LTA, Traffic Police will not easily accede to traffic summon

Zxcvb

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/lta-traffic-police-will/1352610.html

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Home Affairs Teo Chee Hean said the Traffic Police and LTA will not accede to appeals for charges to be cancelled or waived unless there are "very strong extenuating factors".

stock-traffic-police-01.jpg File photo: A traffic police officer on patrol (photo: Francine Lim, channelnewsasia.com)

SINGAPORE: The Traffic Police received about 2,600 appeals for traffic-related offences each month in 2013, while the Land Transport Authority (LTA) received about 7,900 appeals for illegal parking offences over the same period.

In a written reply to Parliamentary questions posed by MP for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC Hri Kumar, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Home Affairs Teo Chee Hean did not give figures on the number of successful appeals, but said that both the Traffic Police and LTA will not accede to appeals for charges to be cancelled or waived unless there are "very strong extenuating factors".

DPM Teo also stressed that road users should be responsible and abide by traffic rules at all times, and that violations will be dealt with in accordance with the law.

Parliament passes amendments to Road Traffic Act

Tougher rules on the use of mobile devices have been passed, but some Members of Parliament called for even stricter laws.

SINGAPORE: Amendments to the Road Traffic Act were passed in Parliament on Monday (Sep 8), tightening rules on the use of mobile phones while driving.

But a motorist will still be able to use his mobile device if it is mounted on a hands-free holder, and this prompted several Members of Parliament (MPs) to suggest expanding the scope of the Act.

Tougher rules on the use of mobile phones while driving make it illegal to not just call someone, but also to surf the internet, play games or check emails with a mobile device, including tablets. However, these rules only apply if the device is held in one hand while the vehicle is in motion, prompting several MPs to call for tougher laws.

Mr Hri Kumar, MP for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, said: “Everyone knows that using phones while driving is not safe, so we comfort ourselves by saying that we can use hands-free devices. But there are many studies which claim that using hands-free devices is equally dangerous as using handheld devices. This is because the real distraction is the phone conversation, and it matters less that you have both hands on the wheel."

Non-Constituency MP Gerald Giam added: “According to a study published in the British Medical Journal, a driver is 4.9 times more likely to get into an accident when using a mobile phone while driving. Even using a hands-free accessory is not much safer - it has been found to increase the risk (of an accident) by 3.8 times.

“At a minimum, we should have a regulatory regime, where the most risky and distracting activities are clearly banned. While at the same time, the authorities constantly remind drivers through public education of the dangers of using their mobile phones while on the road.”

TOUGHER RULES ON FOREIGN DRIVING LICENCES

Rules on the use of foreign licences have also been toughened. Currently, people with foreign driving licences can drive for up to 12 months from the day they enter Singapore. From January 2016, foreigners will only be able to drive for six months from the day their work passes were issued.

In addition, the new rules only apply to those who drive in the course of their work. S-Pass and Work Permit holders who wish to convert their foreign licences to a Class 3 licence will also need to take a practical driving test. They must also pass the basic theory test.

Alternatively, they may choose to convert their licences to a Class 3C licence from June next year. If they do so, they need to pass only the basic theory test.

OTHER CHANGES TO THE ROAD TRAFFIC ACT

Those who drive light goods vehicles and small buses will be required to take the Practical Driving Test when renewing their licences. They will then be issued with a full Class 3 licence.

Another change is in regard to a rule which requires vehicle owners to give the Traffic Police details of a traffic offence within seven days of receiving notice. Should the vehicle owner not comply, he would then be charged with failing to furnish the information.

Under the proposed changes, the time for replying to a traffic infringement notice will be extended to 14 days - up from the current seven. But, should the vehicle owner still fail to do so within the time given, he will be presumed to have committed the offence himself, and will be charged accordingly. This is on top of charges for failing to furnish information.

However, if the vehicle owner is able to prove that he was not driving the vehicle at the time of the offence, with documents showing he was overseas, for example, he may use it as evidence.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

"Under the proposed changes, the time for replying to a traffic infringement notice will be extended to 14 days - up from the current seven. But, should the vehicle owner still fail to do so within the time given, he will be presumed to have committed the offence himself, and will be charged accordingly. This is on top of charges for failing to furnish information.

