• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
191 replies to this topic | 416 praises

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

LiuDeHua
  • Premium member
    LiuDeHua
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I am considering between these few cars for purchase in 2015.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Saloon

BMW 5 Series Sedan

Audi A6

Audi A5 Sportback

Can bros here tell me which one you'll recommend and why?

Important to me is :

1) driverability. ie, handling and power must be good. 

2) as little maintenance problems as possible. I hate to go to the workshops to repair stuff, even if they are minor. Very time-wasting. 

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

LiuDeHua
  • Premium member
    LiuDeHua
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Just to add, I think the Lexus GS will fit my criteria nicely, but too bad, they failed the LOOK test.... too fugly. 

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:23 PM

Doppel
  • Premium member
    Doppel
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Just to add, I think the Lexus GS will fit my criteria nicely, but too bad, they failed the LOOK test.... too fugly. 

Agreed that the new GS's looks may not be that endearing, but I think in terms of reliability it tops your shortlisted candidates of Audi, MB and BMW.

If I may use an analogy: it's like marrying a woman, no doubt looks are important but do you want to be constantly worried whether she would be faithful?

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

None of the above as it requires you to spent sometime in the ws.

Volvobrick praised this

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

TVT
  • Premium member
    TVT
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Mercedes E-class.

Thaiyotakamli and Ictruall praised this

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

Steptronic
  • Steptronic
    Supercharged
    Author Image

BMW for drive-ability

MB for (slightly better) reliability

Well, Audi, no comments.

I agree GS is ugly with its new grill and DRL

I would prefer the previous Generation GS anytime! Bit Ah-pek though!

Jp66 and Mercs praised this

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

LiuDeHua
  • Premium member
    LiuDeHua
    4th Gear
    Author Image

BMW for drive-ability

MB for (slightly better) reliability

Well, Audi, no comments.

I agree GS is ugly with its new grill and DRL

I would prefer the previous Generation GS anytime! Bit Ah-pek though!

Power xia. I agree with all your statements.

I was previously driving a 2006 BMW 523. So many small problems...
Bulbs keep blowing, then engine check light on, then transmission, then then then I sold it.  

Drive was excellent though. Esp love the handling.

Previous GS was damn nice and classy for its generation. 

What's not good about the E-class and Audi?

Mercs praised this

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

Eighttales
  • Premium member
    Eighttales
    5th Gear
    Author Image

My vote goes to the E class. BMW a lot of tiny problems and its really really common on the roads. see until sian liao. 

the current FL E class also got quite a few but not as many. 

i test drove the E250 Avantgarde a few weeks back. quite powerful considering its only 2L.

Not gonna consider Audi due to the DSG gearbox  (im driving a Golf mk6 now)

Lexus.. very fugly but reliability is world-class since its a toyota after all.

Mercs and LiuDeHua praised this

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

Steptronic
  • Steptronic
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Face Lifted E is good looking and comfortable though. I do not find the handling and pickup is anyway nearer to 5. Audi is in between these two in both departments. Audi maintenance is generally expensive (I never owned Audi, but my close buddy is driving one). Interior is better than E and 5.

Again back to my Mantra:

To drive - BMW

To be driven - MB

All the best!

Power xia. I agree with all your statements.

I was previously driving a 2006 BMW 523. So many small problems...
Bulbs keep blowing, then engine check light on, then transmission, then then then I sold it.  

Drive was excellent though. Esp love the handling.

Previous GS was damn nice and classy for its generation. 

What's not good about the E-class and Audi?

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Face Lifted E is good looking and comfortable though. I do not find the handling and pickup is anyway nearer to 5. Audi is in between these two in both departments. Audi maintenance is generally expensive (I never owned Audi, but my close buddy is driving one). Interior is better than E and 5.

Again back to my Mantra:

To drive - BMW

To be driven - MB

All the best!

Summarised like this? [:p]

To drive - BMW

To be driven - MB

To sell - Audi

To own - Lexus

Smoothscott and Jamesc praised this

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

Whatupz
  • Whatupz
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Since when Audi A5 and A6 use DSG gearbox? I thought they are using multironic and S Tronic transmission.

My vote goes to the E class. BMW a lot of tiny problems and its really really common on the roads. see until sian liao. 

the current FL E class also got quite a few but not as many. 

i test drove the E250 Avantgarde a few weeks back. quite powerful considering its only 2L.

