Will battery be flat after not driving for 6 weeks?

Ver45

Hi guys, hope I can get some advice on my car battery.

I got the keys to my Honda City a few weeks ago. If I am not going to drive the car for up to 6 or 7 weeks at one time, how likely is the battery going to be flat and the engine cannot be started? This is considering that the battery is new and the car is in stock condition.

I tried looking for a battery manager which seems to be a popular deivce in the States, but no shops here sell it.

Some websites advise to disconnect the negative terminal, but I'm not sure if it's easy (and safe) enough to do yourself.

Thanks in advance!

↡ Advertisement

I got the keys to my Honda City a few weeks ago. If I am not going to drive the car for up to 6 or 7 weeks at one time, how likely is the battery going to be flat and the engine cannot be started? This is considering that the battery is new and the car is in stock condition.

I tried looking for a battery manager which seems to be a popular deivce in the States, but no shops here sell it.

Some websites advise to disconnect the negative terminal, but I'm not sure if it's easy (and safe) enough to do yourself.

Thanks in advance!

Well,best ask a trusted friend drive it once,a few days,even the petrol in the tank,left for 6-7 weeks is not a good idea,also the tyres,may have 'flat spot'...

lol no family member to crank up ur engine every once a week ar.

Just start the engine w/o moving car,also not good for the exhaust system,water condensed in it can cause corrosion... [:(]

How difficult can it be to disconnect the negative batt terminal? All that's needed to do is loosen a bolt and lift...done.

Go to youtube and watch a few video clips on how to do it.

Get a batt charger from ctek.

http://www.mmbalmainauto.com.au/PDF/Why_CTEK_Battery_Chargers.pdf

Eastlink Industrial Estate - Blk. 3018 unit 02-23, Bedok North Street 5,
Singapore 486132. Tel : 63381138, 62421138 & 62422822.
Fax : +65 624222282

Lim Battery & electrical Co

If your car is stock (no aftermarket alarm / ICE) and battery is new, it should not be an issue. I was outstationed frequenty a few years back and my car was not started for up to 2 months at each time, and I manage to start the car at first crank when I came back.

It's easy to disconnect the negative terminal, but it will affect your car alarm and also your ECU.

• Praise 2

best to get a trusted friend to bring it for a spin at least once. even if your batteries dont die, your brakes might stick.

so when you finally drive off after 7 weeks, there will be a heartwrenching "THUNK" sound from the brakes trying to detach themselves from the wheels

best to get a trusted friend to bring it for a spin at least once. even if your batteries dont die, your brakes might stick.

so when you finally drive off after 7 weeks, there will be a heartwrenching "THUNK" sound from the brakes trying to detach themselves from the wheels

The thunk from the brakes may not be due to long time didn't move.

My car has this 'problem' even from next day drive.

Know the cause?

Thanks in advance!

If the owner manual never mention anything on short period of non usage and the car is under warranty,

you may want to check with the 24 hours breakdown service assistance by Honda Singapore.

While warranty is "paid", you may want to seek further clarification with them.

Get an expensive AAS Membership or find someone who has that expensive AAS Membership.

Please check their terms and conditions.

I would suggest against any DIY - too much electronics in cars these days.

Know the cause?

Does it happen if handbrake is not used?

Does it happen if handbrake is not used?

Parking must use handbrake mah.

There is often quite a loud sound when moving off.

Agent say it is normal.

Probably as TS said, the brake parts stuck to each other.

Never happened in the previous cars I owned.

Know the cause?

actually, my current car has this problem also. mk6 VW golf. so now i just leave the handbrake off whenever i park at home since the ground is flat. from what i heard from some car owners, it's actually brake dust mixing with the water(morning dew?) and gumming the brakes and wheels tgtr. so when you try to move off, you're breaking the solid mixture.

the one with sound after a week of being stationary was my dad's car. but his is okay leh. as in everyday pull handbrake also okay.

Parking must use handbrake mah.

There is often quite a loud sound when moving off.

Agent say it is normal.

Probably as TS said, the brake parts stuck to each other.

Never happened in the previous cars I owned.

Eh... troubleshooting by elimination !

Of course agent will say it is normal.

I recall someone told me Chevrolet Aveo also got this problem.

This may be more prevalent with drum brakes?

If it is a brake dust issue, you can try to use a mallet to knock.

You will be surprise how much brake dust will be loosen.

Can just leave your keys with me.

I will take your car out once a week

to recharge you battery.

:D

<_<<_<<_<

Thanks in advance!

For City, it's easy enough to disconnect the negative terminal with a 10mm wrench.

You will lose all the radio settings, but otherwise no problem.

For City, it's easy enough to disconnect the negative terminal with a 10mm wrench.

You will lose all the radio settings, but otherwise no problem.

Will any important ECU settings be lost ?

Will any important ECU settings be lost ?

It depends on which car.

Some cars will just lose long term trim settings, but they can be recreated by the ecu.

But some cars are more problematic.

They lose TPS setting, which means engine will not idle properly after reconnecting back the battery.

Toyota tends to have this problem.

Other kinds of problems like losing power windows setting are easier to resolve.

Honda, Nissan, Korean cars generally have less of these of problems.

Conti cars have their own reset procedure.

When the car design depends too much on ecu settings, it can create a lot of troubles, once the battery is removed or drained flat.

↡ Advertisement