However, if the vehicle owner is able to prove that he was not driving the vehicle at the time of the offence, with documents showing he was overseas, for example, he may use it as evidence. "

This is extremely troubling. it undermines the entire foundation of our legal system. In our "legal" system, the burden of proof lies on the prosecution, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

SINGAPORE: The Traffic Police received about 2,600 appeals for traffic-related offences each month in 2013, while the Land Transport Authority (LTA) received about 7,900 appeals for illegal parking offences over the same period.

That means 2013 there were more than 10,000 offences booked, considering that not all will appeal.

But then huh, I still see so many cars on the road dun switch on headlights (at night), turn on bright HID lights to blind others, illegal mod on the exhaust, etc.....

• Praise 1

That means 2013 there were more than 10,000 offences booked, considering that not all will appeal.

But then huh, I still see so many cars on the road dun switch on headlights (at night), turn on bright HID lights to blind others, illegal mod on the exhaust, etc.....

Paying excessive attentions to nearby pedestrians, drivers, passengers considered as an offence in near future?

What about bill boards etc on buses, taxis which can be an distraction to drivers???

I recently also got my appeal rejected...for travelling on Jln Ahmad Ibrahim towards AYE at 101km/h. I tot its 90km/h road but they summon me for 21km/h more as they state its 80km/h road...problem is I dont find any sign stating its 80km/h....unless all expressways are 80km/h unless stated to be 90km/h

• Praise 3

Sadly, it has always been the case that WE have to frigging proof that we DID NOT commit any wrong.

"Under the proposed changes, the time for replying to a traffic infringement notice will be extended to 14 days - up from the current seven. But, should the vehicle owner still fail to do so within the time given, he will be presumed to have committed the offence himself, and will be charged accordingly. This is on top of charges for failing to furnish information.

However, if the vehicle owner is able to prove that he was not driving the vehicle at the time of the offence, with documents showing he was overseas, for example, he may use it as evidence. "

This is extremely troubling. it undermines the entire foundation of our legal system. In our "legal" system, the burden of proof lies on the prosecution, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

• Praise 1

Ya.. dafug is class 3C?

i read that it was just intro...for those foreign drivers i think who drive vans etc

Parliament: Driving test a must for foreign workers who operate small buses and vans
PUBLISHED ON SEP 8, 2014 6:17 PM
16 53 0 0PRINTEMAIL
image-80914e.jpg
From June 1 next year, work permit holders and S-pass holders will need to pass a practical driving test - on top of the basic theory test - to drive light commercial vehicles in Singapore, under the Road Traffic (Amendment) Bill passed on Monday, Sept 8, 2014. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

BY LIM YI HAN

SINGAPORE - From June 1 next year, work permit holders and S-pass holders will need to pass a practical driving test - on top of the basic theory test - to drive all Class 3 vehicles in Singapore, under the Road Traffic (Amendment) Bill passed on Monday.

This class allows them to drive cars and light commercial vehicles such as small buses that do not weigh more than 2,500kg. Currently, they only need to pass the basic theory test in order to convert their foreign equivalent licence.

But if they want to just stick to cars, and not light commercial vehicles, they can apply for the new class 3C licence, in which they only need to pass their basic theory test.

Work pass holders who drive for work will also need to obtain a local driving licence within six months from the date they obtain their work passes from Jan 1, 2016. Previously, they can drive with a foreign licence for up to a year.

Senior Minister of State for Home Affairs Masagos Zulkifli said in Parliament on Monday: "Put together, these two changes will ensure that foreign vocational drivers are competent (and familiar) when they drive on our roads."

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/parliament-driving-test-must-foreign-workers-who-operate#sthash.QE99mykT.dpuf
  • Praise 2

Ya.. dafug is class 3C?

foreigner who pass basic theory but have not sat for actual driving test.

good to ensure all the FW/FT understand the traffic rules and way of driving in singapore.

