Car still drifts to left after alignment

Prodiguy02

Dear forumners,

Recently I have just changed my 4 tyres. After changing, I realized that the car will drift slightly to the left in a short moment. Previously it wasn't like that, I could go straight for as long as I wanted without even literally touching the steering wheel. A week later I went to do a wheel alignment and the person gave me a paper saying "L -0.41 , R -1.12". After alignment, the car was still drifting to the left without much improvement.

I asked the mechanic what was the problem, and he showed me that the front left tyre is nearer to the door than the front right tyre.

May I know what causes this, and what can I ask the next mechanic to check on?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

↡ Advertisement

Dear forumners,

Recently I have just changed my 4 tyres. After changing, I realized that the car will drift slightly to the left in a short moment. Previously it wasn't like that, I could go straight for as long as I wanted without even literally touching the steering wheel. A week later I went to do a wheel alignment and the person gave me a paper saying "L -0.41 , R -1.12". After alignment, the car was still drifting to the left without much improvement.

I asked the mechanic what was the problem, and he showed me that the front left tyre is nearer to the door than the front right tyre.

from what u say, assume every thing else is good, drive shaft no problem, shock absorber ok, tyre pressure ok, tyre left right np.

and wat the mech mention front left tyre is nearer to the door then right side tyre,

that is the caster , if u did a 3d alignment, the report will show, if indeed the mech is not smoking u , and caster is out, by wat he say, car will 100% pull left..

but franky speaking caster is very hard to go out, unless accident eg, i would suggest u go to any work shop troubleshoot, ask the mech to swap your tyre left to right for front and rear, and test,

the labour for that quite cheap, rather u 1 shot jump into a big operation, kenna carrot.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Liddat confirm the driver left bola heavier than the right one.

Got any issues when marching during NS?

Jk. Don't angry.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

During wheel alignment, was the tyre taken out and re-installed, or rotated? Was tyre pressure checked to ensure all uniform?

Wheel alignment is done without removing the tyres . Light reflectors are attached to each wheel and adjustments made at the undercarriage. Costs $50 to $80 depending on vehicle type and which shop u visit.

Rotation is when you swap front and back and usually will carry out balancing as well ; usually $20 .

Turbocharged

After alignment, the car was still drifting to the left without much improvement.

Most of our roads are gradient to one side ; usually right to left . This is to allow rainwater to flow to roadside drain. Hence when u let go of the steering, it may drift to the left.

Try testing it on a road that slopes right to left. Roads with drains at the central divider will slope in this manner . If it drifts gently to the right , then you are OK.

If it drifts left no matter which way the road slopes , you have an alignment problem.

Wheel alignment is done without removing the tyres . Light reflectors are attached to each wheel and adjustments made at the undercarriage. Costs $50 to $80 depending on vehicle type and which shop u visit.

Rotation is when you swap front and back and usually will carry out balancing as well ; usually $20 .

Aiya, I'm not asking for these info.

I'm only checking with TS if during his alignment, was those few things done or not.

If assuming his problem starts after installation of tyres, and after alignment, problem still not fixed, then it may have been the tyre installation, or the tyre itself, that causes the problem, right?

Ehh.. let me try to reply to all your questions.

I changed to Toyo Proxes Sports 17". I don't know how they do it as I left my car there while I went to get treatment at a sinseh's.

Kingkong, I also dunno why it's nearer to door leh. The guy used his fingers to measure the spacing between the front tyres and the edge of my sideskirts. I also dunno what he trying to prove. He mentioned things, something like arms might have prob etc.

Tyre pressure should be ok cos I pumped air about 2 times and checked before pumping. Quite consistent.

I wasn't involved in any accidents at all. This problem appeared once I changed into new tyres. Previous 2 times that I changed tyres, the car can really go very straight without me touching the steering, on any roads in SG and JB.

Now I have to constantly hold it, if not it will become Tamiya car on the race track.

The drifting is too obvious. If going at 70km/h, within 5 seconds I'll be going from 1st lane to 2nd lane fully.

Bro Beregond, can I ask you if you know any place that can do 3D alignment in JB, with a reasonable price? Thanks in advance!

Eh Sabian my marching ok one lol... Did a lot of marching my whole life (not hentak kaki hor.)

• Praise 1

Aiya, I'm not asking for these info.

I'm only checking with TS if during his alignment, was those few things done or not.

