Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost

Pocus

torque more important or power more important..

if the user frequent highway trip up north, should get more power or more torque?

i usually prefer torque over horse power......

even if you go nsh quite often, you have to think what is your car's peak cruising speed and whether you drive above this peak. it is often after this that the car feels breathless ie HP not high enough.

but if this speed is say 120km/h and you seldom drive above 120km/h then even the horse power doesn't matter that much.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

The 123ps model has 200nm of torque which is more, that puts it the same as the vw tsi range without the dsg problem. I guess many are put off by the price.

100ps it may be but I believe the 170nm make it a ride with smooth pickup to urban speed, sound very driveable. Cannot compare with the draggy NA engines.

But about modding I'm not sure how sensitive ecoboost engines are, maybe not be able to do stage 1 mod like most other tc engines.

Actually I find it funny why locals shunned the Ford brand, it's so popular in Europe.

Need to check with Ford SE thou. I believe their clutch is also similar to VW, on dry clutch system?

• Praise 2

Need to check with Ford SE thou. I believe their clutch is also similar to VW, on dry clutch system?

Nope. 6 speed dual wet clutch. Different tech. Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 2

torque more important or power more important..

if the user frequent highway trip up north, should get more power or more torque?

hp is derived from gearing and torque, so end of day, more torque = more hp

for NSH, no replacement for displacement

• Praise 3

Introduction

The Ford fiesta has been the cheaper alternative from Ford, the "no-frills" car that sought to compete in the compact hatch segment that was ever so popular in European markets. It was fairly popular in Europe and I was lucky enough to rent a Fiesta for my road trips in UK few years back. At 1.4l the Fiesta was rather underpowered for UK highways but and I really love the ease and comfort level of the car. My experience with the Fiesta is a nevertheless a pleasant one.

But how did the Fiesta fair in Singapore? Unfortunately it didn't fair as good as it's European counterparts in terms of sales. The 1.4l Fiesta is a rarity in Singapore due to the high COE and it's brand factor.

However, Ford recently introduced the new facelift of the Fiesta complete with a new 1.0 Ecoboost engine. Rated at 100ps and 170nm of torque, it's perhaps one of the most powerful smallest engine available in Singapore.

How does the 1.0 Eco boot fair with a small chassis? My curiosity brought me to the showroom to inspect the car in detail.

First look (exterior)
The car was obviously using the same chassis from the previous Fiesta, which is a shared platform with the Mazda 2. But the similarity stops there.

The looks of the car still the same sleekly look like the previous model, complete with the same lines and side-profile, however, the front grille/bumper of the new Fiesta has a trendy large chrome grille that resembles an compact Aston Martin, complete with a newly angled set of headlights with DRL, gave the Fiesta a refreshing look. I still like the older sleekly look but the current design looks more updated, sporty and young.

The local trim comes with 15" rims which looked mediocre at best, but if you willing to upsized it aftermarket rims, it can give the Fiesta a more sporty look. But that would defeat the purpose of the whole 1.0 Ecoboost power plant. And nope, there are currently no options for body kits or other trims.

First look (interior)
The interior of the Fiesta is fairly decent. While the dashboard is slightly resign from the older model, the local trim looks pretty good with it's gloss black plastic trim and the buttons are fairly user-friendly. The dashboard dials are quite sporty but I find the Gearshift status a bit too small and it takes sometime to get used to.

The compartments of the fiesta is not really much, with around 2 to 3 shelf compartments. The center console of with the gearshift is fair compact and cluttered but at least it comes with the new essentials of the modern car eg: USB port.

The front fabric seats are quite body hugging and look to hold you firmly in a spirited drive. The rear leg room was surprisingly roomy too with ISO-FIX mounts. The boot of the car is quite big too. Perhaps bigger than some of it's competitors like the swift. My complain about the Fiesta is the headroom. Due to the low chassis design be prepare to hit our head to the roof if you are taller than 175cm. Second is the lack of roof handles, which they replaced with hooks instead.

