Drink Driving Is An Act Of Irresponsibility!

Osiris

Drunk Driving  

179 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

What was the public service advertisement again? 

"If you don't drive to drink, you will not drink to drive"? 

Obviously the Judge never saw that advert. 

What a damn lousy excuse.... 

Judge cuts jail term in 'peculiar' drink-driving case

Culprit was showing valet driver how to drive brand-new Maserati

A third-time drink-driver saw his jail sentence reduced by a third - from six weeks to four - after he succeeded yesterday in his appeal to the High Court over the unusual circumstances of his case.

Having learnt his lesson from two drink-driving convictions, businessman Wang Kim Fatt had hired a valet driver to take him home whenever he went out drinking.

Wang, 53, even included the valet driver in his car insurance policy as the second driver. But after drinks one night last March, the valet asked Wang to demonstrate how to drive his new Maserati. The valet told him he was not familiar with the controls.

Wang had picked up the $600,000 GranTurismo MC Stradale from a dealer just hours earlier. The supercar does not have a gear shift; instead, the gearbox is robotised and the drive modes are activated by paddle shifters.

Wang got into the driver's seat with the valet next to him and drove for 710m before he was stopped at a police roadblock in Mayne Road, off Mackenzie Road. He was arrested after failing a breathalyser test.

Wang was initially sentenced by a district court to six weeks' jail, a $10,000 fine and an eight-year driving ban after he pleaded guilty to his third drink-driving offence.

He accepted the fine and ban but appealed against the jail term.

His lawyer, Mr Daniel Chia, argued that while six weeks' jail is within sentencing norms for the typical third-time offender, Wang's jail term should be shortened as his case was "peculiar and special".

Deputy Public Prosecutor Kong Kuek Foo argued that Wang ought to know he should not have been driving and that six weeks was in the lower range for such offences.

Judge of Appeal Chao Hick Tin agreed that the circumstances were not typical and cut Wang's jail term. He noted that Wang did make an effort to comply with the law but "a certain situation arose".

"He should have left the car in the parking lot rather than try to demonstrate to the driver how to operate the machine," said the judge.

Mr Chia said his client's decision was a "costly lapse of judgment".

He said: "The prospect of leaving the brand-new car overnight in the carpark was unpleasant."

Wang was first convicted of drink driving in 1994; he was fined $3,500 and disqualified from driving for two years. In 2006, he was jailed a week, fined $8,000 and handed a four-year driving ban for his second offence.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/judge-cuts-jail-term-in-peculiar-drink-driving-case

well done, now precedence set, in future DUI cases will chut the same pattern. 

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

What was the public service advertisement again? 

"If you don't drive to drink, you will not drink to drive"? 

Obviously the Judge never saw that advert. 

What a damn lousy excuse.... 

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt la. I guess in this circumstance, really is a new car he collected a few hours ago and he really had put the valet name under his insurance. Plus at the roadblock, I think the police would have noted he got valet in the car. All these can be verified ma. Not like it is some story that he can cook up on the spot. Doesn't make sense that if he paid a valet and he is in the car with him already, he will still drive himself.

Paid his dedicated driver as insurance for such instance.

What is so complicated about the maserati? Mercedes also have gear shift mounted on the steering column.

When I test drive the merc, the SE just gave me instruction from the passenger seat on how to operate the gear shift. Definitely not rocket science.

And I say again, if you expect yourself to drink, don't drive to drive.      Want to show off new car, then don't drink.

And don't say your car is too expensive or too new to park outside of your house overnight....in Singapore.

I have no patience or pity for drink drivers.

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt la. I guess in this circumstance, really is a new car he collected a few hours ago and he really had put the valet name under his insurance. Plus at the roadblock, I think the police would have noted he got valet in the car. All these can be verified ma. Not like it is some story that he can cook up on the spot. Doesn't make sense that if he paid a valet and he is in the car with him already, he will still drive himself.

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 2

What is so complicated about the maserati? Mercedes also have gear shift mounted on the steering column.

When I test drive the merc, the SE just gave me instruction from the passenger seat on how to operate the gear shift. Definitely not rocket science.

And I say again, if you expect yourself to drink, don't drive to drive.      Want to show off new car, then don't drink.

And don't say your car is too expensive or too new to park outside of your house overnight....in Singapore.

Reminds me of JB car wash. Where a heavily modded car came for a wash, its manual and I think the clutch was heavy. The washer tried to drive the car to shift it forward, every time he reached the biting point, the car stalled. Tried for five times and failed. Waited for driver to come back and ask driver to drive forward.

Saw that the driver has to rev pretty high to get the right biting point.

This case, the car gear shift is on the paddles. Think no other cars at the moment have that. Most cars current paddle shift is a complement of the gearbox. So I would give this guy a benefit of a doubt.

