MyCarForum Logo
Search
Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
657 replies to this topic | 2,008 praises

Poll: Drunk Driving (123 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Yes (65 votes [52.85%])

Percentage of vote: 52.85%

2. No (49 votes [39.84%])

Percentage of vote: 39.84%

3. Don't know (9 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

Osiris
  • Premium member
    Osiris
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

With what seems like more drunk driving cases, someone suggested this measure.
Do you agree with it?

maybe, if those lie to say not driving but caught driving, double the punishment to the driver,passengers only.

EXTRACTED FROM THE NEWSPAPER.

STI Home > ST Forum > Story

May 8, 2007
Drink driving: Learn from the Japanese

TRAFFIC accidents involving drink drivers are on the rise again.
It is time that the authorities implemented stricter laws to reduce this. Recently, I was in Japan and learnt there are strict laws on drink driving there.

In pubs, before a customer orders a drink, the bartender will ask if he is driving. If so, the customer must hand over his car keys before he gets a drink. The pub must provide transport to take customers home.

For anyone caught drink driving, the traffic police will also charge the pub owner, drinking partners and all passengers inside the drink driver's vehicle.
Perhaps the authorities here can adopt some of the Japanese rules on drink driving to reduce the rise of this menace.

Derek Tay Yeng Kwee

Tigershark1976 praised this
To lodge all power in one party and keep it there is to insure bad government and the sure and gradual deterioration of the public morals

Mark Twain

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

Nhyone
  • Nhyone
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

What if the customer lied? What can the pub do?
(void *) &NHY;

- All it takes for evil to succeed is a few good men to do nothing.

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:33 AM

Mzrmazda3
  • Premium member
    Mzrmazda3
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

For me, i think implementing 'Rotan' as part of package for punishment against drink driving would be a better option tongue.gif

Maybe, i jus wanna see blood cool.gif

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:37 AM

Navyaveo
  • Navyaveo
    1st Gear
    Author Image

The authority has been putting through the various media to send the No. 1 message across
which is " U drink, Dont drive" over the years.I believe 100% of all Singaporean drivers got the message by now. But yet, still have some irresponsible drivers commit the offence, putting their career and dependants in misery. Worse still, if the accident involve innocent parties.

So whats the root of the problem????
Beer? Driver himself? There is always a saying: To solve a problem 100%, deal with the root cause!!!!

Above is all my personal views. Thks for reading.

Edited by Navyaveo, 09 May 2007 - 11:39 AM.

Nightkids praised this
Regards,
Kingsley Lim

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

Chromas
  • Chromas
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

I had 3 Margaritas at Cha Cha Cha (Holland V) the other evening during dinner. Dunno why I went to order a pitcher to share between me and my g/f. But it was good.

Anyway, after 3 drinks, my head was super light. Now, the typical respond would be, "I'm still sober, I can think straight, I can drive."

YAH RIGHT

It was only 10pm when we finished dinner there and so I decided to take a nice long stroll around Holland V, going around to the various shops that were still open, looking aimlessly at their wares, and at their attempts to make me buy something. I wasn't there to buy anything, I was window shopping to clear off the alcohol. Tough luck for them.

The bottom-line is, if you want to drink, go ahead by all means, but make sure you're DEAD SURE that you're sober before even getting back behind the wheel.
Tigershark1976 praised this

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

Chromas
  • Chromas
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

About 6 months ago, I was at having a great time with friends and the boss of a workshop in his very nice and classy showroom.

The guys poured some liquor drink (think it was Chivas) mixed with green tea. I didn't know it was so strong. After around 30 shots (which tasted just like green tea w/o alcohol), I was stone drunk.

Keeping my wits with me, I managed to struggle to the toilet where the inevitable happens. I still managed to find the energy to call my g/f and tell her that I was stone drunk.

An S13 friend called me up and asked me where the party was. He came late and ended up driving me safely back home. I was going to leave my S15 in the workshop anyway and take a cab home if my friend had not come by.

THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL TO LEARN FROM ME == DRINK BY ALL MEANS, BUT DON'T DRIVE WHEN YOU'RE FREAKING DRUNK
Nightkids praised this

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

Dipstick
  • Dipstick
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I fully agree with you. Better still, televise the punishment live as it is being meted out. Splash pic of the face and butts of the bugger all over the media.. 99% reduction in drink-driving is guaranteed......... laugh.gif laugh.gif
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

[B]It's not a race. It's better to be late than dead. Drive at a sensible speed. [B]

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

Dipstick
  • Dipstick
    5th Gear
    Author Image

You are thumbsup.gif , Chromas.