The drive
The Fiesta is a quiet shy car, the initial moving off was rather mellow at first but once the dual clutch fully engaged, the car move off in a smooth yet eager acceleration, give off that subtle growl that you will never expect from a 1.0l engine. It was surprising fun and a nice driving experience. Although it's a 1.0 turbo, the Fiesta drives like a 1.5 car with a pickup of a 1.8 engine. It was that smooth and easy.

I tried whacking the car full throttle and I swear the gauge hit 100km/h at least 1 second faster than the mentioned 10.8 sec in the paper specs. The steering was remarkably precise and seems to get heavier as you speed up. It was well weight to give that confidence in control.

I tried to take it in the corners but the test route doesn't allow much. I did do a harsh turn at the junction but was throw off the lane due to under steering. I don't blame the car actually cos I suspect the tires are still new and haven't run-in. Secondly I didn't manual downshift the car to gain traction and was letting the auto gear do it's work so basically I didn't get the correct gears when I turn in. But from that experience, I say the car handled the situation pretty well and I don't feel much body roll.

The Fiesta do come with a manual shift controls, but it was controlled from 1 pair of +/- buttons at the gearshift. This takes away that fun experience of shift gears and you need time to get used to the buttons if you really want to play manual style.

If the Fiesta has a weakness I'd say it's the brakes, it felt inconsistent, like the braking feel is not linear. Perhaps this is due to the front-Disc rear-drum configuration but I'm not sure. for 170nm of torque they should have added rear discs too.

Conclusion.
The Fiesta was definitely a good drive and a neat overall package. It's got a neat style, nice interior and a very competent engine and blows it's competitors of the same class.

At 1.0l Turbo, it's fuel economy should be the best in it's class to. However, the problem with the Fiesta at the moment is the pricing. at 118k, people are looking at other cars that are bigger, more practical and have fair competent engines too. This pricing put it the same as the Swift Sport, which is more sporty and just as much, if not more, fun. The SE I spoke to mention that more discount could ne given if we are interested though.

Ford was never a mainstream brand in Singapore where buyers prefer the reliability of Japanese cars or the cost value of Korean cars. It doesn't command the prestige like other European brands. The only selling models from Ford are the previous generation Focus, where COE are still in affordable range, and the Ford Mondeo pre Eco-boost days. If the Fiesta is price at the right price, it actually could win some fans.

- practical interior
- Solid chassis and door
- The power, drive and handling
- small yet powerful engine with high FC (by spec)
- large boot for it's class
- reverse camera and built-in GPS.
- made in Germany
- tonnes of safety technologies and 5 airbags

Dislikes:
- Priced not competitive enough compared to others
- 100ps only in SG (due to pricing)
- lack of exterior trims and other freebies
- impractical and complex manual shift buttons take away the fun

• Praise 10

Introduction

The Ford fiesta has been the cheaper alternative from Ford, the "no-frills" car that sought to compete in the compact hatch segment that was ever so popular in European markets. It was fairly popular in Europe and I was lucky enough to rent a Fiesta for my road trips in UK few years back. At 1.4l the Fiesta was rather underpowered for UK highways but and I really love the ease and comfort level of the car. My experience with the Fiesta is a nevertheless a pleasant one.

But how did the Fiesta fair in Singapore? Unfortunately it didn't fair as good as it's European counterparts in terms of sales. The 1.4l Fiesta is a rarity in Singapore due to the high COE and it's brand factor.

However, Ford recently introduced the new facelift of the Fiesta complete with a new 1.0 Ecoboost engine. Rated at 100ps and 170nm of torque, it's perhaps one of the most powerful smallest engine available in Singapore.

How does the 1.0 Eco boot fair with a small chassis? My curiosity brought me to the showroom to inspect the car in detail.

First look (exterior)

The car was obviously using the same chassis from the previous Fiesta, which is a shared platform with the Mazda 2. But the similarity stops there.

The looks of the car still the same sleekly look like the previous model, complete with the same lines and side-profile, however, the front grille/bumper of the new Fiesta has a trendy large chrome grille that resembles an compact Aston Martin, complete with a newly angled set of headlights with DRL, gave the Fiesta a refreshing look. I still like the older sleekly look but the current design looks more updated, sporty and young.

