Road Hogger

Ryu

The Straits Times 11 Feb 2015

Clamp down on road hoggers

THE recent announcement that more speed cameras will be installed to deter excessive speeding on expressways is a welcome move ("Beware: Digital speed traps ahead"; Jan 30).

However, road hogging on the expressways can also cause accidents and deserves attention from the police, too.

Hoggers can take up several lanes, sometimes at speeds as low as 40kmh to 50kmh, causing other drivers to overtake them dangerously.

I hope the authorities can clamp down on road hoggers. This will also speed up traffic on the expressways.

Tan Chin Kong

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/my-point-20150211

hero spotted. [thumbsup]

Actually, I think it is safer for TPs (especially those on bikes) to go after road hoggers than speeding cars ....

We see road hoggers everyday on the road and the best thing ... all of them felt that they have nothing wrong ....

• Praise 1

Actually, I think it is safer for TPs (especially those on bikes) to go after road hoggers than speeding cars ....

We see road hoggers everyday on the road and the best thing ... all of them felt that they have nothing wrong ....

Maybe it's harder to get the road hogging judgment to stick than a clear cut speeding case. For some, road hogging is when the vehicle is not overtaking vehicles on the left, for some, 3 cars length space in front means road hogging, for some 2 cars length or lesser, so it's very relative compared to speeding where speed over the regulated limit means speeding.

This morning PIE towards Tuas, Volvo TP with lights on joined in traffic from Jln Bahar on first lane, I was 5 - 6 vehicles in front, so I kept my watch on the rear and anticipated when the TP would catch up so that I can filter out before he reaches my ka chng.

Behind me was this Mz3 keeping a good 3-4 cars distance behind me so I definitely got luxury of time to filter left. True enough, I filtered left when I saw the TP behind Mz3, that was before NTU overhead bridge. That means the Mz3 was a good 6 - 7 cars behind the next car in front and it was not overtaking vehicles on the left. TP then followed behind the Mz3 till SAFTI MI, blasted sirens, diao the Mz3 driver then proceeded on.

Clearcut case of road hogging, but did the TP stopped the driver?

Edited by StefanK

"Parking space" is also correct usage - in fact, I prefer it to "parking spot".

A special one-off edition, just like the Honda Evolution, the Subaru Vios and, of course, the awesome Ferrari Aventador. [laugh]

BTW, it's ironic that the poster who mentioned the "Maserati Gallardo" was saying that HWZ would suan the road-hog, while we're doing exactly the same thing here. In a gentle and light-hearted way, of course, but that's just because MCF peeps are nicer, in general, than HWZ peeps. :D

I have seen a Lexus Camry on the causeway...

Did have a photo somewhere...not sure where it be gone to now..

hero spotted. [thumbsup]

Ok ok ...I'll share this cite...

only problem is ---- it's from 1928

Some interesting quotes in this story

And here's a Singapore Study

It is clear that tailgating is not acknowledged as hostile, since 52% admitted to doing it while only 32% feel enraged by it. Stealing of parking spaces is evidently the most offensive behavior as 50% are enraged by it and only 16% admitted to have done it before. Hence most drivers clearly think it as unethical and do not practise it. Unwarranted high-beaming is also considered unacceptable from the results. The same goes for road hogging. All the above-mentioned behaviors should considered aggressive as they have resulted in violence in the past according to a study by the American Automobile Association1 . Moreover, 64% of respondents admitted that they would react against driving behaviors that are perceived to be aggressive and offensive. They react by displaying the very behaviors stated above which they themselves find offensive

Edited by Darryn

Nowadays I dont care already.

Just highbeam the hogger and see chance I undertake.

Those agressive ones will try to block me other than that, it's general ok.

Same... except that I'd stay behind the hogger for awhile and let him know I'm there, if he won't move.. then I'll overtake him....err, from the left. If he remains constant with his speed, then he's a true hogger. But if he speeds up to block me, then he's an *sshole!

Road hoggers doesnt read mcf

They think its safe and rightfully by law

Or some hoggers actually are regular MCFers who surf MCF with smartphone while driving, that's why slow and hog others [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

• Praise 2

some road hoggers are using phone while driving

encountered 1 last week, driving a red mazda.

bo bian, overtake from the left coz this bugger may hurt me with his negligence

Or some hoggers actually are regular MCFers who surf MCF with smartphone while driving, that's why slow and hog others [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

One hand hoggers say nothing wrong with sticking to speed limit

Other hand hoggers unable to keep below limits while exiting from expressway.