[B]It's not a race. It's better to be late than dead. Drive at a sensible speed. [B]

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

Mzrmazda3
  • Premium member
    Mzrmazda3
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

The bottom-line is, if you want to drink, go ahead by all means, but make sure you're DEAD SURE that you're sober before even getting back behind the wheel.

Agree nod.gif nod.gif nod.gif

Those that go 'Happy' liao then still drive, once kena accident or kena caught at roadblock should all be punished heavily instead of just licence kantong mad.gif

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

Mzrmazda3
  • Premium member
    Mzrmazda3
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Bro, you more hiong than me sweatdrop.gif sweatdrop.gif sweatdrop.gif

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:59 AM

Emperor
  • Premium member
    Emperor
    6th Gear
    Author Image

My thoughts... if we're drinking, its our responsibility not to be driving. Despite a few cups be it sober or not... if we have to drive.. then I suggest we go non-alcohol..
Hand of God
I make cornering look as easy as walking.
www.bellydance-goddess.com, www.bazmadrumfoundry.com, www.humanrhythms.com.sg

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:59 AM

Dipstick
  • Dipstick
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Just being pragmatic........ The law in its present form does not seem to work vis-a vis drink-driving. It's time to get serious with those irresponsible MF buggers.

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

Megaweb
  • Megaweb
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Watched a Discovery documentary on people drunk commit crime after PUB drinking. They manage to reduce the crime by asking the PUB to distribute free Kik Kat to people to consume when they leave. They claim the sweet taste from Kik Kat stimulate their brain to be more alert.

Not sure is true or not.

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:02 PM

Mzrmazda3
  • Premium member
    Mzrmazda3
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Bro, i share your thoughts nod.gif nod.gif nod.gif

My practice is also 'Ai Lim Jiu, Mai Hwa Chia, Zer Tek Si Or Bo Lui liao then Zer Ba Si' smile.gif

Edited by Mzrmazda3, 09 May 2007 - 12:03 PM.

Nightkids praised this

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:05 PM

Mzrmazda3
  • Premium member
    Mzrmazda3
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It's time to get serious with those irresponsible MF buggers.

Spot on nod.gif nod.gif nod.gif

I hope the relevant authority would log in to MCF & see what we, commoners could propose sly.gif

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:05 PM

Chromas
  • Chromas
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

There was once I drove my S15 back from Clark Quay after a long night's work.

I encountered a road block. To the left was a WRX with its occupants outside and I think already caught for drink driving. The officer stuck his head into my car after I wound down the window and asked where I came from.

I told him that I came from Clark Quay and just finished work there.

He was satisfied that he didn't smell any alcohol and waved me to drive on.

I don't like to drink and drive. That's a big no-no to me.

So when my g/f and the girls go out for a drink sometimes and I tag along, I always make sure that I stop drinking at least 1 to 2 hours before I need to drive home and usually, I only have around 2 to 3 shots this time. After that, I'm drowning down the freeflow of mixers (usually the Coke).
Nightkids praised this

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

Typhoonz
  • Premium member
    Typhoonz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Good control bro... Some just don't give a shat and drive... The WRX obviously didn't...

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

Jacf
  • Jacf
    4th Gear
    Author Image

one way to get sober faster is to drink 1 to 2 big glasses of iced water.. then wait for it to be released - via urine.. once released, abt 30mins later, can really feel more sober.. but will not work if drink too much, better go public! nod.gif

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:21 PM

Kiadaw
  • Kiadaw
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Problem is, when you are DEAD DRUNK, iyou may think you are DEAD SURE you are ok...So, I follow what my other friends do. If going out for drink. Take public transport. So drunk, not drunk, still can go back in one piece.
Nightkids praised this

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:32 PM

Osiris
  • Premium member
    Osiris
    Supercharged
    Author Image

agree with you, even if drunk may say ok.
To lodge all power in one party and keep it there is to insure bad government and the sure and gradual deterioration of the public morals

Mark Twain

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: drink driving, insurance, drink and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users