The local trim comes with 15" rims which looked mediocre at best, but if you willing to upsized it aftermarket rims, it can give the Fiesta a more sporty look. But that would defeat the purpose of the whole 1.0 Ecoboost power plant. And nope, there are currently no options for body kits or other trims.

First look (interior)

The interior of the Fiesta is fairly decent. While the dashboard is slightly resign from the older model, the local trim looks pretty good with it's gloss black plastic trim and the buttons are fairly user-friendly. The dashboard dials are quite sporty but I find the Gearshift status a bit too small and it takes sometime to get used to.

The compartments of the fiesta is not really much, with around 2 to 3 shelf compartments. The center console of with the gearshift is fair compact and cluttered but at least it comes with the new essentials of the modern car eg: USB port.

The front fabric seats are quite body hugging and look to hold you firmly in a spirited drive. The rear leg room was surprisingly roomy too with ISO-FIX mounts. The boot of the car is quite big too. Perhaps bigger than some of it's competitors like the swift. My complain about the Fiesta is the headroom. Due to the low chassis design be prepare to hit our head to the roof if you are taller than 175cm. Second is the lack of roof handles, which they replaced with hooks instead.

The drive

The Fiesta is a quiet shy car, the initial moving off was rather mellow at first but once the dual clutch fully engaged, the car move off in a smooth yet eager acceleration, give off that subtle growl that you will never expect from a 1.0l engine. It was surprising fun and a nice driving experience. Although it's a 1.0 turbo, the Fiesta drives like a 1.5 car with a pickup of a 1.8 engine. It was that smooth and easy.

I tried whacking the car full throttle and I swear the gauge hit 100km/h at least 1 second faster than the mentioned 10.8 sec in the paper specs. The steering was remarkably precise and seems to get heavier as you speed up. It was well weight to give that confidence in control.

I tried to take it in the corners but the test route doesn't allow much. I did do a harsh turn at the junction but was throw off the lane due to under steering. I don't blame the car actually cos I suspect the tires are still new and haven't run-in. Secondly I didn't manual downshift the car to gain traction and was letting the auto gear do it's work so basically I didn't get the correct gears when I turn in. But from that experience, I say the car handled the situation pretty well and I don't feel much body roll.

The Fiesta do come with a manual shift controls, but it was controlled from 1 pair of +/- buttons at the gearshift. This takes away that fun experience of shift gears and you need time to get used to the buttons if you really want to play manual style.

If the Fiesta has a weakness I'd say it's the brakes, it felt inconsistent, like the braking feel is not linear. Perhaps this is due to the front-Disc rear-drum configuration but I'm not sure. for 170nm of torque they should have added rear discs too.

Conclusion.

The Fiesta was definitely a good drive and a neat overall package. It's got a neat style, nice interior and a very competent engine and blows it's competitors of the same class.

At 1.0l Turbo, it's fuel economy should be the best in it's class to. However, the problem with the Fiesta at the moment is the pricing. at 118k, people are looking at other cars that are bigger, more practical and have fair competent engines too. This pricing put it the same as the Swift Sport, which is more sporty and just as much, if not more, fun. The SE I spoke to mention that more discount could ne given if we are interested though.

Ford was never a mainstream brand in Singapore where buyers prefer the reliability of Japanese cars or the cost value of Korean cars. It doesn't command the prestige like other European brands. The only selling models from Ford are the previous generation Focus, where COE are still in affordable range, and the Ford Mondeo pre Eco-boost days. If the Fiesta is price at the right price, it actually could win some fans.

- Stylish exterior

- practical interior

- Solid chassis and door

- made in Germany

Dislikes:

Very good review. Your review is better than any of the local car mag [thumbsup][thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Introduction

First look (exterior)

First look (interior)

The drive

Conclusion.

- Stylish exterior

- practical interior

- Solid chassis and door

- made in Germany

Dislikes:

Thks for the very comprehensive write-up, well written indeed!