It's people with double standards.

• Praise 2

with "mounted" smartphone... "mounted". [;)]

• Praise 2

One hand hoggers say nothing wrong with sticking to speed limit

Other hand hoggers unable to keep below limits while exiting from expressway.

It's people with double standards.

Speedcams should also track and 'catch' hoggers!! Technically, some tweakings of the cams' setting should allow them to do it?

• Praise 1

Road hoggers doesnt read mcf

They think its safe and rightfully by law

Maybe Lane 1 should be renamed as "For overtaking only".... those not overtaking, stay away from this lane!!! Idea, right?? [thumbsup][thumbsup]

You may think this is useless, but it should work coz as long as there's a car in lane 2 for you to overtake, you can use lane 1 to do it, after that, go back to lane 2 until lane 2 has another car in front for you to overtake. Don't worry, normal traffic hours sure got plenty of slow cars in lane 2 for you to use lane 1 to overtake almost continuously without having to go in and out of lane 2.

If lane 2 has no cars to overtake, then nothing wrong with just using / staying in lane 2 to go where you want to go, dio bo??

Maybe Lane 1 should be renamed as "For overtaking only".... those not overtaking, stay away from this lane!!! Idea, right?? [thumbsup][thumbsup]

You may think this is useless, but it should work coz as long as there's a car in lane 2 for you to overtake, you can use lane 1 to do it, after that, go back to lane 2 until lane 2 has another car in front for you to overtake. Don't worry, normal traffic hours sure got plenty of slow cars in lane 2 for you to use lane 1 to overtake almost continuously without having to go in and out of lane 2.

If lane 2 has no cars to overtake, then nothing wrong with just using / staying in lane 2 to go where you want to go, dio bo??

Well this is of course what is meant to happen, but instead of being allowed back out to overtake the next car, having signaled your intention in good time, you will invariably be boxed in by a car in lane 1 who must die-die be one car ahead of you... so you hold your position and arguably become a lane hogger.

IMO, if the road is at or near capacity and you are keeping up with the flow speed in Lane 1, you are not obliged to move over for any normal vehicle behind if they clearly could not progress faster than you. This point seems to be lost on some... although I've never actually been hassled by a tail-gater.

• Praise 2

Well this is of course what is meant to happen, but instead of being allowed back out to overtake the next car, having signaled your intention in good time, you will invariably be boxed in by a car in lane 1 who must die-die be one car ahead of you... so you hold your position and arguably become a lane hogger.

IMO, if the road is at or near capacity and you are keeping up with the flow speed in Lane 1, you are not obliged to move over for any normal vehicle behind if they clearly could not progress faster than you. This point seems to be lost on some... although I've never actually been hassled by a tail-gater.

Taking your point one step further, if I go at 100 in lane 1 where the spd limit is 90 and the body language of the car behind is telling me to give way n let IT pass, I will most likely let it pass. How you manage not to encounter cars with such a body language? Speed king spotted!!! LOL

Taking your point one step further, if I go at 100 in lane 1 where the spd limit is 90 and the body language of the car behind is telling me to give way n let IT pass, I will most likely let it pass. How you manage not to encounter cars with such a body language? Speed king spotted!!! LOL

I do yield and change lane as soon as practicable if a car can make progress and wants to go faster than me. Usually in that situation there's nobody right behind him and so there will be space to return to lane 1 when you need to. I rarely speed, I found it makes no difference to my journey time.

The ones who make me laugh are those who think they can progress faster than you in lane 1 and so do an ostentatious undertake manouevre in lane 2 but find the gap they thought was there has disappeared by the time they are alongside, even though I haven't changed speed, or closed the safe gap to the car in front. Sometimes they make the gap and squueze ahead, and they remain one whole car ahead of me for the remainder of the stretch... 2 seconds ahead at most! Funny.

I do yield and change lane as soon as practicable if a car can make progress and wants to go faster than me. Usually in that situation there's nobody right behind him and so there will be space to return to lane 1 when you need to. I rarely speed, I found it makes no difference to my journey time.

The ones who make me laugh are those who think they can progress faster than you in lane 1 and so do an ostentatious undertake manouevre in lane 2 but find the gap they thought was there has disappeared by the time they are alongside, even though I haven't changed speed, or closed the safe gap to the car in front. Sometimes they make the gap and squueze ahead, and they remain one whole car ahead of me for the remainder of the stretch... 2 seconds ahead at most! Funny.

whatever.....just keep away from R lane if not overtaking.

The End.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7