Best Motoring Youtube and Best Facebook Account

Darryn

Because I love wasting time in the office - three questions for discussion

1. Which Singapore AD has the best facebook page?

2. Which is your favourite motoring Youtube channel?

3. Which Manufacturer has the best Youtube channel?

Note - wasn't sure to put this into cars or L&E - but as it's about watching and not doing decided on L&E

My answers - I like Chris Harris on Cars and Autocar channels for good information, Topgear for great cinematography.

Manufacturers - Lamborghini still makes the best promo videos, but for sheer amount of content I like ///M Cars - their driftmob video etc rock.

As for local facebook page - too many to choose!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 and 3 - no idea, never bothered with those.

As for 2 - my clear favourite on YT is Chris Harris on Cars.

On the telly (or via downloads), it's Top Gear by a country mile.

• Praise 1

1 and 3 - no idea, never bothered with those.

As for 2 - my clear favourite on YT is Chris Harris on Cars.

On the telly (or via downloads), it's Top Gear by a country mile.

Yeah - Chris is really thorough - but must have time to watch his videos - they tend to be lengthy.

What about Head to Head? Do you watch that?

For car journals, I watch;

Chris Harris on Cars and /Drive but sad that they've gone subscription which is not open to Int'l viewers. /Drive+ is still not available [:(]

Autocars also good but sometimes Sutcliff is super boring.

EVO always seems to get early dibs on good exotics

Jay Leno's Garage for some off beat cars and classics

But the stuff I seem to spend more time on on Youtube nowadays is....

drum rolll.....

Jimmy Fallon! :D:D

Yeah - Chris is really thorough - but must have time to watch his videos - they tend to be lengthy.

What about Head to Head? Do you watch that?

No, don't (at least, haven't) watched H to H.

Other than Chris, I guess I watch some Autocar videos from time to time. But I can't say I consider them favourites.

Oh, I may have to revise my answer a little. My real favourite YT car videos are the ones where the pretty lady's tatas keep popping out "by accident" while she's being driven around the track in various cars. :D

Have I violated the "no innuendo" rule? There was no innuendo in my post, just bald facts. :D

For car journals, I watch;

Chris Harris on Cars and /Drive but sad that they've gone subscription which is not open to Int'l viewers. /Drive+ is still not available [:(]

Autocars also good but sometimes Sutcliff is super boring.

EVO always seems to get early dibs on good exotics

Jay Leno's Garage for some off beat cars and classics

But the stuff I seem to spend more time on on Youtube nowadays is....

drum rolll.....

Jimmy Fallon! :D:D

Evo facebook here quite good -

Unfortunately it's not getting the love it deserves - only 751 fans [confused]

I also like 5th gear - the lady they have doing reporting quite nice...and knowledgeable

No, don't (at least, haven't) watched H to H.

Other than Chris, I guess I watch some Autocar videos from time to time. But I can't say I consider them favourites.

Oh, I may have to revise my answer a little. My real favourite YT car videos are the ones where the pretty lady's tatas keep popping out "by accident" while she's being driven around the track in various cars. :D

Have I violated the "no innuendo" rule? There was no innuendo in my post, just bald facts. :D

Haha ...

that one a classic! But looking at ta tas don't count as a "car" video....

I also like 5th gear - the lady they have doing reporting quite nice...and knowledgeable

Vicki Butler-Henderson?

Vicki-Butler-Henderson.jpg

She's a racing driver, albeit a lower tier one.

All 3 major presenters on Fifth Gear - Tiff Needel, Jason Plato and VBH can really drive. The first two are really, really great. But the show is just so dreary compared to Top Gear. So while I accept that TG's JC, JM and RH are nowhere near as good drivers as at least the two blokes on Fifth Gear, they more than make up for it with silly antics and their fantastic sense of humour. So I've more or less given up on FG, and watch TG exclusively.

Oh, and I only watch the original TG (UK). Tried watching a bit of the US version and I wanted to gouge mine own eyes out.

Vicki Butler-Henderson?

Vicki-Butler-Henderson.jpg

She's a racing driver, albeit a lower tier one.

All 3 major presenters on Fifth Gear - Tiff Needel, Jason Plato and VBH can really drive. The first two are really, really great. But the show is just so dreary compared to Top Gear. So while I accept that TG's JC, JM and RH are nowhere near as good drivers as at least the two blokes on Fifth Gear, they more than make up for it with silly antics and their fantastic sense of humour. So I've more or less given up on FG, and watch TG exclusively.

Oh, and I only watch the original TG (UK). Tried watching a bit of the US version and I wanted to gouge mine own eyes out.

Yeah her -

IMHO TG and FG are fundamentally different - TG is more about entertainment while FG is more about the cars. But Chris is really cool - he gives good and accessible information - helps us to learn :-)

Yeah her -

IMHO TG and FG are fundamentally different - TG is more about entertainment while FG is more about the cars. But Chris is really cool - he gives good and accessible information - helps us to learn :-)

Interestingly, I find Chris much more personable than any of the sad sacks on FG.

