Another pedestrian jaywalk, driver tio penalise case...

Tigershark1976

Im wondering how to make our Gov wake up their mind. Its not the 1st time I came across such news, in fact, such case happened to 1 of my close buddy at AMK.

It obvious case that its the pedestrian fault and why driver tio charge until so jialat? Is Gov trying to encourage the pedestrian to be more careless as they are protected by law no matter what?

I undestand that the jaywalker already deceased and I shouldnt rubbing salt on others wound but I really pity the driver... he is the actual innocent fellow here.

I hope government could be more fair when handling such cases. Dont give people the wrong impresssion and continue to try their luck on the road.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fine-driving-ban-for/1330614.html

SINGAPORE: A 77-year-old retiree was fined S$7,000 and banned from driving for five years on Tuesday (Aug 26) for causing the death of a pedestrian through his negligence.

Willie Chan York Jen pleaded guilty to causing the death of 75-year-old Mr Mohamed Ibrahim Yusoff while driving along Lorong 2 Toa Payoh at the cross junction of Lorong 6 Toa Payoh on Dec 21 last year.

At about 5.45pm that day, Chan was driving along Lorong 2 Toa Payoh and heading towards the Pan Island Expressway (PIE) on his way home after playing badminton with friends. He stopped at a red light while travelling on the four-lane road at Lorong 2 Toa Payoh. When the traffic light turned green in his favour, he proceeded to drive straight across the cross junction.

He did not see Mr Ibrahim, who began crossing the road when the red-man traffic signal was displayed. Chan failed to keep a proper lookout and Mr Ibrahim was hit by the front right corner of his car.

Mr Ibrahim sustained head injuries, and was bleeding from the mouth and became short of breath. He fell unconscious and was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital, where he died later that night.

Chan could have been jailed up to two years and/or fined for causing death through a negligent act.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I hope government could be more fair when handling such cases. Dont give people the wrong impresssion and continue to try their luck on the road.

Especially those play handphone and jaywalk! Don't know what happen to some of those idiot's brains..

Sometimes jaywalking isn't all that bad, but when jaywalk, must know that the roads are for cars. Either walk faster or run across when it's safe (not that I'm advocating jaywalking). Sidewalk = for pedestrian, road = vehicles.. I think should remove penalty for those who bang jaywalkers.. Then become FFA on road, and jaywalkers will scared..

Im wondering how to make our Gov wake up their mind. Its not the 1st time I came across such news, in fact, such case happened to 1 of my close buddy at AMK.

It obvious case that its the pedestrian fault and why driver tio charge until so jialat? Is Gov trying to encourage the pedestrian to be more careless as they are protected by law no matter what?

I undestand that the jaywalker already deceased and I shouldnt rubbing salt on others wound but I really pity the driver... he is the actual innocent fellow here.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fine-driving-ban-for/1330614.html

SINGAPORE: A 77-year-old retiree was fined S$7,000 and banned from driving for five years on Tuesday (Aug 26) for causing the death of a pedestrian through his negligence.

Willie Chan York Jen pleaded guilty to causing the death of 75-year-old Mr Mohamed Ibrahim Yusoff while driving along Lorong 2 Toa Payoh at the cross junction of Lorong 6 Toa Payoh on Dec 21 last year.

At about 5.45pm that day, Chan was driving along Lorong 2 Toa Payoh and heading towards the Pan Island Expressway (PIE) on his way home after playing badminton with friends. He stopped at a red light while travelling on the four-lane road at Lorong 2 Toa Payoh. When the traffic light turned green in his favour, he proceeded to drive straight across the cross junction.

He did not see Mr Ibrahim, who began crossing the road when the red-man traffic signal was displayed. Chan failed to keep a proper lookout and Mr Ibrahim was hit by the front right corner of his car.

Mr Ibrahim sustained head injuries, and was bleeding from the mouth and became short of breath. He fell unconscious and was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital, where he died later that night.

Chan could have been jailed up to two years and/or fined for causing death through a negligent act.

See highlight in red. almost every single charge sheet for accidents will definitely have this statement included.

No way to escape.

• Praise 1

See highlight in red. almost every single charge sheet for accidents will definitely have this statement included.

No way to escape.

How come defendant nvr ask the judge what would he do in similar circumstances?

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

the law will take into consideration that drivers is operation a "killing machine" and the responsibility lays more on the driver......... sad but true......

Seriously, i find sillypore road getting more and more dangerous. With cyclist who hack care the traffic rules(driver suffer)pedestrian jaywalking and dilly dally taking own sweet time to cross road, young and dangerous driver always trying to be F1 drivers...must buy higher insurance to protect ourself.

Frankly speaking, our government should set the age limit to driver lower, say about 60 yrs old max to drive cos their judgement and driving skills will be much poorer when older.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

When you are driving, its your responsibility to watch out for pedestrians/any obstacles on the roads. Even if they are there illegally. This is emphasized many times in driving school as well. Even if the light is in your favour, still must proceed cautiously and look out for pedestrians.

