Motorcycle accidents 'mostly of rider's doing'

Ender

http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/story20141020-300024

Nearly three in four motorcyclists here have had an accident before, and most admit that the mishaps were of their own doing.

Poor judgment calls - from tailgating to cutting off other vehicles - were the leading reason why they lost control of their motorbikes, a recent survey has found.

But in accidents involving external factors, other vehicles were blamed as the leading culprit, the findings revealed.

Many riders also said that they have experienced aggressive behaviour from other motorists.

The survey on motorcycle safety, commissioned by local automaker Alife Air Automobiles, was conducted between July and last month, and polled 472 riders online and through face-to-face interviews.

Among the respondents who said they had been in an accident before, 30 per cent cited decision-making errors as the reason, 18 per cent said it was because they violated road rules such as by speeding, and another 13 per cent attributed it to fatigue.

In total, reasons related to the motorcyclist's own actions accounted for 71 per cent of accidents, the study indicated.

Gerard Pereira, operations manager at the Singapore Safety Driving Centre (SSDC), said it was good that motorcyclists were aware of their actions in causing the accidents.

Still, he often sees riders squeezing between other vehicles and going too fast.

The way some motorcyclists negotiate turns at traffic lights can be problematic too.

Sulaiman Ahmad, an SSDC instructor with 13 years of teaching experience, said: "The bikes often do not form up (to turn), like the cars do. Some come from the left and heavy vehicles will not be able to see them - it's quite dangerous."

While the riders polled readily admitted their shortcomings, the study also found that 29 per cent of the accidents were caused by external factors, including other vehicles (15 per cent), motorcycle defects (6 per cent) and weather conditions (5 per cent).

Close to half of all respondents said they have, in the past year, experienced "hostile actions" from other motorists - defined in the study as verbal, visual and physical abuse - or from motorists using their vehicles in an aggressive fashion towards the riders.

Tan Zong Ren, 29, a broker who rides to work daily, said drivers need to "start treating motorcycles like cars".

"Many a time, drivers do not move fully into the next lane to overtake. They will move just enough past the motorcyclists, who risk being sideswiped," Mr Tan added.

Devan Nair, chairman and group chief executive of Alife Air Automobiles, feels that motorcyclists could do with a better understanding of how their vehicles perform in different circumstances.

"Sometimes, riders don't understand the aerodynamic design of the motorbike and when they take a corner, they lose control," he said.

In April, his company launched the A-Service Centre, now located at Enterprise Hub, which offers professional diagnostic advice and servicing for motorbikes.

Through this facility, he hopes to better educate riders about their machines.

"The motorcycle is a precision tool, not just about fancy design," he added.

[email protected]

- See more at: http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/story20141020-300024#sthash.HzFLHIYM.dpuf

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

The ability for motorbikes to squeeze in between traffic has increase the chances of bikes meeting an accident over cars.

• Praise 1

Tan Zong Ren, 29, a broker who rides to work daily, said drivers need to "start treating motorcycles like cars".

"Many a time, drivers do not move fully into the next lane to overtake. They will move just enough past the motorcyclists, who risk being sideswiped," Mr Tan added.

Somehow I don't believe this clown doesn't overtake cars by the side at traffic stops or straddle across lanes while riding. If motorcyclists don't treat themselves "like cars" and ride dangerously, then it is hypocritical to complain when cars treat them the same way.

• Praise 9
  • Dislike 1

This is hilarious.

I especially like how the motortiam that commissioned the survey calls themselves "Singapore's only automobile manufacturer".

Everybody knows that motorcyclists will blame everything but themselves after accidents. Most drivers would too [laugh]

• Praise 5

Somehow I don't believe this clown doesn't overtake cars by the side at traffic stops or straddle across lanes while riding. If motorcyclists don't treat themselves "like cars" and ride dangerously, then it is hypocritical to complain when cars treat them the same way.

Obviously a comment meant for the papers and definitely not applied in real life by most motorcyclists...

