Cheap Car Rental - Unpleasant Experience

Toeknee_33

Thank you for sharing your experience and it should be an eye opener to those who need to rent a car for whatsoever reason.

Wanting a cheap option for the sake of prudence is not a sin and therefore, there is no need to demean yourself.

The trouble with most car dealers cum or rental agents are their lack of scruples.

Your experience could have happened to many decent customers who simply want a decent deal - NOT A RAW ONE. Obviously, this company is one EVERYONE should avoid for the sake of avoiding frustrations.

I had to leave my car at the Grandstand (Old Turf Club) for a few days to troubleshoot a starting problem. I figured I'd better rent a car from there to tide me over the few car-less days.

I accessed sgcarmart.com and called a car rental company cum car dealer located at the same car mall, after seeing it had a Picanto (M), which I fancied for its low rental price and fun-to-drive appeal. I called and was told its available.

10 minutes later, I walked over to the shop and was told by the female sales consultant that it was not available anymore. She said "the car didn't come back, what can I do?" At that moment I feel I had been lied to and snooked, but well, OK lor, so I settled for the next cheapest model which was an old Suzuki Liana (M).

It costs a reasonable $60 a day but I was persuaded by her to take the car for 3 days @$50/day instead. I thought about it and agreed. Paid up $150 + $300 deposit in NETS.

I was then informed that Insurance coverage was 3rd Party only, with an excess of $2500. Own damage - you make good at your own costs..Gulp! OK lor, I then prayed for good luck.

Upon car collection, I found it was dirty inside and outside, and comes standard with a pair of drive-shafts that crackled very loudly when you apply a small amount of steering lock. It was damn embarrassing and I fear that the couplings would break. It was almost un-driveable.

I decided to returned the car after 1 day, although I paid for 3 days. I asked for a small rebate on my rental fees, thinking that both parties stood to gain; I get back some money, and they can release the car for rental income again for the next 2 days. My request was refused, the same sales consultant insisted that I had agreed to rent for 3 days and no premature return is allowed. Well.. OK Lor! What to do! I lose again lor! Returned the car grudgingly.

Then the sales consultant told me they can't return my $300 deposit back immediately as the boss was not around to sign the cheque and they don't have any cash (!?!?). Unbelievable. Promised to pop a cheque into my bank account the next day. OK Lor!

The next day, the promised drop cheque didn't happen. I got a call at 6:30pm from the sales consultant, saying that she didn't receive my account number via SMS (when I had sent it to her HP in front of her the previous day). Crap! AND the boss now insisted that I come pick up the deposit by hand. I was like...WTF!

I told her OK I will pick up the deposit by hand personally but this they have just made this already less-than-pleasant experience with IGUA MOTORING totally unpalatable! It somehow also cements the general perception that car dealers are less than scrupulous people...sad!

Or maybe I am just a cheapskate!

Edited by Neutralsg
↡ Advertisement

Since u already have a car so u sud already have insurance cover for any car u drive so why u need to take their Ins for 3rd party?

Yr current car ins sud cover it already. [confused]

Also when u found the car lousy, why not just ask to change another car? Maybe just top-up abit for a better car?

I just remember when u take the car it has a full tank of petrol n u have to return with a full tank.

Minoe scratches they dun bother.

Or u say they changed the tire to a damaged tire n try to claim that from u. Now that cheating. [furious]

• Praise 1

Hi Neutralsg, thanks for your supportive words. Yes I wanted to share my experience so that others can know about it. We should vote with our consumer dollar and hopefully over time weed out these bad hats.

There were several other crappy things said to me that really made the experience quite intolerable for me but I did not describe it in my post for brevity's sake.

Well, calling myself a cheapskate was self depreciation, not self demeaning :)

I just wanted a car with a manual gearbox to exercise my dormant left foot, and that usually means its gotta be a small car, or a really expensive one!

Since u already have a car so u sud already have insurance cover for any car u drive so why u need to take their Ins for 3rd party?

Also when u found the car lousy, why not just ask to change another car? Maybe just top-up abit for a better car?

I just remember when u take the car it has a full tank of petrol n u have to return with a full tank.

Minoe scratches they dun bother.

Or u say they changed the tire to a damaged tire n try to claim that from u. Now that cheating. [furious]

Hi Pisces69, thanks for the insurance advice; will check out if my policy covers all cars that I drive.

I think you can see from the tale that I am a mostly tolerant guy, accepting 1 small crappy thing after another, until the crap boiled over to the point I buay tahan.

Car insurance covers a specific vehicle, not just a specific driver. That's why if you own more than one car, all of them need to be insured and you have to pay more - it's not like you pay a certain amount and all cars you drive are insured. When you drive a different car which isn't your own the insurance terms will be that of the other car. Rental cars also have different insurance policies. Therefore, your own insurance policy will not cover a rented car or any other car not listed in your policy for that matter.