• Praise 4

They have to do it, they have to recoup the cost for court proceedings, administrative costs, etc. They cannot be raiding the reserves.

How else can they do it apart from penalising the party still alive?

• Praise 1

From what I know the judge tends to give the advantage to the pedestrian in any sort of traffic accident.

Anyway both in their 70s. It's a matter of sooner. The driver sway lah. Probably his line of sight is blocked by the A-pillar. I also encounter an old man in his 70s who cross the road at the pedestrian when the red man is displayed. He fxxk care and cross like he fxxking own the road. This happen at Depot road. I think his vision and hearing are gone but still.... I also dun bother to horn or wind down the window to show my displeasure. Call me evil but somebody else will do him in. I made sure the coast is clear before I drive off. Nowadays green light doesn't mean sh!t, the pedstrian fxxk care it's in your favour. I encounter many times and many times are elderly ppl. They try all kinds of pattern, try to out run my car (I so want to wind down the window to cheer them on to move a little faster), pretend I & my car are not there, cross the road like he/she owns it.

I forgive them becoz they are elders... after much swearing & cursing of course. I hate to say this but still I would say it, of course not all elderly ppl are like this. Good riddance.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Some time, i don't sympathize these drivers because drivers nowadays drive with their balls/boobs.

Speed up to traffic light junction & brake.

Full throttle on turning right junction when light turns green.

Hog lane 1 of expressway.

The more kuku users we have on the road, the more we have to be careful. Don't hesitate to use brake.

I ever horned a PRC cyclist cycling across pedestrian crossing on RED MAN. I hold my horn until he stops in the middle crossing (in front of traffic light).

Use horn extensively since our traffic is worse than 3rd world.

Pedestrians make mistakes....We don't...They survive

Pedestrians make mistakes.... We don't anticipate... They die.

Crucially.. We don't die.. Always assume the guy is xiao one..

The guilt of killing someone is more painful than 7k ah... drive safe everyone

Supercharged

I agree... "A" pillar blocking our view is something a pedestrian or non-driver will understand.

Their first thot is 'windscreen so big, driver must b blind not to c me'.

• Praise 2

Especially those play handphone and jaywalk! Don't know what happen to some of those idiot's brains..

Sometimes jaywalking isn't all that bad, but when jaywalk, must know that the roads are for cars. Either walk faster or run across when it's safe (not that I'm advocating jaywalking). Sidewalk = for pedestrian, road = vehicles.. I think should remove penalty for those who bang jaywalkers.. Then become FFA on road, and jaywalkers will scared..

You haven't encounter those pedestrian jaywalk when your car is so near to them. The traffic rules in Singapore make the pedestrian the king of road. Got time I'll post those video from my car cam in youtube or submit to sgreckless.

These are the facts which could have deemed the driver negligent:

a) When the traffic light turned green ...

b) ... hit by the front right corner of his car (meaning the pedestrian was half way across his vehicle and therefore the driver should have seen the pedestrian)

Just mpov.

You haven't encounter those pedestrian jaywalk when your car is so near to them. The traffic rules in Singapore make the pedestrian the king of road. Got time I'll post those video from my car cam in youtube or submit to sgreckless.

Got.. Sometimes, I'm those pedestrian, but only on small road and I know traffic light is red for long time, the cars all stop.. No excuse for myself.. But those jaywalk, must ownself look out.. Kena bang, is own fault..

• Praise 1

From what I know the judge tends to give the advantage to the pedestrian in any sort of traffic accident.

Anyway both in their 70s. It's a matter of sooner. The driver sway lah. Probably his line of sight is blocked by the A-pillar. I also encounter an old man in his 70s who cross the road at the pedestrian when the red man is displayed. He fxxk care and cross like he fxxking own the road. This happen at Depot road. I think his vision and hearing are gone but still.... I also dun bother to horn or wind down the window to show my displeasure. Call me evil but somebody else will do him in. I made sure the coast is clear before I drive off. Nowadays green light doesn't mean sh!t, the pedstrian fxxk care it's in your favour. I encounter many times and many times are elderly ppl. They try all kinds of pattern, try to out run my car (I so want to wind down the window to cheer them on to move a little faster), pretend I & my car are not there, cross the road like he/she owns it.

I forgive them becoz they are elders... after much swearing & cursing of course. I hate to say this but still I would say it, of course not all elderly ppl are like this. Good riddance.

Yeah, like what you said, green light doesn't mean sh!t....feels sooo good saying aloud!!! [laugh]

But seriously, its not just old folks. Came across this young fella who saw I was approaching near and yet chose to dash across infront of me and bore the defiant look, short of challenging me to knock him down [shakehead]

• Praise 3