1.5m should also apply for motocycles.

If only they kept the same distance on the road...

• Praise 2

Actually, the same percentage applies to drivers, pedestrains....... too!

Same Same.... most accidents caused by drivers are also of their own making - speeding, reckless...... You mean trees will suddenly appear in front of them?

Same same for walkers.... some "speeding" but most are too slow and too engrossed with facebook and social medias on their phones..... walk across without checking traffic. I have seen some banging into walls in void decks. So, is it their own fault or their phones' fault?

Same same for cyclists.... zooming past without even glancing for traffic, speeding, reckless.... It's also their own making.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 5

(edited)

Then they should behave like car.

1. when doing right turn, queue behind a car, instead of lining up on the left with the 1st car.

2. Red traffic light, as above.

3. On the move. Take one lane instead of straddling between lanes.

4. When over taking, behave like a car. Check of right lane is clear, and use the overtaking lane to over take. Do not squeeze in between cars to overtake.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 7

Then they should behave like car.

1. when doing right turn, queue behind a car, instead of lining up on the left with the 1st car.

2. Red traffic light, as above.

3. On the move. Take one lane instead of straddling between lanes.

4. When over taking, behave like a car. Check of right lane is clear, and use the overtaking lane to over take. Do not squeeze in between cars to overtake.

Stop squeezing inbetween cars and slowly move off when green holding every else behind.

Stop parking on kerb and pay parking like cars.

Actually for us to treat bikes as cars, they should start behaving like one. Instead of squeezing and driving on the lane markings, they should keep to the centre of the lane.

Also one very common mistakes by riders, which alot riders are not aware is that, they are not allowed on the extreme right lane on expressways. As cars are moving fast, it is difficult for them to react to bikes weaving in and out of traffic. Further, bike have a much more smaller dimension than a car. Which most drivers easily missed them out. But for riders, to cover their own ass, keep to the CENTRE of the lane and you are safe.

Usually they are not able to claim 100% against the other party in a RTA cos they themselves are not keeping to their lanes. ..

As for drivers, just keep a look out for them. Afterall it is not worth to be involved with a RTA with them...

• Praise 2

Actually for us to treat bikes as cars, they should start behaving like one. Instead of squeezing and driving on the lane markings, they should keep to the centre of the lane.

Also one very common mistakes by riders, which alot riders are not aware is that, they are not allowed on the extreme right lane on expressways. As cars are moving fast, it is difficult for them to react to bikes weaving in and out of traffic. Further, bike have a much more smaller dimension than a car. Which most drivers easily missed them out. But for riders, to cover their own ass, keep to the CENTRE of the lane and you are safe.

Usually they are not able to claim 100% against the other party in a RTA cos they themselves are not keeping to their lanes. ..

As for drivers, just keep a look out for them. Afterall it is not worth to be involved with a RTA with them...

Ahahahaa look, another person who thinks that bikes aren't allowed on the overtaking lane.

Dey, now 2014 liao. Not 1984.

• Praise 2

my sentiments exactly [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator

Ahahahaa look, another person who thinks that bikes aren't allowed on the overtaking lane.

Dey, now 2014 liao. Not 1984.

I looked at this thread and only one thought in my mind "Stay out of this." ^_^

• Praise 4

I looked at this thread and only one thought in my mind "Stay out of this." ^_^

you have another option..................let the drivers and the bikers crash................and you come along.......................................... with a lock!!!............ [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

This is hilarious.

I especially like how the motortiam that commissioned the survey calls themselves "Singapore's only automobile manufacturer".

Everybody knows that motorcyclists will blame everything but themselves after accidents. Most drivers would too [laugh]

I rmb an accident that I had with a motorbike, it was my fault and I came down and assist him and apologize, but got 2-3 uncles driving pass will stop whine down window and kpkb at me non stop, even told the bikie that they will act as witness if I were to run away, even though they never witness anything. Cant believe so many singaporeans so distrustful of one another.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3