Cheap Car Rental - Unpleasant Experience

Toeknee_33

I had to leave my car at the Grandstand (Old Turf Club) for a few days to troubleshoot a starting problem. I figured I'd better rent a car from there to tide me over the few car-less days.

I accessed sgcarmart.com and called a car rental company cum car dealer located at the same car mall, after seeing it had a Picanto (M), which I fancied for its low rental price and fun-to-drive appeal. I called and was told its available.

10 minutes later, I walked over to the shop and was told by the female sales consultant that it was not available anymore. She said "the car didn't come back, what can I do?" At that moment I feel I had been lied to and snooked, but well, OK lor, so I settled for the next cheapest model which was an old Suzuki Liana (M).

It costs a reasonable $60 a day but I was persuaded by her to take the car for 3 days @$50/day instead. I thought about it and agreed. Paid up $150 + $300 deposit in NETS.

I was then informed that Insurance coverage was 3rd Party only, with an excess of $2500. Own damage - you make good at your own costs..Gulp! OK lor, I then prayed for good luck.

Upon car collection, I found it was dirty inside and outside, and comes standard with a pair of drive-shafts that crackled very loudly when you apply a small amount of steering lock. It was damn embarrassing and I fear that the couplings would break. It was almost un-driveable.

I decided to returned the car after 1 day, although I paid for 3 days. I asked for a small rebate on my rental fees, thinking that both parties stood to gain; I get back some money, and they can release the car for rental income again for the next 2 days. My request was refused, the same sales consultant insisted that I had agreed to rent for 3 days and no premature return is allowed. Well.. OK Lor! What to do! I lose again lor! Returned the car grudgingly.

Then the sales consultant told me they can't return my $300 deposit back immediately as the boss was not around to sign the cheque and they don't have any cash (!?!?). Unbelievable. Promised to pop a cheque into my bank account the next day. OK Lor!

The next day, the promised drop cheque didn't happen. I got a call at 6:30pm from the sales consultant, saying that she didn't receive my account number via SMS (when I had sent it to her HP in front of her the previous day). Crap! AND the boss now insisted that I come pick up the deposit by hand. I was like...WTF!

I told her OK I will pick up the deposit by hand personally but this they have just made this already less-than-pleasant experience with IGUA MOTORING totally unpalatable! It somehow also cements the general perception that car dealers are less than scrupulous people...sad!

Or maybe I am just a cheapskate!

Edited by Toeknee_33
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

As usual, dealings with used car industry ppl is the same as dealing with sim lim square ppl.

To be fair, there are some good people in the car industry. I'm on my 15th car in 25 years of motoring and I may have been lucky to have met some honest, straight dealing people. We must understand that they have to make money and we must allow them a margin to do so, but some traders are are just too much. And its these bad hats that spoils the industry.

• Praise 5

in Singapore car related industry is the blackest industry,

if no special reason, better far away them,

greedy, sham, cunning...etc, all human kind's ugly behaviors can be found in this industry,

don't know why Singapore govet never consolid this industry,

it seriously destroied Singapore good Image on the world

• Praise 1

@toeknee_33, any pics of the condition of the car that is so bad that you are talking about?

No i did not take any pictures of the broken drive shafts :) Edited by Toeknee_33

don't know why this kind of company still can survive,

manual compact car $S60day/per not so cheap, car dirty, mal-function,

if i'm not wrong, S$75 day/per can rent Civic (AT) from reputed rental company

I did once rental from a shop at bukit merah for an altis.

During return car time i was check around car body, rim , tyre and all lighting with photo when i reach there.

After 3 hrs, salesman call me and say he found a big crack on brand new tyre on the car which i rental.

In fact plus i am lucky lowballer which take photo before return, and the tyre was near botak instead of brand new.

After 10 minutes of arguing, i whatsapp him the photo i took and silent...... and he didn't even send invoice to me to collect rental fee.

Maybe paiseh liao.

After reading all the horror stories abt bad rental companies, I find tat I must come and praise this particular XXXX company...

My one and only experience with car rental co. surprisingly is a VERY good experience...

Well... It happened last year when I needed an estima for 8 days. Reach the shop and was greeted by an ah lian minah...

Cut story short, she quoted me wrong price ($90/day instead of $150/day). We verbally agreed on the T&C immediately, one week later when I went to collect car, was told by the manager in charge tat they will honor the quoted price as its a mistake on their end.

Upon returning of car, was worried tat they might lowball me with rim rash, scratches on body, etc...

Ended up, all my worries were unfounded!!!

Tks to them for the great experience and I would be more than glad to share info with MCFers who intends to rent cars.

Edited by Ronleo
  • Praise 3

I did once rental from a shop at bukit merah for an altis.

During return car time i was check around car body, rim , tyre and all lighting with photo when i reach there.

After 3 hrs, salesman call me and say he found a big crack on brand new tyre on the car which i rental.

In fact plus i am lucky lowballer which take photo before return, and the tyre was near botak instead of brand new.

After 10 minutes of arguing, i whatsapp him the photo i took and silent...... and he didn't even send invoice to me to collect rental fee.

Maybe paiseh liao.

Dude i feel u man. I kenna the same scenario as u. my case was the salesman wanna claim a scratch on the car bumper from me.

I juz told the salesman that "before i took the car out u din state specifically state the cosmetic condition of the vehicle, you merely wrote car is mechanically functioning" so i return a mechanically functioning car back lor. Plus he din archive a photo of the car with the time and date stamp before i drove off. Whats there to claim against me?

Dude i feel u man. I kenna the same scenario as u. my case was the salesman wanna claim a scratch on the car bumper from me.

I juz told the salesman that "before i took the car out u din state specifically state the cosmetic condition of the vehicle, you merely wrote car is mechanically functioning" so i return a mechanically functioning car back lor. Plus he din archive a photo of the car with the time and date stamp before i drove off. Whats there to claim against me?

All those salesman was chao ah gua style la, when you talk to them softly, they bite you.

If you speak louder and firmer, they will go stand. All lowdown filthy ah gua always wanted to chop carrot to get more profit.

↡ Advertisement