Having said that, most companies should not require additional payment to pay for insurance as they already pay a fixed amount each year. The net rental fee should be all there is to pay.

Excess also varies widely and some smaller companies even have excess of $5k or $10k. It depends on the terms the insurers work out with the company. Would suggest that anyone who rents cars check with the company if a car camera can be provided, so you can prove your innocence in event of any incident which isn't your fault. If they don't, it might be worth putting one of your own in the car for the duration of the rental period.

Car insurance covers a specific vehicle, not just a specific driver. That's why if you own more than one car, all of them need to be insured and you have to pay more - it's not like you pay a certain amount and all cars you drive are insured. When you drive a different car which isn't your own the insurance terms will be that of the other car. Rental cars also have different insurance policies. Therefore, your own insurance policy will not cover a rented car or any other car not listed in your policy for that matter.

Yes, if your current car insurance enjoying 50% NCD and you buy a 2nd car, this 2nd car will have to buy a new insurance and earn the NCD start from scratch with 0% NCD. However, you can transfer your current 50% NCD policy to your new car and buy a new insurance with 0% NCD with your current car if the 2nd car's value is higher, so can save a bit from the premium.

Recently just rented a car from a car rental company for a month while waiting for my new car arrival @ Kaki Bukit, pretty good service at reasonable rate for a Lancer, just paid rental fee and no deposit is required. Car condition so so with lot of scratches but they do mark it clearly in the handover form. Call them up and told them wanna drive the car to Malaysia-KL, and try to check with them the car is it reliable enough to drive for long distance, they said no problem and told me if I'm worry can bring back the car to their work shop and check before the journey, and they did a servicing and checking on the car FOC, the salesman there pretty friendly although all look like ah Beng. First "Like" to them. (There is additional charge for trip to Malaysia)

Due to new car fulfilment delay by 2 days and got to extend the car for 2 more days, and due to they claim that they don't have booking and able to returned them on Friday for their next booking, they even waive the rental fee for this 2 days. Called them up and ask them to pick up the car from the car's show room while picking up the new ride, they did it at a minimal charge and no question ask on the car condition and they just drove away after paying them the outstanding balance for the additional charges for Malaysia trip. 2nd "like" to them.

Their service level is highly recommended, if the car condition can be slightly better, that will be fantastic experience. So I think there is still good people in car's trade.

• Praise 2

Hi Pisces69, thanks for the insurance advice; will check out if my policy covers all cars that I drive.

I think you can see from the tale that I am a mostly tolerant guy, accepting 1 small crappy thing after another, until the crap boiled over to the point I buay tahan.

Ya we have just too many tolerant pple in Spore. Maybe thats why when biz get away with it, they wil dare to do it again to the next guy.

If I think those biz trying to cheat me, I wil get even.

I tell u. Last time after abt 15 years of problem free AC use for my house AC we called the shop who installed the AC to do a service.

U know what...... The bustards took out my perfectly good compressor n put a spoilt one in.

I found it strange n called my fren in this line n he check n told me they changed to a non-original compressor (different brand)

I called the AC shop n the ger dun wan to tok to me. I told her I going to make a police report. She then got the 2 guys to call me.

I farked then upside down n said I wan a Brand New Compressor by tomorrow or I make police report they comitted theft. No compromise by me.

Next day they quai quai came n fitted a brand new compressor n I warned then if anything goes wrong with my AC within the next few months.....I wil hold them responsible n make a Poice report.

My AC worked fine after that. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Recently just rented a car from a car rental company for a month while waiting for my new car arrival @ Kaki Bukit, pretty good service at reasonable rate for a Lancer, just paid rental fee and no deposit is required. Car condition so so with lot of scratches but they do mark it clearly in the handover form. Call them up and told them wanna drive the car to Malaysia-KL, and try to check with them the car is it reliable enough to drive for long distance, they said no problem and told me if I'm worry can bring back the car to their work shop and check before the journey, and they did a servicing and checking on the car FOC, the salesman there pretty friendly although all look like ah Beng. First "Like" to them. (There is additional charge for trip to Malaysia)

How much you paid for your 1 month rental?

Having said that, most companies should not require additional payment to pay for insurance as they already pay a fixed amount each year. The net rental fee should be all there is to pay.

Excess also varies widely and some smaller companies even have excess of $5k or $10k. It depends on the terms the insurers work out with the company. Would suggest that anyone who rents cars check with the company if a car camera can be provided, so you can prove your innocence in event of any incident which isn't your fault. If they don't, it might be worth putting one of your own in the car for the duration of the rental period.

I have checked with my various Ins Cos b4 n cfm my policy cover any car I drive not just my own car.

Thats why one time I rented a car n told them I already have a car n its covered by a Comprehensive policy n they said then I dun need to take additional Ins for their rental car.

U read yr ins policy.

Only if I dun have my own car already covered I need to get ins cover form the rental company.