You mentioned due to price reason 100hp was brought in. Shouldn't be very far away right? Any idea of the OMV, CEVS?

Your comment on high FC means good fuel consumption right?

Thks for the feedback and answers!

• Praise 3

Very good review. Your review is better than any of the local car mag [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Thanks bro, with all the commotion and hot topics this 2 days, no one hardly takes note of my FR...lol

Anyway it's not my review is good, my English so so only. It's because I don't have dealers and sponsors to please that's why I can write in a truthful and honest matter without the need to suck up to anyone.

That's said, I really enjoyed the car.. too bad the price though...

Edited by Pocus

Thks for the very comprehensive write-up, well written indeed!

You mentioned due to price reason 100hp was brought in. Shouldn't be very far away right? Any idea of the OMV, CEVS?

Your comment on high FC means good fuel consumption right?

Thks for the feedback and answers!

SE told me to expect around 17 to 18km/l in sg roads instead of 20km/l on paper, which is what I guessed. It's very good fc liao.

SE mention if 123ps model is bought it the omv will be in conflict with the focus range so that's why they din bring it. He mention our local fiesta is from Germany while malaysian fiesta is produced locally.

Omv for fiesta iirc is 17 or 18k. Cevs I din ask. Might want to confirm with se if you interested.

SE told me to expect around 17 to 18km/l in sg roads instead of 20km/l on paper, which is what I guessed. It's very good fc liao.

SE mention if 123ps model is bought it the omv will be in conflict with the focus range so that's why they din bring it. He mention our local fiesta is from Germany while malaysian fiesta is produced locally.

Omv for fiesta iirc is 17 or 18k. Cevs I din ask. Might want to confirm with se if you interested.

Thank you sir!

FC indeed sounds good.

OMV is around Altis/Mazda 3 range so can understand why they selling this price then but fully agree with you that if they price lower/margin lower, they should get volume but I guess AD have their own strategy but I too find it pricey.

• Praise 5

Thanks bro, with all the commotion this 2 days, no one hardly takes not of my FR...lol

Anyway it's not my review is good, my English so so only. It's because I don't have dealers and sponsors to please that's why I can write in a truthful and honest matter without the need to suck up to anyone.

That's said, I really enjoyed the car.. too bad the price though...

As mention in my earlier post, I had driven the C-Max with the same engine in Germany.

This engine is really a small gem, it rev so freely to red line and always remain very smooth. Especially my rental car is a 6spd manual.

This engine definitely suit our local city traffic. It's a pity that the AD price the Fiesta so high.

Do you know what is the OMV for this the new Fiesta?

• Praise 1

Thank you sir!

FC indeed sounds good.

OMV is around Altis/Mazda 3 range so can understand why they selling this price then but fully agree with you that if they price lower/margin lower, they should get volume but I guess AD have their own strategy but I too find it pricey.

In Sillypore, Ford is always a 2nd class brand even compare to those MIT Toyota or Honda.

The only way to push the car sale is to reduce the profit margin and set the car price much lower.

Just look at how Weaners is pricing their XF 2.2D, they almost had no profit margin on the sale price in order to gain market share against the 3 big German.

In Sillypore, Ford is always a 2nd class brand even compare to those MIT Toyota or Honda.

The only way to push the car sale is to reduce the profit margin and set the car price much lower.

Just look at how Weaners is pricing their XF 2.2D, they almost had no profit margin on the sale price in order to gain market share against the 3 big German.

Fully agreed bro! This car can sell if price correctly and yes RM has to accept that Ford (fairly or unfairly) is below Toyota/Honda. Kudos to Wearnes for their strategy!

BTW, was only told recently that Civic is now made in Thailand!

• Praise 3

And why should Ford be brand as seconf class to MIT toyota or Honda. This I do not understand. Price is priced too high is 1 problem, perception of reliability lower than MIT or MIJ toyota or Honda is another hurdle Ford need to overcome.

If priced correctly, might even consider this as my second car and downgrade my current ride to weekend or wifey car.

Edited by Waterh2o
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2