spent.

Only hear people say top up the fluid..

Brake fluid and ATF, differential oil, coolant , engine, even aircon you hear of people flushing the system.

OK most cars PS fluid is also ATF so it does wear out after time.

When it loses its lubricating ability n additives r gone it wil cause more wear to your PS pump n also steering rack. The rubber seals wil harden n leak which wil need costly repairs.

I flush n replace my PS fluid after abt 4-5 years(abt 70K km). U can do it every 2-3 yeqars if u wan.

I put 1 bottle(abt 1 lit ) of PS fluid with stop leak cos it has stronger additives to protect the PS system. I then top-up with ATF as recommended in the handbook.

If u loaded, then u can use PS fluid for a 100% filling.

While top-up, turn yr steering (engine on) full lock left then right a few times to bleed out all the air from the system. [scholar]

• Praise 2

OK most cars PS fluid is also ATF so it does wear out after time.

When it loses its lubricating ability n additives r gone it wil cause more wear to your PS pump n also steering rack. The rubber seals wil harden n leak which wil need costly repairs.

I flush n replace my PS fluid after abt 4-5 years(abt 70K km). U can do it every 2-3 yeqars if u wan.

I put 1 bottle(abt 1 lit ) of PS fluid with stop leak cos it has stronger additives to protect the PS system. I then top-up with ATF as recommended in the handbook.

If u loaded, then u can use PS fluid for a 100% filling.

While top-up, turn yr steering (engine on) full lock left then right a few times to bleed out all the air from the system. [scholar]

great info !!!!

i see my steering fluid, it is no longer ATF-red.

abit brownish already after 4 years. should be time....

↡ Advertisement