High mercury fish to avoid

LiuDeHua

Deep fried marble goby ? What a waste .. unless they are not fresh ?

The fish very very fresh, battered and deep fried to golden crisp. Moist and juicy inside. Definitely not waste as all.

↡ Advertisement

Now selling super expensive at around the price of "Cod" fish.

Most all fish sold here is frozen. Some for months b4 u buy it. [dizzy] Just that u dun know.

Thats why I can only eat the fish I catch myself from the sea n eat almost immediately.

The taste is so very different from those sold in retail. I tried fish from markets n cud hardly take a second bite. [nosebleed]

Especially if steamed. Fried still can eat lah.

Yes.

i realised this sometime ago.

Anyway cod is a commonly mistakened fish like tuna.

I was reading somewhere that 50% of the consumed tuna is not really tuna. Just fish that looks like tuna lol.

it's almost certain your "tuna" in a can is not 100% tuna lol.

The Tuna in cans is basically Skipjack Tuna or Bonito. Still a member of the Tuna family I guess.

COD is a different story. Now Cod is getting very rare. Most of the fish sold as Cod is not. Its actually other white fish. Even Halibut, Flounder, etc is sold as Cod.

Catfish since the name is not popular. Most catfish is sold under other names like Whitefish, Dory, Stucchi filets, Etc.

金目鲈 is known as barramundi or the Asian sea bass..the 金目鲈 sold locally are farmed-raised..not wild caught..wild caught prices are typically around ~$70 per kg

鲈 & 斑鱼 belongs to the same family

Source: http://wildsingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2010/02/meet-super-sea-bass-farmed-in-singapore.html#.VCKDcPmSx8E

Barramundi = SeaBass= Kim bak lor= Siakap(Local names) Try to buy those with a yellow tail. These usually taste better [thumbsup] . Silver colour is salt water. Dark grey is fresh water

I only eat fresh self caught fish. The taste is so very different from those sold in markets n supermarkets.(Yucks)

Wow if KBL is $70/kg fresh caught. Next time I catch, I might as well sell it better. [rolleyes] Even Red Snapper or Red Emperor(Ang Kueh) is abt $70/kg if fresh. [thumbsup] Most sold here r frozen. Again Yucks. [thumbsdown]

Another fish is the Red Grouper. That is not a grouper but a Coral Trout.

• Praise 1

barramundi has a taste i don't usually like prepared in western style cooking. Usually prefer snapper fish & chips ha.

at least when i eat it overseas or in western restaurants.

I prefer local fish cooked taste. local seabass is ok though.

Mostly all fish sold here r the frozen type. Thats why the taste is yucks. [thumbsdown]

Once u eaten those fresh caught n eaten is so nice u wil not wan to eat bought fish again.

Mostly all really fresh fish taste good steamed. Other cooking styles is to mask the fishy taste.

know one guy who doesn't eat fish.

not because of mercury.

but he strongly believes fish eat sh*t

Not all fish eat shit

But freshwater Carp do eat shit if they dun have anything else.

Lond ago in Spore I see carps eat the shit of cows bathing in the pond cos the shit has lots of tasty grass undigested. [laugh]

Not all fish eat shit

But freshwater Carp do eat shit if they dun have anything else.

Lond ago in Spore I see carps eat the shit of cows bathing in the pond cos the shit has lots of tasty grass undigested. [laugh]

crap eating carps

• Praise 2

Mostly all fish sold here r the frozen type. Thats why the taste is yucks. [thumbsdown]

Once u eaten those fresh caught n eaten is so nice u wil not wan to eat bought fish again.

Mostly all really fresh fish taste good steamed. Other cooking styles is to mask the fishy taste.

Go to market and buy lo. The market I go to got a few stalls that sell fresh fish. Not frozen thawed fish. Taste the same as those I catch when I go fishing.

• Praise 1

Go to market and buy lo. The market I go to got a few stalls that sell fresh fish. Not frozen thawed fish. Taste the same as those I catch when I go fishing.

