High mercury fish to avoid

LiuDeHua

Usually the deeper the fiah resides, the more mercury its exposed to. I understand that there are those extremely gigantic groupers deep in sea. But my understanding of grouper in chinese is 石板(not sure which ban) I thought they always reside on rocks near the shore? Or 石板 is snapper? Dont sound right to me.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Usually the deeper the fiah resides, the more mercury its exposed to. I understand that there are those extremely gigantic groupers deep in sea. But my understanding of grouper in chinese is 石板(not sure which ban) I thought they always reside on rocks near the shore? Or 石板 is snapper? Dont sound right to me.

That is grouper.

• Praise 3

Must look for the Not from Concentrate label on the OJ package.

Blondes need not apply.

Not from concentrate means frozen and/or pastuerised juice (at some point), at least it is better than those sugar-added "Drinks".

Only really "fresh" juice is those at the fruit stall....

Happy hunting!

• Praise 2

In the high risk listing, all are Pelagic fish species except Grouper and Sea Bass (chilean), there is one that is super highest in mercury content which is not listed, it is a pelagic Barracuda fish that eats anything in the sea [thumbsdown]

Barracuda? Sounds more like us human! Eating anything in the sea! :D

Basically those with high mercury risk are those fish high up in the food chain - they have chance to accumulate the mercury (or other heavy metals) in their bodies as they eat up other fishes.

Small fishes don't live long enough to accumulate the toxins before they get eaten up, mostly by us!

• Praise 1

Usually high mercury fish are those deep in the ocean where pollution are rampant. Those river fish like salmon or whatever that's freshwater fish. Most freshwater fish are farmed. So it's safer.

For pregnant women best is to stay away from eating deep ocean fish and sushi. LoL...

• Praise 1

most if not all salmon you find in Sinkapor is farmed with orange-colored flesh(laced with chemicals & dye)..wild salmon is the color below

Wild-Salmon-Are-Better-1-460x313.jpg

Aiyer..then I better don't eat. Unless I see red colour flesh type.

These days si mi sai also got chemical/toxin/toxic/poison u named it our food source sure have it... If not where got so many ppl got cancer... Best is live life to fullest .. f all women u want eat all good food u can before the illness get u...

As one bro here says we r like those deep sea fish the longer we live the more toxin we accumulate from all the food we eat, if the toxin never act we can live longer

Edited by Xers007
  • Praise 3

金目鲈 ? Very tasty ..

金目鲈 is known as barramundi or the Asian sea bass..the 金目鲈 sold locally are farmed-raised..not wild caught..wild caught prices are typically around ~$70 per kg

鲈 & 斑鱼 belongs to the same family

Source: http://wildsingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2010/02/meet-super-sea-bass-farmed-in-singapore.html#.VCKDcPmSx8E

• Praise 2

金目鲈 ? Very tasty ..

The cultured ones taste not good as compare the wild catches that I hooked up near Pulau Ubin sea shore, it's about 1.5 ~ 3 kg's sizes, this fish lives in shallow blackish waters and is very easy to catch.

Sometimes I got many of them even in monsoon canal mouth at changi village, they only eats live prawn bait.

• Praise 6

barramundi has a taste i don't usually like prepared in western style cooking. Usually prefer snapper fish & chips ha.

at least when i eat it overseas or in western restaurants.

I prefer local fish cooked taste. local seabass is ok though.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

barramundi has a taste i don't usually like prepared in western style cooking. Usually prefer snapper fish & chips ha.

at least when i eat it overseas or in western restaurants.

I prefer local fish cooked taste. local seabass is ok though.

There used to have a restaurant at raffles city that serves fish and chip using grouper, Chilean sea bass, marble goby. They are very nice

There used to have a restaurant at raffles city that serves fish and chip using grouper, Chilean sea bass, marble goby. They are very nice

haha i'm quite ok with fish & co fish & chips. I think they are already 3.5 star liao. haha. Manhattan fish market nta.

ate some recommended ones in australia. i would say just 4 star only haha.

Edited by Lala81

cow cannot eat ... got mad cow

chicken and duck cannot eat ... got bird flu

fish cannot eat ... got mercury

fruit & vege cannot eat ... got toxic

the world is coming to an end ... KNN

If I followed everything pple said abt this is bad n that is bad n didnt eat those.................I wud have starved to death long ago. Hahahaha. [laugh]

I just eat all in moderation n not only one type all the time.

Even fruits also cannot eat too much cos it got potassium. Recently my potassiun too high n had to take medicine to bring it down.

But too little is also bad. [dizzy]

Like that how???? [confused]

Tks for the info!

Any idea abt threadfin aka Gor Hee?

Very popular among children, mine included.

Its a good fish. [thumbsup]

Just eat lah.....but only not too much. [nod]

↡ Advertisement