If assuming his problem starts after installation of tyres, and after alignment, problem still not fixed, then it may have been the tyre installation, or the tyre itself, that causes the problem, right?

actually it could be the opposite, 1 good example is ts car, maybe it already have exsisting problem, that cause it to drift left, ' damage shock absorber on 1 side? ' for example.

but the old tyres or old alignment done on the car, offset the pulling to the right, so the car become going straight, so once the alignment is ajust back to normal, and 4 new tyres without any 1 side wear is install.

the old problem come out at once.

mech confrim can give u any story or theory they want to make u change your parts, dun be too fast to jump to concludion,

the favourite pharse from workshop is change bababa , try see how ( try mean u pay to try, cannot work pay to try some more)

if really dun have a trusted workshop to trouble shoot, might have to visit a few place to see wat they say .

Supercharged

I changed to Toyo Proxes Sports 17". I don't know how they do it as I left my car there while I went to get treatment at a sinseh's.

Kingkong, I also dunno why it's nearer to door leh. The guy used his fingers to measure the spacing between the front tyres and the edge of my sideskirts. I also dunno what he trying to prove. He mentioned things, something like arms might have prob etc.

Tyre pressure should be ok cos I pumped air about 2 times and checked before pumping. Quite consistent.

I wasn't involved in any accidents at all. This problem appeared once I changed into new tyres. Previous 2 times that I changed tyres, the car can really go very straight without me touching the steering, on any roads in SG and JB.

Now I have to constantly hold it, if not it will become Tamiya car on the race track.

The drifting is too obvious. If going at 70km/h, within 5 seconds I'll be going from 1st lane to 2nd lane fully.

Bro Beregond, can I ask you if you know any place that can do 3D alignment in JB, with a reasonable price? Thanks in advance!

Eh Sabian my marching ok one lol... Did a lot of marching my whole life (not hentak kaki hor.)

same problem with me lah.

went to two different workshops, they also did alignment and also cannot get it to be straight.

i gave up trying to align them liow.

the second workshop i went to says that Toyo tires have this characteristic to pull to one side a little, especially at higher speeds.

which model are you on? the R series?

i am using the T1R.

• Praise 1

Dear forumners,

also check your suspension at the same time, previously my friend was suspension problem.

maybe something there is loose or broken, get it check soon~~

my advice , dun think too chim stuff, go swap your tyre left to right, and test, dun think new tyre, confirm go straight, i personally kenna new tyre cannot go straight, fresh out from shop, on the spot left and right swap, problem solve.

your tyre is directional, properly the shop will tell u , cannot swap, but nvm, tell them u want to confirm the problem only.

if after swap the car go straight, dun need think any more, problem lies with tyres,

if after swap, totally no different, u pay a small amount to elimate 1 factor, that is the tyres nothing wrong.

then u procees to trouble shoot other stuff,

alignment , very hard to help, cos like many bro say, many shop out there got good machine , but poor mech to do the work,

if u go to any shop to do , ask them print out the report for u , showing the caster, camber toes reading.

with that 3 reading, much more easy to anazy the problem.

• Praise 1

I had similar experience when changing to different brand of tyres.

I tried alignment but cannot resolve.

The alignment place told me some brands of tyres are like that.

Beregond,

Ehh! How will a damaged shock absorber affect the alignment?

Ahgong,

Hmm.. my one pull to one side no matter what speed. The steering wheel like very inclined to be facing 11 o'clock.

Ya I think mine is R series. Having discount now.. 4 for about 600 plus.

Beregond,

Ehh! How will a damaged shock absorber affect the alignment?

Ahgong,

Hmm.. my one pull to one side no matter what speed. The steering wheel like very inclined to be facing 11 o'clock.

Ya I think mine is R series. Having discount now.. 4 for about 600 plus.

it dun effect the alignment, it make the car pull to 1 side, lets say a car have this problem, no matter how u ajust alignment also no point.

no only shock absorber, the car drive shaft or steering rack also will cause the car to pull left.

but these are complicate issue, which should not just come out.

( i not saying your shock got problem, just an example.)

like many bro mention, it could just be the tyres, and u crack your head, over your car :)

Liddat confirm the driver left bola heavier than the right one.

Got any issues when marching during NS?

Jk. Don't angry.

TS said no problem when marching.

I tot wan ask him whether his left shoe sole wear off faster than his right shoe sole [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1