Not gonna consider Audi due to the DSG gearbox  (im driving a Golf mk6 now)

Lexus.. very fugly but reliability is world-class since its a toyota after all.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

Wt_know
  • Wt_know
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

To drive - BMW

To be driven - MB

it's true 20 years ago and still true now

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

Quantum
  • Quantum
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

I am considering between these few cars for purchase in 2015.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Saloon

BMW 5 Series Sedan

Audi A6

Audi A5 Sportback

Can bros here tell me which one you'll recommend and why?

Important to me is :

1) driverability. ie, handling and power must be good. 

2) as little maintenance problems as possible. I hate to go to the workshops to repair stuff, even if they are minor. Very time-wasting. 

driverability, handling is quite subjective, different people has different feedback,

above models relaibility are almost equal,

you never mentioned price, assume $$ is not issue for you,  

another foactor, what is your age? if 40s and above, Merc-E or A6, 30s BMW5, 20s A5 sportback, 

another factor, What career do you take up? or empolyer or empolyee?

if empolyer, not doubt fo for Merc-E

Mercs praised this

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

To drive - BMW

To be driven - MB

it's true 20 years ago and still true now

Not forgetting AMG hor.

Since when Audi A5 and A6 use DSG gearbox? I thought they are using multironic and S Tronic transmission.

S tronic is DSG

PDK is DSG

driverability, handling is quite subjective, different people has different feedback,

another foactor, what is your age? if 40s and above, Merc-E or A6, 30s BMW5, 20s A5 sportback, 

Talk like no talk.

Based on TS criteria, which 1?

Mercs praised this

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

LiuDeHua
  • Premium member
    LiuDeHua
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Price-wise, all 4 about the same mah. $250K to $300K...

I heard new E-class coming out early 2015? What about BMW 5-series?

Currently I am more inclined towards 5-series. 

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

Spring

If I'm not wrong the 520 was having offer few weeks back, heard from friend it's a good buy at that price but I'm not sure what the price is.

E class def coming out new one as early as next year so not sure if you keen on an outgoing model.

Audi got 2 friends who own it and the comment was eat engine oil, though not a big thing but you may have to keep a spare bottle in your boot to top up periodically. Seems it's their car characteristic.

2BDriver, Mercs, Baal and Aaronlkl praised this
<!-- isHtml:1 -->

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

GLZT
  • Premium member
    GLZT
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I think since buying new dont have to worry about reliability la. Cause its heng suay for a new car to have reliability issue.
Mercs praised this

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Couple of weeks ago, pml got event car promo, $220k, below 1k mileage

Believe price still can nego
Mercs praised this
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:40 PM

Steptronic
  • Steptronic
    Supercharged
    Author Image

F10 LCI will take at least 2 years from now to get changed. E is expected by 4Q 2015 in Singapore

My tips for you:

1. Test Drive all the cars (apple to apple route) and models you want. Take your wife or friend who can give feed back on Body Roll, passenger comfort etc.

2. Short list 2 and die die negotiate with ADs

3. Based on 1 and 2, choose one, buy and live happily ever after.

Easy right?

LiuDeHua praised this

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:13 AM

Damienic
  • Premium member
    Damienic
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Of the 3, only E class or 5 series imo. I'm not convinced about Audi's reliability nor it's driving quality. BMW may have its fair share of reliability issues but at least it drives tremendously well and so at least worth it to take the risk on reliability. E class for comfort and better reliability than 5 series. So, eventually it all boils down to what are your priorities.
Mercs and LiuDeHua praised this

Back to Conti Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Audi A6

Audi A6  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Momokai  |  Neutral Newbie

The most understated luxury executive sedan.

Read lots of articles about this car. Went down to the showroom at the weekend to have a look. Was impressed at the quality of the luxurious finish. Finally managed to have a long and thorough drive with the corporate car. Was simply blown aw... » Read More

BMW 5 Series Sedan Diesel

BMW 5 Series Sedan Diesel  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Nivlek96  |  Clutched

New BMW 520d is a worth competitor to the W213 E-Class.

The new BMW 520d is sporty and handles very well. It is a driver's car and the driving experience is hugely enjoyable. It is somewhat noisy and it seems like the noise insulation is not as well done as the Mercedes W213 E200d. The E200d is ch... » Read More

Related New Cars search on sgCarMart.com : Mercedes-Benz E-Class Saloon, BMW 5 Series Sedan, Audi A6

Quick Reply

Tags: mercedes-benz, bmw, audi, audi a5 and 5 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users