• Praise 2

i read that it was just intro...for those foreign drivers i think who drive vans etc

Parliament: Driving test a must for foreign workers who operate small buses and vans
PUBLISHED ON SEP 8, 2014 6:17 PM
16 53 0 0PRINTEMAIL
image-80914e.jpg
From June 1 next year, work permit holders and S-pass holders will need to pass a practical driving test - on top of the basic theory test - to drive light commercial vehicles in Singapore, under the Road Traffic (Amendment) Bill passed on Monday, Sept 8, 2014. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

BY LIM YI HAN

SINGAPORE - From June 1 next year, work permit holders and S-pass holders will need to pass a practical driving test - on top of the basic theory test - to drive all Class 3 vehicles in Singapore, under the Road Traffic (Amendment) Bill passed on Monday.

This class allows them to drive cars and light commercial vehicles such as small buses that do not weigh more than 2,500kg. Currently, they only need to pass the basic theory test in order to convert their foreign equivalent licence.

But if they want to just stick to cars, and not light commercial vehicles, they can apply for the new class 3C licence, in which they only need to pass their basic theory test.

Work pass holders who drive for work will also need to obtain a local driving licence within six months from the date they obtain their work passes from Jan 1, 2016. Previously, they can drive with a foreign licence for up to a year.

Senior Minister of State for Home Affairs Masagos Zulkifli said in Parliament on Monday: "Put together, these two changes will ensure that foreign vocational drivers are competent (and familiar) when they drive on our roads."

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/parliament-driving-test-must-foreign-workers-who-operate#sthash.QE99mykT.dpuf

Correct me if i'm wrong..

3C applies only to WP and S-Pass holders who need not drive LGVs and Commercial vehicles. Only need to take basic theory.

WP and S-Pass holders who need to drive LGVs and Commercial vehicles. They need to take both the theories and practical test.

So next thing is, will they split 3C to 3C-A (For auto tranny) and 3C (for both MT and AT)?

• Praise 1

What's the problem with this? The car is registered under the vehicle owner, it is the owner's responsibility on how the car is used. You think the presumption that the vehicle owner is driving the car is not reasonable? And the prosecution has to prove that it is not the vehicle owner who drove the car at that time, but it was actually his second uncle or distant cousin visiting from overseas? You want to bog down the system that way and pay more taxes?

• Praise 5

Just to understand the new road amendment act.

Can I use the mobile phone while the car is stationary, say waiting at the traffic light?

Or is the definition of "driving" means the entire process of getting from A to B including waiting at traffic light?

• Praise 2

Paying excessive attentions to nearby pedestrians, drivers, passengers considered as an offence in near future?

What about bill boards etc on buses, taxis which can be an distraction to drivers???

Not to mention the gigantic tv screen outside Suntec. Really distracting especially at night.

• Praise 3

i fully support. See this? Diplomat still bully LTA enforcer.....

I came across a foreigner driving an embassy car number plate car who is extremely rude to a elderly LTA officer that is just doing his job. It was at Holland Village area and the foreign expat was throwing vulgarities and threatening to get our LTA officer fired when he is actually parking illegally at a zigzag line area.

He was abusing the LTA officer and making remarks about his dark skin colour when he was driving off. Sorry my camera is not very good so the video and audio is not very clear.

Basically all the elderly LTA officer is doing is just asking him to move his car away. But the caucasian guy talks like he is some big shot and say how dare he tells him what to do. He also say he will get the old uncle fired.

How can a foreigner behave like this in our country? I really feel like punching the guy. The worse of all, the guy girlfriend seems to be a Singaporean Chinese women and she seems to be oblivious to what the boyfriend is doing and did not interfere to help the old man.

Update 8/9/2014:

Many of our readers have identified that the country code on the car plate belongs to the Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands. One of our readers even contacted the Dutch embassy and this is the response from them:

NAFCfE5.png

What kind of society are we turning into? This incident really spoils my day!

Watch the video recording for yourself here. (link)

[media]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=838005172911318&set=vb.416856241692882&type=2&theater[/media]

• Praise 2

Got a successful appeal once for parking along Beach Road where there are CCTV mounted. Was fetching my pregnant wife there and has already informed her that this road got CCTV and she needs to be there waiting for me instead of me waiting in the car for her. Pick and go. But u know lah pregnant women cannot stand too long and movement slow. In the end got a letter for 6 demerit points and $120 fine. Appeal that my wife is pregnant and it was successful but there will be record for this offence.

Please I am just describling my situation here not making excuses for myself.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2