The only stalls that do happen to sell FRESH fish r those who get supplies from trhe small boats that go out everyday n catch small qty of fish n return everyday. This is only in Msia. Sg dun have. <_<

SG all fish come from the fishery ports. Those trawlers return once every month or longer. All their catch is kept frozen on the boat.

Others r imported frozen.

The only exceptions r seafood restaurants who buy live fish from Msia suppliers n trucked here regularly or our few local fish farms but the costs r much higher.

The fish sold in markets r mainly frozen from the fishery ports cos of cost. [;)]

U try to ask yr market fish seller where he gets his fish so fresh. I curious too? [confused]

Barramundi = SeaBass= Kim bak lor= Siakap(Local names) Try to buy those with a yellow tail. These usually taste better [thumbsup] . Silver colour is salt water. Dark grey is fresh water

I only eat fresh self caught fish. The taste is so very different from those sold in markets n supermarkets.(Yucks)

Wow if KBL is $70/kg fresh caught. Next time I catch, I might as well sell it better. [rolleyes] Even Red Snapper or Red Emperor(Ang Kueh) is abt $70/kg if fresh. [thumbsup] Most sold here r frozen. Again Yucks. [thumbsdown]

hmmm... expert.

any place I can do some catching?

• Praise 7

Serious?, how often you go and catch fish?

• Praise 1

"Fresh" from the fridge. [laugh]

The only stalls that do happen to sell FRESH fish r those who get supplies from trhe small boats that go out everyday n catch small qty of fish n return everyday. This is only in Msia. Sg dun have. <_<

SG all fish come from the fishery ports. Those trawlers return once every month or longer. All their catch is kept frozen on the boat.

The only exceptions r seafood restaurants who buy live fish from Msia suppliers n trucked here regularly or our few local fish farms but the costs r much higher.

The fish sold in markets r mainly frozen from the fishery ports cos of cost. [;)]

U try to ask yr market fish seller where he gets his fish so fresh. I curious too? [confused]

• Praise 1

If not Mercury then maybe tapeworms!!!

http://www.georgianewsday.com/news/regional/290898-sushi-lover-s-entire-body-left-riddled-with-tapeworm-parasites-after-eating-contaminated-sashimi.html

It is the most expensive - and many would argue delicious - part of a sushi menu.

But one man's love of sashimi nearly killed him after it led to his body becoming riddled with worms.

The Chinese man had gone to his doctor complaining of stomach ache and itchy skin.

To his horror, scans revealed his entire body had been infected with tapeworm parasites after eating too much sashimi - raw slices of fish.

There are some stalls selling these kind of fish from malaysia. The fish stall I go to is one of them. Only downside is his fish is limited by what he is able to get so not always have the fish I am looking for and he doesn't open all the time. Cuz sometimes no fish. His fish also very cheap. Normally can buy 3-4 fish for less than $20. I go other stalls in that market and buy the same amount of fish and I'll easily spend at least 50% more.

Edited by Nzy

hmmm... expert.

any place I can do some catching?

U wan to catch fish or mermaids? [sly][laugh]

Honestly u wil have better chance of catching a mermaid in SG waters.

Fish u go supermarket better. At least u prob go home not empty handed. Hahahaha.

I do most of my easy fishing in Johor n Tg.Pinang. Or sometimes Kuching or Phuket. [thumbsup]

Serious?, how often you go and catch fish?

Not as often as I wud like to now.

Fish getting less. Cost getting more. Now I just take Omega 3 capsules for my daily fish intake. [:(]

So u guys interested on going fishing?

Maybe if I arrange a easy 1 day trip(early morning to evening) to Johor waters on weekdays. Who s interested?

4 kaki n we can arrange a trip. [nod] Small boat fish coastal waters n mangrove areas.

Catch likely KBL, Grouper, Ang Kueh n Snappers.. Average abt 2kgs n sometimes 4-5kgs. [thumbsup]

If not good catch.....Just buy really fresh live fish back. Much cheaper than here. [grin] Got live prawns n crabs too. These from the fish farms n kelongs.

↡ Advertisement