I agree. I think the valet was just standby and there was never any intention to let the valet drive. He was there purely for kena road block purposes only. All this planned out swee swee already.

Anyways, I suppose doesn't matter whether we believe or not, the judge believe can already lor.  :mellow:

• Praise 2

Lawyer gets jail, fine and ban for 2nd drink driving offence

A lawyer who was caught drinking and driving a second time was jailed for two weeks, fined $4,000 and banned from driving for 42 months yesterday.

Favian Kang Kok Boon, 31, pleaded guilty to committing the offence on Oct 24 last year. His blood-alcohol level was at least 128mg per 100ml of blood, when the legal limit for driving is 80mg/100ml.

His first conviction for drink driving occurred in April 2009, when he was fined $3,000 and banned from driving for two years. He was also fined for driving without due care and attention.

In the current case, the court heard that Kang was driving home along Bukit Timah Road in his Mercedes-Benz on Oct 24 when a policeman stopped him for a spot-check at about 3.45am.

The traffic cop approached Kang, who was reeking of alcohol. His face was flushed and his eyes were bloodshot.

Kang was unable to complete a breathalyser test, claiming he was short of breath. He also told the policeman that he had asthma.

He was taken to a hospital where a blood sample was obtained some 21/2 hours later for alcohol analysis.

Investigations showed that Kang had consumed alcohol earlier when he was at Clarke Quay with two friends, said Deputy Public Prosecutor Shahla Iqbal.

In his mitigation plea, Kang's lawyer Suresh Damodara said his client had drunk more than a glass of alcohol as he had not been told beforehand that his Korean associates would be at the meeting as well, and they expected him to drink.

He said it was part of Korean business custom or etiquette to drink over networking.

Mr Damodara said his client drove home as he was feeling tired and unable to obtain a car valet service, which he had been using consistently and if he knew he would be drinking.

Kang, who was called to the Bar in 2012, had acted pro bono for underprivileged individuals in nine matters, contributing about 280 hours of his personal time, said the lawyer.

Last year, he represented an unemployed man who was sentenced to three years' jail for stabbing his neighbour after the latter splashed hot oil and water on him along a common corridor at Block 3, Jalan Bukit Merah.

The maximum penalty for a second or subsequent conviction for drink driving is a $10,000 fine and 12 months' jail.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/lawyer-gets-jail-fine-and-ban-for-2nd-drink-driving-offence

This type of mitigation plea also can ...  [:p] . Laugh die me.

So its the Korean business custom fault ?  :XD:

Edited by Blueray

Hypersonic

tiagong koreans drink very fierce one

a few different types of liquor on table, each one a glass

1 round need to bottoms up all the different liquors consecutively

go at least 15 rounds

and they really get offended if you don't drink

tiagong only har

Edited by Enye

Kang, who was called to the Bar in 2012, had acted pro bono for underprivileged individuals in nine matters, contributing about 280 hours of his personal time, said the lawyer.

Last year, he represented an unemployed man who was sentenced to three years' jail for stabbing his neighbour after the latter splashed hot oil and water on him along a common corridor at Block 3, Jalan Bukit Merah.

Lawyer version of "Good FamiLee"  :D

Lawyer gets jail, fine and ban for 2nd drink driving offence

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/lawyer-gets-jail-fine-and-ban-for-2nd-drink-driving-offence

This type of mitigation plea also can ...  [:p] . Laugh die me.

So its the Korean business custom fault ?  :XD:

That is for sure. Had a few rounds with them as part of biz/social interactions. 

Left my car at home before going just base on their notoriety.

go at least 15 rounds

tiagong only har

go at least 15 rounds

tiagong only har

• Praise 1

Lawyer version of "Good FamiLee"  :D

Dunno why laws on drunk driving still not amended.

Waiting for more statistics on fatal drunk driving incidents ?  [confused]

Only the men right? The ladies dont drink that fierce, so next time just ask the ladies out and the korean men stay at home. [grin]

please watch some korean drama with your wife to learn more about how korean women drink   [laugh]  [laugh]

Hypersonic

That is for sure. Had a few rounds with them as part of biz/social interactions. 

Left my car at home before going just base on their notoriety.

wah doctor also must go entertain...

[sweatdrop]

Only the men right? The ladies dont drink that fierce, so next time just ask the ladies out and the korean men stay at home. [grin]

don't underestimate their ladies hor....

they geh geh one

sekali you kena floored when you cannot outdrink them

tiagong only har

:D

Edited by Enye

please watch some korean drama with your wife to learn more about how korean women drink   [laugh]  [laugh]

I dont watch korean drama one.

• Praise 1

That's why drink at home or nearby coffeeshop best. No need drive to drink. But die die want to socialize, take taxi. Don't die die must drive to show off got car. Wait die also cannot show off.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1