It says somethin like U can drive any car as long as not for racing. I can drive any of my frens cars on my policy n not theirs.

Call yr Ins Co to check on this.

I have checked with my various Ins Cos b4 n cfm my policy cover any car I drive not just my own car.

Thats why one time I rented a car n told them I already have a car n its covered by a Comprehensive policy n they said then I dun need to take additional Ins for their rental car.

U read yr ins policy.

Only if I dun have my own car already covered I need to get ins cover form the rental company.

It says somethin like U can drive any car as long as not for racing. I can drive any of my frens cars on my policy n not theirs.

That's very strange.

Don't own any cars under my name in Singapore now, but in past experience, the old insurance policies only covered the said vehicle, not others. Was such a thing stated in black and white in your policy? If it was just a verbal assurance by the agent then it doesn't count because they could have made a mistake. If you have it stated clearly in your current policy, can scan and upload (with sensitive data edited out)? Genuinely interested to find out more.

My family is in the car rental business, and I am aware that for rental, the policies are very different. Most insurers impose strict terms on the rental cars and hirers who do not meet that profile are not covered even if they have comprehensive policies of their own. Will check with the insurance people about this and update the result.

Meanwhile, anyone else has a policy with such terms or can confirm if such a thing is possible?

That's very strange.

Don't own any cars under my name in Singapore now, but in past experience, the old insurance policies only covered the said vehicle, not others. Was such a thing stated in black and white in your policy? If it was just a verbal assurance by the agent then it doesn't count because they could have made a mistake. If you have it stated clearly in your current policy, can scan and upload (with sensitive data edited out)? Genuinely interested to find out more.

My family is in the car rental business, and I am aware that for rental, the policies are very different. Most insurers impose strict terms on the rental cars and hirers who do not meet that profile are not covered even if they have comprehensive policies of their own. Will check with the insurance people about this and update the result.

Meanwhile, anyone else has a policy with such terms or can confirm if such a thing is possible?

Pleaee read yr policy.

Mine had a clause "Policy holder is authorised to drive any car etc"

Better check yr policy n also with yr Ins Co if u not sure. I checked with mine.

If in doubt.Always check with the Relevant Authority.

That's very strange.

I think logically car insurance don't work this way ba, If I have such policy and having 5 cars and I'm the only driver, then just need to buy 1 insurance policy already, then the road tax how? Anyway, I'm just a consumer and perhaps I'm wrong. [:p]

The best insurance arrangement that I heard before for multiple cars owner was you can transfer your highest NCD policy to the highest value car in order to save some, and this is also depends on how much your insurance agent willing to help to make this arrangement.

I think logically car insurance don't work this way ba, If I have such policy and having 5 cars and I'm the only driver, then just need to buy 1 insurance policy already, then the road tax how? Anyway, I'm just a consumer and perhaps I'm wrong. [:p]

The best insurance arrangement that I heard before for multiple cars owner was you can transfer your highest NCD policy to the highest value car in order to save some, and this is also depends on how much your insurance agent willing to help to make this arrangement.

Exactly, that's why I'm quite surprised to hear about such a policy. First time I've heard something like this, so waiting for others to chip in on this.

U read yr ins policy.

Yes there is such a clause but perhaps it was the way it was put across.

I just checked my insurance cert.

The clause goes "The policyholder may also drive a Motor Car not belonging to or not hired (under a hire purchase agreement or otherwise) to him or his employer or his partner"

• Praise 1

Verified with a friend, some insurance policies have this clause indeed. Learnt something new. Thanks to those who shared.

Not all have it, though. Checked with a couple of friends and relatives regarding their comprehensive policies and besides the people entitled to drive being "the policyholder" and "anyone driving on the policyholder's permission etc.", they don't have that line about the policyholder being allowed to drive a vehicle not belonging to him etc. My and my family's previous cars' policies didn't have such clauses either. Probably that's why I've never come across it.

But anyway, for rental cars, even if you don't have a car of your own, there's no reason why you should pay extra to get insurance cover from the rental company as the car should already be insured to begin with and this should be factored into the rental fee. Failure to have proper insurance for the car is illegal. Unless you're talking about collision damage waiver to lower the excess so you avoid paying a lot of cash upfront in event of an accident.

Pleaee read yr policy.

Mine had a clause "Policy holder is authorised to drive any car etc"

Better check yr policy n also with yr Ins Co if u not sure. I checked with mine.

If in doubt.Always check with the Relevant Authority.

P69, your insurance covers you to drive any car but the rental company has to buy insurance for their rental car and you need specific rental insurance for that... if not, they cannot claim in the event of accident or missing etc.... as our normal car insurance does not allow you to claim if you lend the car to another person for consideration/benefits.....

Exactly, that's why I'm quite surprised to hear about such a policy. First time I've heard something like this, so waiting for others to chip in on this.

you are insuring the car rather than the person... that's why is car insurance not personal accident insurance.. lol

↡ Advertisement