If Chris did a full time TV show, I'd watch it regularly. It'd fill the "mildly entertaining but seriously informative" gap that now exists where FG used to slot in before I discarded it.

• Praise 1

Right now the two brands spending bulk money on FB locally are Audi and Chrysler Jeep

Audi with the owners programme and Jeep with the new Cherokee....

I see Lamborghini posting a bit also with the Arriva happening....(did anyone visit it?)

Interestingly, I find Chris much more personable than any of the sad sacks on FG.

If Chris did a full time TV show, I'd watch it regularly. It'd fill the "mildly entertaining but seriously informative" gap that now exists where FG used to slot in before I discarded it.

Just saw this on Chris

It's no secret that Ferrari has banned auto journalist Chris Harris from driving its press cars after a rant back in 2011 where he revealed, among other things, that the Italian company "custom-tunes" its vehicles for track tests and media purposes.

+5 respect points!

Anyone who watches Topgear for information has to be smoking some good stuff.

Chris Harris is the man, unfortunately the whole subscription thing and Drive+ means now we only get 2-3 minute clips of him booo. I still rewatch the old stuff though.

Matt Farah on drive sometimes has some interesting cars on the show, more aftermarket stuff though.

Roadkill is awesome, from the guys at Hot Rod magazine. Yeah it features older American muscle, but their roadtrips in old beaters rock. Plus their latest show where Subaru America donated two legacies for them to drive is awesome.

For manufacturer videos, nobody does it better that KTM.

ps. Any companies that tries to shill their stuff to me on FB can go suck a fat dick.

Edited by Myxilplix
  • Praise 2

ps. Any companies that tries to shill their stuff to me on FB can go suck a fat dick.

they're sure going to try and "convert" you - otherwise why bother?

It's just a matter of how much, how blatantly and how much interesting content they have...

I've heard of the 40:40:20 rule before -

40% off brand, but industry related, 40% brand hero type stuff, (brand building) and 20% selling - which feels about right to my way of thinking. Some people on FB are there to learn more about what the local company is doing.

I read a report out of the US that something like 50% of under 35s find a company facebook page more informative than the website...

At the very least, FB is easier to keep updated

Then for extra...

Who's your favourite LOCAL writer?

I have been flipping through TG (Sg) and Autocar Asean these last few days - not many local bylines!

Some of my favourites still include Tony Watts, Sheldon and Simon...

Leow Ju-Len is one of the most knowledgeable around which I love...

Just saw this on Chris

+5 respect points!

Apropos of the Chris/Ferrari thing, it's just another reason I detest that Italian monstrosity - at least the company and its management, if not the cars. Screw-derriere Ferrari, I call 'em. :D

they're sure going to try and "convert" you - otherwise why bother?

It's just a matter of how much, how blatantly and how much interesting content they have...

I've heard of the 40:40:20 rule before -

40% off brand, but industry related, 40% brand hero type stuff, (brand building) and 20% selling - which feels about right to my way of thinking. Some people on FB are there to learn more about what the local company is doing.

I read a report out of the US that something like 50% of under 35s find a company facebook page more informative than the website...

At the very least, FB is easier to keep updated

They can try but the only businesses I "like" are those I personally patronise or have friends running. Even then I do not visit their fb pages after the initial "like" visit. I always prefer to visit websites because the FB pages do not have any in-depth info, it's more like press releases on new stuff or events.

I don't see Audi Singapore on fb, the page seems to be privately-held and not affiliated with Premium. But Premium can bugger off because of their invasive ads on youtube, trying to sell me some kind of atas lifestyle.

But I'm a crotchety consumer with some basic education in mass comm/copywriting/media so I don't want to be sold anything and any form of invasive advertising irritates me. What I want is information, not a sales pitch.

They can try but the only businesses I "like" are those I personally patronise or have friends running. Even then I do not visit their fb pages after the initial "like" visit. I always prefer to visit websites because the FB pages do not have any in-depth info, it's more like press releases on new stuff or events.

I don't see Audi Singapore on fb, the page seems to be privately-held and not affiliated with Premium. But Premium can bugger off because of their invasive ads on youtube, trying to sell me some kind of atas lifestyle.

But I'm a crotchety consumer with some basic education in mass comm/copywriting/media so I don't want to be sold anything and any form of invasive advertising irritates me. What I want is information, not a sales pitch.

Hee....what you are complaining abt is the hallmark of a poorly run page.

A good FB page is much much more than just press releases and new stuff - it should keep readers up to date on all sorts of info and stuff.

Agree on the content part - I think the best way to do it is to post links to the interesting articles - some pages will also write articles for posting on the page...

↡ Advertisement