Beware motorized wheelchairs and scooters

Wbucket

am thinking of getting a scooter to travel short distances.. anybody would like to share their experiences in owning a electric skate scooter and what brand is worth buying?

looking for something with good maneuver (especially downslope), acceptable battery lifespan, reasonable priced.

thanks in advance!

I bought the previous generation of this : http://www.sgelectricscooters.com/#!e-two/c22x8

Cost me $950. Actually can buy from China via Taobao. With sea-shipping, should cost about $700. But no guarantee that its in working condition on collection. Thats why I bought from the company above.

Actually, its not easy to maneuver as the wheel is very small. Turning radius is very large. Usually to U-turn, I put my feet on the ground and lift the scooter to turn.

Downslope is very dangerous for this model as it uses magnetic brakes. (something like engine brake). They have other models that offers hydraulic brakes if braking is of huge concern to you. The few times I had to e-brake, I jumped off and held on to the scooter. Dangerous, but din get injured.

Specs for the 1st generation is 20km. The new one is advertised as 25km. For me, Battery life is about 17km. I know because I had to push it back home twice. BTW, the battery meter is bloody inaccurate.

post-50942-0-20199600-1409632449.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

these things are street legal meh? they go all over the place, pedestrian walkways, roads, underpass.

imo they are a nuisance and road hazard.

these things are street legal meh? they go all over the place, pedestrian walkways, roads, underpass.

This is its killer feature of e-scooter. e-bike needs LTA approval and cannot go on pavement. No such rules for e-scooter; in fact, no rules.

What you gonna do about it?

Turbocharged

seems to be a lot on the market today...

from $200 to $1000.... if only there are more reviews

Edited by Karoon

This is its killer feature of e-scooter. e-bike needs LTA approval and cannot go on pavement. No such rules for e-scooter; in fact, no rules.

10641141_10204415486563787_1918102496385

It's not allowed at parks, pavement, roads, as read in a newspaper article not long ago. If all these places you can't use, you can only use in private places like Condominium, etc.

Hypersonic

Use at home.

Yup... ride from bedroom to toilet pang sai then to kitchen drink water and then back to bedroom again [laugh] [laugh]

Beware.

Driving out of a HDB carpark one day, I was surprised by a motorized wheelchair zooming by, crossing the road.

They can go really fast and the profile is very low. Please be careful of this when you are driving.

• Praise 4

Have you met Red Flag? That one more hiong and is always in Paya Lebar, Ubi area.

Your video is at Holland. The handicap lao unker did not encroach into your lane etc.

Beware.

Driving out of a HDB carpark one day, I was surprised by a motorized wheelchair zooming by, crossing the road.

They can go really fast and the profile is very low. Please be careful of this when you are driving.

Edited by Achtung
  • Praise 2

Yes, this was Holland, opposite the Holland Market food centre, there is a multi-storey carpark.

More to come as the population ages and requires mobility

Precisely. I think we will see many more of these 'vehicles' in the near future, zooming all over the place.

I heard on the radio that the scooters are so powerful, they can reach speeds of 40km/h or something like that.

Maybe they need to be classified as motor-bikes.

Have you met Red Flag? That one more hiong and is always in Paya Lebar, Ubi area.

Your video is at Holland. The handicap lao unker did not encroach into your lane etc.

Haven't met Red Flag.

I have nothing against this uncle, I think he checked the traffic before zooming across the road, which is very good.

However, as a motorist, I was surprised to see a fast moving object zooming by me. I need to be more careful too.

Edited by Boringchap

This is not zooming, I spotted one traveling on main road at 30-40km/h the wheelchair like normal wheelchair but equipped with powerful battery pack below and steering handle, he can overtake some slow moving buses, my jaw dropped when I saw that.

↡ Advertisement